Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:47:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Diablo Jon does Generic Fantasy - A Collection of Dungeon Crawl Miniatures  (Read 7764 times)

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
So this is my first new project of 2018 (unless you count giving my wargames room a make over in January and February  :)) I've been feeling the fantasy itch for a while and decided to start some new fantasy armies.

Anyone interested can read my ramblings on my blog here https://jonsotherwargamesblog.wordpress.com/2018/02/20/fantasy-gaming-in-generica/

The short version is I created myself a fantasy world I've called Generica to set all my fantasy gaming in. Generica is so named because its one of those generic fantasy worlds that will shamelessly rip off Tolkien, D&D and old Warhammer  :D

Anyway my first army is one of those psudeo-medieval generic fantasy human realms I've entitled The Grand Duchy of the Black Wolf. If you are bothered there is some history and military background on the grand duchy here  https://jonsotherwargamesblog.wordpress.com/2018/03/02/the-grand-duchy-of-the-black-wolf/

and here is the first miniature for my new army the Grand Duke Adelhelm and his banner bearer. These are a couple of Fireforge knights with a couple of extra GW bits. I should point out I've always fancied doing a winter themed army, so as this is a new army I thought what the hell and went for it, so snow bases all around.

More pictures on my blog here https://jonsotherwargamesblog.wordpress.com/2018/03/02/the-grand-duke-adelhelm/

I already have a few more characters painted up and some units started so more pictures soon (hopefully)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 05:20:02 AM by Diablo Jon »

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
Re: Diablo Jon does Generic Fantasy - first up a human army
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 08:21:35 AM »
Next up for my army characters Udolf, Duke Adelhelm’s eldest son, baron of Wolfsburg. This is another Fireforge knight with a GW head, on an unknown metal horse from my bits box, the two wolfhounds are from warlord games

strangley my snow bases looks far more yellow than it does in real life I guess its a lighting issue... or the dogs  :P

more on my blog here if your interested https://jonsotherwargamesblog.wordpress.com/2018/03/03/udolf-baron-of-wolfsburg/

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 09:45:11 AM »
A great start to your first Generica army. I like the blue/purple colour scheme - they must be a bunch of rich nobs to afford those colours. I am looking forward to seeing what the down-trodden peasant man-at-arms that makes up the bulk of the army looks like.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 01:12:51 PM »
Looking good! That is a nice colour scheme.

Offline Schrumpfkopf

• Mad Scientist
    • Westfalia Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 02:21:23 AM »
Excellent start - interested to see how much actual fantasy you will introduce into that army.  :)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 04:41:13 PM by Schrumpfkopf »
westfaliaminiatures.com - proper stuff in 28mm

Offline Gallahad

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 07:13:03 AM »
Those look great! Thank you for sharing. The GW head works better in the fireforge Knight than I expected.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 07:59:10 AM »
Thanks for the nice comments guys

Excellent start - interested to see how much actual fantasy you will introduce into that that army.  :)

Not overly much I think. Quite often human armies in fantasy settings aren't all that different to historical ones though there is usually a wizard, warrior hero or the odd magic item to add some fantasy. I'm already planning out the opposition though who will have a lot more fantasy elements to them.

Those look great! Thank you for sharing. The GW head works better in the fireforge Knight than I expected.

I think the heads from the early Empire and Mordhiem plastic sets aren't overly large (there was a bit less scale creep back then) I had loads in my bitz boxes I've used on all sorts of conversions over the years but I'm down to the last few now  :'(

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 08:02:52 AM »
So talking of adding fantasy elements to the army here we have Ruztan Flamestaff court wizard to the grand duke and headmaster of the Wolfsburg College of Mages. Ruztan specializes in fire magic and dresses accordingly. Despite his advancing age his mind is as sharp as a razor as is his tongue.

I wanted to represent Ruztan in battle carried aloft on a magical pillar of flame. The pillar of flame was scratch built out of pink foam, green stuff and cotton wool. I’m not sure if it quite worked out how I had imagined it would but it still works I think. Ruztan is an old Ral Partha miniature there are a lot of nice miniatures hidden around the Ral Partha Europe website if you dig around a bit.

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 05:55:10 PM »
Nice painting all round, but that wizard really is something special.  Certainly looks good even if it didn't go to plan.

Painting plans never survive first contact with the figure.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 06:50:38 PM »
BEAUTIFULLY DONE! Keep up the WONDROUS WORK.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Hamilkar

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 07:48:02 PM »
Nicely done.  Love the concept of the wizard on that pillar.  Hope he is wearing nomex under garments.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 06:34:36 AM »
Thanks for the nice comments guys

Next up we have another (and at the moment last) character for the army Jorn Baron of Nordburg. Jorn is a hard bitten warrior whose barony takes the brunt of the raids and attacks mounted by the northern barbarians, orcs and worse on the grand duchy. I’ve mounted him on his base with one of his loyal Nordburg militia pointing out the direction of the enemy.

Jorn is a another Fireforge knight this time with no conversions. The militia man is a Frostgrave soldier converted to hold a standard and with a head from the Conquest games Norman infantry set. Both are painted in the Nordburg red and white livery. One slight issue is that in my haste to finish this one off I stuck the flag on upside down it should be red at the top …ho hum

Offline Caldor

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 07:02:10 AM »
Looks great! Especially the banner weathering!

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 09:08:53 PM »
Looks great! Especially the banner weathering!

thanks it was more luck than judgement. I thought the  banner looked to clean when I first stuck it on so I cut the edges up with some scissors and then just used a flat drybrush with a little black paint on to drybrush the edges and folds it worked out quite well in the end.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 09:12:55 PM »
First unit for the new army are the Nordburg militia. These aren’t professional soldiers but the local towns folk called up to defend their homeland every man provides their own equipment which gives them a ragtag and rather dated look. Training is pretty basic meaning they can’t do much beyond form a shieldwall mob and hold ground but when defending their homes and families they can be tenacious fighters. It is normal for one of the baron’s knights to officer the militia in battle.

The majority of this unit is built from Northstar’s Frostgrave soldiers which I thought were perfect for a winter themed army. There are a few spare Wargames factory Vikings and even a spare red box figure in the mix while the officer is a Fireforge Teutonic knight. There are also allsorts of spares from my bits box for heads, weapons and shields.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 06:50:01 PM by Diablo Jon »