Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:52:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Diablo Jon does Generic Fantasy - A Collection of Dungeon Crawl Miniatures  (Read 7784 times)

Offline Schrumpfkopf

• Mad Scientist
    • Westfalia Miniatures
Re: Diablo Jon does Generic Fantasy - first up a human army
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2018, 10:01:38 PM »
Nice mix of minis and makes - it all comes well together with the 2 colour scheme. Excellent unit. What games are you planning for?
westfaliaminiatures.com - proper stuff in 28mm

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2018, 06:32:17 AM »
Nice mix of minis and makes - it all comes well together with the 2 colour scheme. Excellent unit. What games are you planning for?

Thanks

I'm planning to use the "Legions of Battle" rules by Crusader publishing  https://crusaderpublishing.com/legions-of-battle-fantasy-rules/ not a particularly popular rule set that play a lot like older versions or WFB.  They are a very generic (and have a nice list of unit traits) giving me pretty much free reign to create what ever units I want. Units are made up of 4-6 stands rather than individual basing which I quite like. I plan to use left over miniatures from the various armies to make SoBH wrbands for skirmish gaming in the future.

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2018, 07:18:06 AM »
I have wondered about Legions of Battle.  I think March Attack, also by Crusader Publishing is a great set of rules.  I also read the old play-through example of the Crusader Rules for ancient warfare which seemed old fashioned but a solid set of rules (https://crusaderpublishing.files.wordpress.com/2018/01/crusaderexampleofplay.pdf)
I imagiune the fantasy rules should be good.

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2018, 02:21:02 PM »
These look great! I especially love the Nordburg guys. Very thematic and beautiful painting.

As for rules, TooFatLardies are seemingly working on a Tolkien-esque fantasy game, so that that may be worth checking out when they publish it.

Offline Inhaber Jerry

• Assistant
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2018, 03:28:31 PM »
This is wonderful and thank you for sharing. If I had more time I'd embark on my own adventure to Generica. Please keep the paint blog a rolling. A great little gem.
Ramblings, tips and tricks on painting small scale figures: https://expressminiatures.wordpress.com/

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2018, 09:06:02 PM »
Thanks guys glad you like them.

Next unit up for the army of the grand duchy are the Nordburg heavy cavalry. Made up of Noble knights with feudal obligations and men-at-arms who are non noble paid soldiers. The heavy cavalry are the grand duchy’s elite soldiers and the battle winners. Like the militia the heavy cavalry provide their own equipment so can vary in appearance they also tend to create their own livery using the colours of their barony.

These guys are a mixture of Fireforge and Conquest games knights which I think fit pretty well together. The parts from both sets are pretty interchangeable even the heads use the same fixing method which gives more options for modelling.

There are more close ups of the knights, for those interested, on my blog here

https://jonsotherwargamesblog.wordpress.com/2018/03/06/nordburg-knights/

Here's a shot of the whole Nordburg contingent of the army

Offline Schrumpfkopf

• Mad Scientist
    • Westfalia Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2018, 01:08:42 AM »
You are really quick aren't you? Great units, keep them coming!

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2018, 06:30:57 AM »
You are really quick aren't you? Great units, keep them coming!

So my wife tells me...mmm I mean I had a backlog of stuff I had painted up but only photographed recently to post up. Things will slow down a bit now. I have one unit half painted and two more built but not even undercoated and two more units that haven't even left the sprue yet so more to come but not as the same rate.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2018, 07:04:51 AM »
Very nice painting style and nice figure builds!
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2018, 08:44:04 PM »
I should have been painting up more infantry for my Grand Duchy army but I got side tracked thinking about the opposition army I will build next to face them. I end up writing a background piece for Isolda the Winter Wytch which is here for those interested

https://jonsotherwargamesblog.wordpress.com/2018/03/10/isolda-the-winter-wytch/

It got me so enthused I decided to put paint on the miniature I had chosen to represent the Winter Wytch this afternoon.

now I need to get back to painting the Grand Dukes foot guards.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2018, 08:45:45 PM »
Another unit finished this time the Grand Dukes Foot Guards. The Grand Duke maintains a standing force of 500 footmen half of whom are crossbowmen. The foot guards are responsible for guarding the Grand Duke’s palace and his family during peace time and providing the backbone of the Duchy’s infantry in war time.

These miniatures are basically a box of Fireforge Teutonic infantry straight out of the box with one or two head swaps from the Fireforge Templar set for variety.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2018, 08:08:08 PM »
Having decided to go down the route of two winter based armies I realised I don’t really have any winter terrain. I have two dozen winter trees, the sort that go in model Christmas villages, I picked up in the local garden centre in after Christmas sale and a white cloth other than that nothing. So looking around my box of terrain modelling stuff I found this resin building I had bought for a long defunct Mordhiem project. I had already attempted to ruin it for Mordhiem so I decided to paint it up and winterize it for my new project.

Coaching Inns are common on the roads that cross the Grand Duchy but this has sadly been sacked by barbarian raiders working for the Winter Wytch.

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2018, 10:52:28 AM »
That's some great terrain there. Love the two contrasting forces as well. Some battle shots are required soon, I think ;)
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline wolfkarl

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2018, 04:52:17 PM »
You're project is very nice. I really like the Winter Wytch, is this a conversion?

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2018, 08:29:34 PM »
That's some great terrain there. Love the two contrasting forces as well. Some battle shots are required soon, I think ;)

Thanks. Need to paint up some of the Winter Wytch's army first, before I can get some battle shots, at the moment she is in a rather exclusive army of one..

You're project is very nice. I really like the Winter Wytch, is this a conversion?

No not a conversion she is from Mierce Miniatures Darklands range and is called Skaadi, Moraine Sorcerer. Mierce have some lovely miniatures but they have some hefty prices to go with them. Normally I wouldn't spend as much as I did on one (slightly larger than man sized) miniature but she just fitted what I wanted so perfectly I bit the bullet and shelled out for her.

Here's the link to Mierce Miniatures http://mierce-miniatures.com/index.php?act=pro&pre=mrm_dkl_fmr_blr_wcf_961_000