Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:19:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686567
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Diablo Jon does Generic Fantasy - A Collection of Dungeon Crawl Miniatures  (Read 7776 times)

Offline Schrumpfkopf

• Mad Scientist
    • Westfalia Miniatures
Re: Diablo Jon does Generic Fantasy - first up a human army
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2018, 09:18:37 PM »
Very nice building - I like how quick everything comes together here.
westfaliaminiatures.com - proper stuff in 28mm

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2018, 09:26:49 PM »
Thanks. Need to paint up some of the Winter Wytch's army first, before I can get some battle shots, at the moment she is in a rather exclusive army of one..

Ah. I understood the two human forces were arrayed against one another, my bad. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the Wytch's men. For some reason I instantly thought of the Black Company series when I read about mercenaries in her employ...

Also, I like the Moraine witch model too, for some reason though the gratuitous booty does make me laugh. I don't know if I expected butt icicles or what  ??? However, you sold me on the model - I think I might have to grab one at some point!
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline wolfkarl

• Scientist
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2018, 09:39:04 PM »
No not a conversion she is from Mierce Miniatures Darklands range and is called Skaadi, Moraine Sorcerer. Mierce have some lovely miniatures but they have some hefty prices to go with them. Normally I wouldn't spend as much as I did on one (slightly larger than man sized) miniature but she just fitted what I wanted so perfectly I bit the bullet and shelled out for her.

Here's the link to Mierce Miniatures http://mierce-miniatures.com/index.php?act=pro&pre=mrm_dkl_fmr_blr_wcf_961_000
[/quote]
Thank you, like you said pricey. She's $27 to the US. Yikes! :o

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2018, 08:23:24 AM »
Ah. I understood the two human forces were arrayed against one another, my bad. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the Wytch's men. For some reason I instantly thought of the Black Company series when I read about mercenaries in her employ...

Also, I like the Moraine witch model too, for some reason though the gratuitous booty does make me laugh. I don't know if I expected butt icicles or what  ??? However, you sold me on the model - I think I might have to grab one at some point!

Ah I see. No all the humans are the same army they are just different contingents each wearing the colours of their lord the purple/blue are the Grand Dukes personal soldiers the red and white one of his barons I have one more contingent to go I'm thinking of green and yellow livery though yellow is never easy to paint well.

The Wytch's army is more barabaric and fantasical trolls, giants and barbarians probably the plastic frostgrave ones.

Yeah the Moraine witch is a nice model I suppose you could give her a grenn stuff icile skirt if you don't like the Beyoncé look.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2018, 08:24:30 AM »
No not a conversion she is from Mierce Miniatures Darklands range and is called Skaadi, Moraine Sorcerer. Mierce have some lovely miniatures but they have some hefty prices to go with them. Normally I wouldn't spend as much as I did on one (slightly larger than man sized) miniature but she just fitted what I wanted so perfectly I bit the bullet and shelled out for her.

Here's the link to Mierce Miniatures http://mierce-miniatures.com/index.php?act=pro&pre=mrm_dkl_fmr_blr_wcf_961_000

Thank you, like you said pricey. She's $27 to the US. Yikes! :o

yeah you have to really like her to buy her  :)

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2018, 09:49:28 PM »
Another unit finished for the army this is The Ducal Guard. This one hundred strong heavy cavalry force are made up members of the Grand Duke’s extended family, sons of court nobles and second sons of the various country nobles as such they are the premier unit in the whole grand duchy. Every member of the guard receives a black cloak hence their alternative name, among the general populace, of Black Cloaks. Those members of the guard who distinguish themselves in combat are gifted a black wolf pelt to add to their cloak.

These guys are all Fireforge Teutonic Knights with no conversions apart from cutting down the overly long lances to a more manageable size.

and a quick shot of the grand Duke and all his guards

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2018, 07:23:20 PM »
I’ve added another unit to my ever expanding army. This time we have some Freemen who live on the ducal lands  following the old ways practised by their Black Wolf tribe ancestors as hunters, woodsmen and fishermen. When war comes to the Grand Duchy these men will muster and join the army of the Grand Duchy as scouts, skirmishers and raiders.

