Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:21:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689712
  • Total Topics: 118289
  • Online Today: 768
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ongoing projects  (Read 1431 times)

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Ongoing projects
« on: March 06, 2018, 05:48:08 AM »
So, yesterday I decided to make a list of my ongoing -and unfinished!- projects, and in which phase they are. It has been a sobering experience. It has shown me that I have impulse control issues, when miniatures are involved. Anyway, here it is:

* Vikings, for Saga: almost finished. Warlord, 2 points of Hirdmen and 3 points of Warriors already painted. I need to paint 1 point more, possibly of Levies for some shooting support. I need to finish the re-basing process, though, from square to round bases (half way through)

*Anglo-Saxons/Danes, for Saga: technically is almost finished, but I need to tweak the composition of the army. As it is now, it is too heavy on Hearthguards. I need to balance it with a couple of Warrior units. One of them is almost finished (2 miniatures left to be painted).

* Late Romans, for Saga (as in A&A Saga supplement, not AoV supplement): This is also almost finished, with four warrior units and 2 hearthguard units already painted. It only lacks the Warlord and his draconarius, to be considered done.

* Goths/Saxons/Generic Barbarians (again, A&A): I haven't started it yet. I can use a generic Dark Age archers unit that I painted (plastic GB DA archers) as Levies, but that's it. The rest I haven't even begun.

* Gangs of Rome. Bands already done (yey!) but Mobs and buildings are still sitting unpainted, in the box.

* Sucessors for To the Strongest. Only 2 taxeis painted. 7 more to go. Plus horse, skirmishers, elephants... :(

If only those would be the projects in my painting table, I would be satisfied, but alas! they are not. I am also painting -and fantasizing about gaming with them sometime before my demise-:

* Two Pikemen's Lament forces (just three units finished, the rest not even started)
* Imperial Romans, for my own adaptation of Pikeman's Lament/Saga, to the Roman Empire (provisionally, Roma Victrix... don't know when I will actually do some proper work and playtesting... real life keeps interfering with my hobbies!)
* Indian Mutiny forces, for Sharp Practice (only a small skirmish unit of Neill's Bluecaps finished, the rest still waiting their turn)
* French-Indian War forces, for Sharp Practice (two units of Natives and 1 of Virginia Regiment finished, although still without bases; the rest I haven't started yet)
* Napoleonics (Peninsula and 1813 Wars of Liberation) for SP (2 Spanish units and 1 Polish finished. The rest waiting their turn)
* Dutch War Project, for Donnybrok: 1 French unit of Musketeers and 1 Spanish unit of Dragoons finished. The rest also waiting their turn.
* ACW, for Sharp Practice- 1 unit of Confederates finished. And that's it. 

Then I have my old Seven Years War project. Austrians are done (12 batallions, 4 horse regiments and 2 batteries), but I haven't started with the Prussians, and therefore I have none to pit against my Austrians.

Finally, there is another project that has been put on hold for too long: Crusades, in 15mm. I have 18 Mamluk bases painted, plus infantry support -small but viable Muslim army-. However, I have only painted 8 bases of Christian knights and not a single one of infantry.

Those are the projects that I have some hope of finishing some day. There are others, more than I care to count, that are simply a weight of metal ocuppying space in my home.

I wonder if other LAFers are equally undisciplined; or are you guys more focused than I am? Because, you know, each time I see a new release that get my fancy, I am tempted to start a new project.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: Ongoing projects
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 01:59:47 AM »
So, yesterday I decided to make a list of my ongoing -and unfinished!- projects....
Oh no !!!! What did you do that for!?!? That way lies madness! :o

lol

Offline Sbloom141

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 02:37:29 AM »
-6mm sisters of battle - onslaught minis, about 10 bases painted, and about 10 Rhinos. Probably 5x that to go.
-Mantic’s Walking Dead, whole Kickstarter plus some single expansions. I’ve only just finished the core set...
-Before TWD official I had a 28mm zombie project going on which has enough for games, but there’s a lot of unpainted lead there.
-Zombicide Black Plague and Green Horde...I’ve painted 4 heroes and nothing else!
-Blood Angels Army, I’ve painted Dante and not much else.
-A SINGLE Deathwatch Space Marine out of maybe 25.
-A Deathguard Army that isn’t viable under modern 40k rules; this was mostly complete but some custom obliterators have been basecoated for about 10 years now and not finished. 1/3 is complete and it drives me nuts.
-6mm WW2 project where I bought good sized heroics and ros forces for the USA, Germany and Finland but have so far painted... 3 Panthers and 3 Stug IIIs!(this one got derailed by the birth of my daughter, pretty sure it would have been an easy one to get finished)

