Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:58:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686601
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Plastic tree armatures?  (Read 1404 times)

Offline Bloodsbane

• Scientist
  • AKA FKSN
    • I'm a drawer
Plastic tree armatures?
« on: March 02, 2018, 07:42:51 PM »
My google-fu has failed me miserably. I'm looking for plastic tree armatures larger than the ones on offer from Woodland Scenics, so 8"+. I have some great ones that I thought was from Heki, but my searches have turned up nothing like them.

Where do you get your plastic armatures from?

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
Re: Plastic tree armatures?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 03:20:32 AM »
Not technically intended for use as an armature, but I've done rather well with some of the soft plastic trees that come from the various creature/soldier playsets.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 04:56:18 AM »
My google-fu has failed me miserably. I'm looking for plastic tree armatures larger than the ones on offer from Woodland Scenics, so 8"+. I have some great ones that I thought was from Heki, but my searches have turned up nothing like them.

Where do you get your plastic armatures from?
I have looked as well with no luck. :-I

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 03:24:55 PM »
How about Britain's Trees? I have a whole box full of them, but sadly haven't come around to painting them just yet. They're long out of production, so you need to scour Ebay and other sources, and not all tree types would be suitable, but the oaks are great.

I am not entirely sure about the height, but by my memory, they're about the height mark you specified.

I especially love the foliage, as it's perfectly scaled for use with 28mm miniatures; each individual leaf is cast, which (to me) is a lot better than clump foliage or flock. the only downside is that it's made of a bendy plastic, so it remains to be seen how well it will hold paint, but with some washes/inks, I think a good result can be achieved.

But if you're not fold of the foliage, the tree armature itself (which is modular btw; you can place/switch/rotate all major branches) is great too. It's suitably large to work as a 'real' tree in 28mm, while not being too overly large as to be impractical on the table... :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 10:00:53 AM »
I've looked in vain myself for armatures larger than the woodland scenics ones!

Found this guide the other day on making wire ones, its straightforward and easy : http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-Quick-and-Easy-Model-Wire-Trees/   I'm going to go this route. In the guide he's making a 4 inch tree, but obviously you can go much larger, probably using more wire to get a decently thick trunk.

Aside from the woodland scenic varieties of tree I could make old gnarled oaks , silver birch, Scots pine for added variety and character! As well as acacia for my African projects.

Florist wire is pretty cheap to pick up on eBay.

Something you may want to consider anyway!

Good luck.

Offline Bloodsbane

• Scientist
  • AKA FKSN
    • I'm a drawer
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 02:31:48 PM »
Thanks guys!
The Britain's trees seem pretty hard to come by these days. I'm leaning towards sculpting the trunks and cutting up woodland scenics armatures for the smaller branches. I've made a couple of wire trees from scratch in my days, and it's a lot of labor per tree in my experience.

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 09:37:41 PM »
Try the roots of real plants boil in vinegar dry and varnish.