Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:03:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686476
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Recommendation for Gladiator rules? Help?  (Read 6876 times)

Offline Longshanx

• Lurker
Re: Recommendation for Gladiator rules? Help?
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2018, 07:16:34 PM »
...So if you can point me in the right directions, tell me a bit wabout what the rule set offers and where to get it, Id greatly appreciate it.

Hello, and welcome to the Quest! I am too looking for the ultimate set of rules, however, I have already tried a few: http://skirmishgrail.blogspot.cz/search/label/Gladiators?m=1

Among these was also Familia Gladiatoria (http://skirmishgrail.blogspot.cz/2015/01/how-to-begin-new-year-of-gaming.html?m=1, whose author I am pleased to meet here :)

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2018, 10:48:03 PM »
Thanks! I'll check them out.   Do they come with the shields, spears?  I have almost all of the Crusader Gladiators.  I have to see what else i need.  I dont have any cestus armed Gladiators (and thats on the BSC list). Id also like to get some beasts like bears, lions, etc.
They have all the relevant equipment, and I think they are better proportioned than the big headed Crusader models, nice though they are!

Offline Kugelfang

• Bookworm
    • Petite Guerre
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2018, 04:10:21 PM »
@Longshanks,

Glad to meet you, too. I'm not aware of many people who have tried Familia Gladiatoria (FG?, FamGlad? Man, I regret that naming decision!) I just recently tweaked some of the rules language, modified the record sheets (really a QR, now) and the action cards. I'm always willing to 'support' my rules by answering questions, etc., but at this point nobody's ever contacted me with questions! I can be found here on LAF or more frequently on TWW (as Autodidact-O-Saurus). Admittedly, though, I don't do much promoting of my own rules.

Another comment on your blog caught my attention regarding the playing of the three action cards. Your question was whether the three cards were played in a per-arranged order, or did the player get to decide which card to play as they played the cards. I play using the second option: each time you play a card you decide which card to play. You do not have to decide the order of the three cards before playing the first card. My justification for that is that trained fighters generally have fast reaction times--their lives depend upon it. Each action card could represent 2 to 4 seconds of activity. That is plenty of time to change your mind as to what you are going to do.

Now I could see a house rule mandating that a significantly inferior (or less dexterous) gladiator pre-order the action cards. That would, however, give the more dexterous fighter a significant advantage. It might also be appropriate for animals, andabatea or when implementing solo-play. But, if players enjoy watching their fighters swing and miss repeatedly by having slow reaction times... go for it. There's nothing wrong in sacrificing what I consider a little realism to enhance player fun. Suit yourself.

I've also just completed quite a few 54mm gladiators and some lions and bears. So... you can see where I'm headed.

--jeff

http://www.petiteguerre.blogspot.com

"The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."
    -- 'The Go-Between', Leslie P. Hartley (1895-1972)

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2018, 06:57:05 PM »
@Kugelfang- Id like to see what 54mm you have.  What brands you use? And bears & lions!   Sounds neat.  Thanks!

Offline Kugelfang

• Bookworm
    • Petite Guerre
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2018, 07:38:33 PM »
Some older pictures of my 54mm gladiators can be seen at my blog at: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/search/label/gladiators . The manufacturers I've got are Pegasus, Italieri and Black Cat. I've also got a couple of old, old, old Imrie-Risley but they are SO much larger than the others that I've not painted them. I like the Pegasus ones the best. Only about 50% of the poses are really useful for gaming but they are the most historically accurate--and well sculpted. The Black Cat are metal and relatively accurate, but I don't much care for the proportions of the sculpting. They're also a bit smaller at about 48mm or so. The Italieri are generally less historically accurate but the poses are dynamic. With some head substitutions and some green stuff work they would be really nice. Not that I'm that ambitious.

I've got some more recent pictures over at that other forum I mentioned above. (I have to admit I'm not sure what the LAF policy is regarding posting links to or discussing other forums so I'll leave it to you to follow the breadcrumbs.)

Offline Joe at The A/C

• Assistant
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2018, 01:52:22 PM »
I have a gladiator rule set releasing on August 6th called "Sons of Mars" if any of you are interested.  I've attached some links below that lead to a free demo game so you can try out the rules and a page by page preview of the book so you can see what it has to offer.  Take a look and feel free to ask any questions :)

Free Demo:
https://theacceptablecasualties.com/downloads

"Sons of Mars" Page by Page Preview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmzYy5Fanko&list=PLsvLMN6Cl1a8_JftjjrDSMLJ6mn1ZTXME&index=2&t=1168s

Offline agentbalzac

• Librarian
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2018, 05:17:28 AM »
I can recommend Blood, Sweat & Cheers.

It's quick enough to learn and play, and straightforward enough for some quick battles.  There's a variety of moves for each of the gladiator types.

In one 90 minute session of about 6-7 fights, my 11 y.o. flogged me enough to take his fighter to Rudus status.   ::)

I'm planning on running a Gladiator tournament evening at my club with it one of these days - just need another deck or two of the cards.