This thread is making me sad now because thers’s SO much more! I’ve not included all the terrain projects unfinished and the projects I’ve bought for but not painted anything  lol

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 05:31:38 AM »
I am not even going there as it is so depressing! :'( lol lol

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 06:12:38 AM »
I have just interrupted a fairly big project with a smaller one that will get some results on the table faster. Which is also what I did last year to the bigger project!

But it is the combination of what to work on next together with what to actually play, to get through that play list, that becomes overwhelming, for me at least. I have found it almost therapeutic to just junk some stuff!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 06:17:04 AM by Normsmith »

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 09:19:16 AM »
I have that to. But I would never make a list!

While I do technically enjoy finishing projects. I also very much like to go where my fancy takes me. These days I rarely get time to actually do any gaming. I mostly just collect assemble and paint. So I might as well do what I feel like. One day I paint ancient Mycheneans next day modern spec. ops. I find I get more done when I go where my butterfly like attention takes me. When painting becomes a chore I grind to a halt and just end up watching netflix instead.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 11:52:32 AM »

While I do technically enjoy finishing projects. I also very much like to go where my fancy takes me. These days I rarely get time to actually do any gaming. I mostly just collect assemble and paint. So I might as well do what I feel like. One day I paint ancient Mycheneans next day modern spec. ops. I find I get more done when I go where my butterfly like attention takes me. When painting becomes a chore I grind to a halt and just end up watching netflix instead.

Actually, I do the same and it works. At least for me. This wargaming year -ie. from Salute to Salute- I've managed to paint 118 28mm figures, which, for me, is an outstanding production rate. And there are left four weeks until Salute, which means that the count will grow. However, not for just one army, but for anything that got my fancy.

Offline fusilierdan

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 11:58:20 PM »
I started to inventory the figures I have. There are twenty pages in excel one for each project. Although several have enough for a game most aren't complete. Even the one project where I had a clear limit on what was needed and I reached that limit has four more units waiting to be painted.

There's just way too many nice figures available now not to buy them and more keep coming out.

Online Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 10:47:02 AM »
I know exactly how you feel, currently I have on the painting desk/drawer/shelve:

- Warlord games Prussians/95th rifles, after putting together/moldline scraping the first batch of Prussians I have swiftly lost heart, also the casting quality of the rifles is poor enough that prep-work will be needed...which puts me off even more.

- An equally stalled white men expedition for congo.

- A congregation posse for Dracula's America...which is actually nearing completion.

- The beginnings of  a frostgrave: ghost archipelago crew.

...And of course I have my eye on several new projects, wanting to do an inq28 force, redo my old mordheim dwarf warband and possibly a bounty hunter force for necromunda...im a terrible fickle person lol.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 02:41:23 PM »
I'm pretty okay at the moment...compared to most, I guess.  lol

1) Old West: 95% done, this year should be spent finally doing 10-15 mounted figures, maybe add a bit more terrain to replace some stuff I sold off lately.

2) Dungeon Crawl: 80% done.  Need to replace some basic minions I've sold off (didn't like them), but the dungeon is done, the minis are close...just no rules to play.

3) Warhammer 40K: 90% done.  Chaos Space Marine army is more or less done, a few more investments in terrain and my table will be done.  Eldar are 'done' but are an eternal project as time/figures avail themselves.

4) Mordheim: 85% done. Table is more or less complete, but I don't have miniatures for many of the warbands I might consider running...these kinda tie in with the Dungeon Crawl project though.