This unit is mostly made up of Frostgrave soldiers with a few spare Wargames Factory Viking arms and heads, an old GW Mordhiem miniature and a Warlord games Celtic dog handler.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2018, 05:56:19 PM »
The penultimate unit (for now) for my Grand Duchy of the Black Wolf army the knights of Wolfsburg in their natty green and yellow livery. These are a mix of Conquest Games and Fireforge Games plastic knights. I thought I’d play around with photo taking for these guys staging the scene better and tried some filters in my editor to make them look more wintery.

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
Re: Diablo Jon does Generic Fantasy - More knights
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2018, 11:05:12 PM »
Somebody say knights?  ;D

Great pics and the editing really came out well. Although time-intensive, you should consider applying similar effort to an AAR at some point. Are there Conquest knights in there too or just Fireforge models?

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2018, 05:48:38 PM »
Somebody say knights?  ;D

Great pics and the editing really came out well. Although time-intensive, you should consider applying similar effort to an AAR at some point. Are there Conquest knights in there too or just Fireforge models?

Thanks.

The knights are from both makers the heads, arms and shields are very interchangeable between the two makes. Unfortunately you can't really swap bodies and horses as Conquest knights have the saddles moulded to the bodies and the Fireforge horses have the saddles moulded on. So a Fireforge Knight on a Conquest horse has no saddle while a Conquest knight on a Fireforge horse would have two saddles  :?.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2021, 06:20:53 AM »
Ok a little bit of threadomancy. I've started a project to renovate my wargames room later in the summer (see here https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=131769.0 ) one of my goals before then is to clear my painting shelf of shame. To that end I have a few fantasy miniatures to get finished and so have dug up this old thread to post pictures.

Operation ” Finish up” has started by finishing off these Four snow trolls from the painting shelf of shame. I went for an early easy win with these guys as they where 90% finished and only really needed a few small details painted, basing and sealing to be done. They are Ral-parth trolls, sculpted by Bob Olley, and where meant to be part of my Winter Wytch army judging by this thread that means I started then in the middle 0f 2018  lol

While I was at it I also took a couple photos of some other miniatures, I’d already painted for the same army, that I found languishing in a box during the re-organization of my wargames room. So we have two Frost giants converted from kids toy Vikings and a barbarian general command base. All these miniatures have now been magnetised and sent to live in a box with My Grand Duchy of the Black wolf Army.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Diablo Jon does Generic Fantasy - Snow trolls
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2021, 11:53:39 AM »
Lots to love in this thread, great work mate!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2021, 06:45:51 AM »
Lots to love in this thread, great work mate!

Cheers mate.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2021, 05:18:12 AM »
Here are another batch of miniatures from the painting shelf of shame that have now been finished. Fantasy games have always run side by side with historical gaming, for me, not long after I discovered historical wargaming in the early 80s I discovered Dungeons and Dragons and then Warhammer. These miniatures were going to be the start of a solo dungeon crawl project to try recreate a bit of that old D&D feeling. I was planning to utilise the very basic rules of the old fighting fantasy books and card decks to make the dungeon random. I collected a few miniatures and built a few prototype floor plans from foamcore and then…. got distracted.

Anyway a few of these miniatures where already finished, a number just needed basing and the Gnolls where only half painted. The basing on these miniatures was a bit more involved than my normal basing involving a layer of wood filler, green stuff pavers on top of the filler and then a layer of sand acrylic medium painted grey and then dry brushed with cream.

Anyway here are some pictures. All the miniatures are from Alternative Armies apart from the Hill Giant who is a OOP Wizards of the Coast miniature and the hero Cleric who is an original Ral Partha miniature from 1979 who quite frankly shows just what an amazing sculptor Tom Meier is in my humble opinion.

Group Shot

Lizardmen

Skeletons

Gnolls

Berserker

Evil Knight

Hill Giant

Troll

Heroes Barbarian, Wizard and Cleric

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
The Evil Knight and that Barbarian from Alternative Armies will definitely have a spot on my shopping list.