Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:04:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690535
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Think About Online Wargaming Forums  (Read 853 times)

Offline minbiz

• Student
Think About Online Wargaming Forums
« on: March 04, 2018, 02:29:53 PM »
Hi Gang,

Recently, there was a LAF thread concerning an individual being banned from the forum. I know nothing about the matter so can't/won't comment. The thread did touch on something each of us may want to keep in mind. All online forums, even our favorites, are run by someone or someones, who control the narrative. In almost all instances related to our hobby and the hobby industry this is simply not worth a second thought.

Yes, a magazine with an online version may give preference to other products owned by the publisher or close associates. Yes, there are trolls who seek to exploit the open nature of online communication or are just plain annoying. Yes, there are threads which seem to provide endless negative exhanges about nothing of real interest or value. Ultimately, these are minor considerations and, yes, moderator or editor attempts to restrict speech are well within the right of a privately owned and operated entity. However, when any online site attempts to consistently control narratives and notably affect views or commerce, to the detriment of the majority of unassuming viewers, we should take notice and perhaps attempt to make our hobby community aware of the situation.

Conversely, we should celebrate those forums which are generally open, friendly and really do benefit the majority; especially when they have larger volumes of traffic. I suggest LAF falls into the later catagory and think the new Wargamer's Forum, stood-up by old participants of The Guild, will be such a forum. I know I miss once-valued forums that have gone the way of the dinosaur... The Society of Gentlemen Gamers comes to mind.

With regards to one prominent miniatures hobby page controlled by its founder/editor for almost 25 years, it certainly falls into the catagory of "controlled to the detriment" and to my mind its truly unfortunate this forum has such a strong toehold within the hobby and hobby industry. (Of course, I am also someone who finds it increasingly difficult to listen to any nightly news broadcast because news has been overwhelmed by partisan opinion.)

Well, time to get back to less serious and more enjoyable gaming-related endeavors.

MinBiz

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Think About Online Wargaming Forums
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 02:54:52 PM »
There will always be a small amount of commercial content where small business owners and professional painters show off there wares.
I see absolutely nothing wrong if say Simon Chick, who now owns Steel Fist Miniatures, post pictures of the first painted versions of his new range of Landsknechts.
The moderation here is very low key and very good. We should be very happy that this is a peaceful place dedicated to the hobby.

The other forum is no longer as important as it once was so it does not really matter how it is managed. Nick has requested that we do not criticise it by name here.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 02:59:37 PM by Mick_in_Switzerland »

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 06:00:13 PM »
Companies announcing their new line of figures and showing examples of them is what I want to see
on a good wargaming site.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 06:08:25 PM »
Sadly situations arise where the tail wags the dog and I think that is what happened in the case of that forum, which as it is run as an income generator by its owner, has to side with its 'sponsors'.

I was always taught not to discuss politics, religion, or other men's wives/daughters in conversation. It's always stood me in good stead through life and doesn't seem a bad basis for a core set of values for any online forum.

;)

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 06:53:52 AM »
I'm just looking over at the 'recent' posts column in the left margin and see that virtually everything there is about painting, modelling and wargaming - that's good to see.