Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:16:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690823
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Thoughts on Gangs of Rome?  (Read 915 times)

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
Thoughts on Gangs of Rome?
« on: March 03, 2018, 01:49:08 AM »
What are your thoughts on Gangs of Rome? I have the rules and little else.   I like the rules for the most part. A few points Im not all together happy with . Ive only read through the rules a time or two, so i might be missing some things.
Im not crazy about "origins", so I'll probably ignore that.  Gang members from different origins block LOS and obstruct movement because of old rivalries.
I think they need more scenarios. I think there are only 3 in the book.
The "collectibility" of the equipment cards is a negative for me. Id rather have had one larger "equipment deck" for sale separately.

I cant help it, but when I think Rome, I think either Roman Legions and large battles or Gladiators.   I can see how this might be adapted for Gladiator games.  Certain stat cards and equipment Denarii, to represent the certain types of Gladiators. (Retiarius, Secutor, etc)  The mob can be rampaging arena beasts (lions, bears) or other enemy gladiators fighting it out.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Re: Thoughts on Gangs of Rome?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 05:17:59 AM »
I am still painting my gangs, so no games yet.

Agreed that it needs more scenarios, although that doesn't worry me too much. I like to design my own.

I like the idea of random stats. Combined with elements of equipment in the form of denarii, it gives a lot of potential combinations to chose from. It allows for re-playability, which for me is a plus.

The synergies allowed to fighters that come from the same 'hood look strange, at first glance. However, I have not decided if I like or dislike those rules. Once I have a few games under my belt, then I will be able to have a formed opinion.

It is the same with the mob rules. While I understand the logic -and really like the idea- of blending your fighters into the mobs, I am not, a priori, too fond of the rules for mob reactions. I am having problems to visualize a mob of Roman citizens going back and forth from being panicked, to being consumed by rage, to being relaxed again in the time frame of a typical GoR game. In a game like GoR, where everything hinges on the narrative to be able to visualize the events happening on the tabletop is important  -for me, at least-. Still, as in the previous case, I will wait until I see how the rule actually works in the game.