So my main concern is "do I start a new project".  There are several tempting carrots dangling on strings, but my budget doesn't really allow a new launch.  Will probably concentrate on simply plowing on with the few big projects I have.  I'm in a good spot at the moment.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 03:24:42 PM »

Exactly this...

But apparently I must have a masochistic streak equalling that of a son of Dorn, because I decided to list all my projects, be they going strong, floundering or stalled completely.

Seeing this, is... sobering. There was a time when that would have gotten to me, but I've long accepted the fact that there will always be more plans than sense (And time. And budget ::) ), and I'm not worried about it anymore.

I'm still very much of mind to eventually finish all of them, even though I still must see what an actually finished project looks like lol

So, here we go...

WH40K
-Imperial Fists
-Dark Angels
-Fiery Lions
-Imperial Guard
-Necrons
-Sisters of Battle

WHFB
-Warriors of Chaos
-Chaos Dwarfs
-High Elfs

Necromunda
-Esher
-Cawdor
-Redemptionists
-Orlock
-Arbites
-Spyrers
-All Weirds, scum and character minis

Gorkamorka

Epic
-Space Marines
-Eldar
-Orks
-Titans

Battlefleet Gothic
-Imperial
-Chaos

Bloodbowl
-Humans
-Orks
-Chaos Dwarfs

Space Crusade
-All factions, plus 3 more Space Marine chapters

Hero Quest
-Replace all plastic minis with metal ones

Space Hulk 1, 2 and 3

ManoWar and Dreadfleet

Warmachine
-Khador
-Cygnar
-Cryx

Infinity
-Haqqislam
-PanOc
-Aleph

Dropzone Commander
-Scourge
-UCM
-Resistance

Dropfleet

15mm Battlemech

15mm WW2 Dutch

28mm WW2 Dutch

28mm Germans

Generic Scifi minis for RPG purposes

Generic Fantasy minis for RPG purposes

Saga
-Anglo Saxons
-Vikings

Bushido
-Ninja's

LotR project (non GW)
-9 walkers
-Horde of orks

And I'm sure I have forgotten a lot more. I know I have a shedload of modern zombies for example...

So there it is; the list of shame, I'm not actually ashamed about :D
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2018, 04:22:49 PM »
Ahem ...

28mm Airborne Platoon - probably about done, but I keep wanting to add bits on.

28mm Chindits Column - barely started, WIP, with loads of jungle terrain I'll never use

28mm Gael-Norse raiders - actually pretty well advanced, probably over halfway

28mm 2nd/3rd Crusade Hospitallers - two painted ... two ...

28mm Wars of the Roses - none painted, about ten figures collected

Nostalgia Citadel projects - various, mostly just bare metal in a drawer

1:72 plastic Zulu War British - maybe twenty guys painted?

1:72 plastic US Cavalry Indian Wars - one painted

1:72 plastic Napoleonic British Division - barely begun, after 20-odd years

1:72 plastic WW2 British North Africa - same as above, including various kits in boxes

1:72 plastic Romans & Britons - just tubs and tubs of plastic, same as above

Abandoned projects include -

28mm ECW Covenanters
28mm ACW Confederates
28mm Napoleonic British
28mm WW1 British in Mesopotamia
28mm Ancient Nubians
28mm Spartans

It's quite pathetic when i see it all written down really.

'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2018, 05:10:19 PM »
Well I might as well confess.
Way too many projects going on.
My problem is I can usually stay on something for about a month to two months.
Then I want to move on.
If I am really good, I have painted figures to play a one vs one game.
Sometimes even two vs two.
Then it may be years before I return to paint more.
So is a project even really complete?
I refuse to answer that one. ;)
Semper Fi, Mac

Online Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2018, 06:12:22 PM »
Donvoss has the right idea, tiny self-contained skirmish forces.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2018, 06:59:32 PM »
Yep.

My ongoing projects are:

- A handful of Gloomhaven minis for a friend.
- Some more pulp skirmish minis. Most notably I need to get around to finishing my Nazi villain force.
- Kind of in the background. I'd eventually like to get back to replacing more of the crap sculpts among my Mage Knight figures with nice figures.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.