Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:36:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689217
  • Total Topics: 118264
  • Online Today: 500
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: AWI 40mm gaming anyone ? Updated  (Read 28320 times)

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
Re: AWI 40mm gaming anyone ? Updated
« Reply #165 on: May 10, 2020, 09:59:11 PM »
@Lysandros

So you have no problem with a unit with identical marching poses, or indeed, standing poses?

The Guards brigade fifer involved cutting the head off or is his head separate?

I looked at the S&S AWI Scots in trews and they really dont seem so bad.

For trident British infantry in cut down coats but using highlander bonnet heads, why does one have to use the marching pose? The Firing line or loading poses seem very nice

Maybe the crann  Tara man can cast his 40mm AWI Highlanders in Front Rank proportions?

https://cranntaraminiatures.co.uk/product/highlanders-marching/

It seems to be on his mind

https://smalworldwar.blogspot.com/2019/05/what-is-correct-criteria-for-scale-or.html
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 03:44:24 AM by MiniPigs »

Offline ian220756

• Librarian
« Reply #166 on: May 11, 2020, 07:09:15 AM »
Hi
I’m afraid the Crann Tara figures are not part of the digital range - they are a traditional sculpt in green stuff on 28mm scale - so non starter I’m afraid
Ian

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #167 on: May 12, 2020, 06:14:33 AM »
I, for one, would love to see a listing of all the figures you have for all sides of the conflict you've included: name of unit, number of figures, foot or mounted or guns.  Also, what do you have in the way of civilians and animals for 'decorating' your games (or for in game objectives even)?  If you don't have a careful inventory to share, here is your chance to develop one.  (Sorry if you've already mentioned this but I haven't the time to go through the whole thread tonight.)

The odds and sods might not be your best work but if running the unit in a game, I'd be more worried about their performance on the field of battle than if they are 'top notch'.  At current prices it appears one unit discarded, unpainted, is $50 bucks - add in the painting, basing time and...!
Most of my Colonial battalions are generic . Red , white , buff facings on blue or brown coats and hunting shirts , with tricorns , light infantry caps, lot 1 in round hats . About 10 units.
2 perfect smart battalions for late war fighting if the war went on another year ( can be used for anytime)
Maryland and Delaware battalions .
14 continental line which can be used in all theatre's.
5 militia battalions.
1 continental dragons
2 rifle , 2 militia , 1 line , skirmishing units.

British 3 charging , 3 marching , 1 bearskin fusiliers, , 2 Highlanders , 2 Grenadiers , 2 light infantry.
2 marching Saratoga battalions.
( 33rd and Welch fusiliers will be painted next for very late war )
15 line battalions .
Butler rangers , light infantry, 2 Indians, loyalists skirmishers.
2 light dragoons
2 Guards battalions

Hessian Grenadier X 3, line X 3 , jagers.

French line X3 , 2 foreign line , French Caribbean , light infantry combined, l Grenadier , battalions.

I have lots of fluff , civilians , carts.animals etc

« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 06:22:53 AM by Lysandros »

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #168 on: May 12, 2020, 06:21:47 AM »
@Lysandros

So you have no problem with a unit with identical marching poses, or indeed, standing poses?

The Guards brigade fifer involved cutting the head off or is his head separate?

I looked at the S&S AWI Scots in trews and they really dont seem so bad.

For trident British infantry in cut down coats but using highlander bonnet heads, why does one have to use the marching pose? The Firing line or loading poses seem very nice

Maybe the crann  Tara man can cast his 40mm AWI Highlanders in Front Rank proportions?

https://cranntaraminiatures.co.uk/product/highlanders-marching/

It seems to be on his mind

https://smalworldwar.blogspot.com/2019/05/what-is-correct-criteria-for-scale-or.html
I prefer the unit to look neat order, cohesive in what they're doing. Using American line for late war British with cut down coats you have limited choice with Front Rank. Head swaps give enough variety. I always wanted my British units to have the same trousers length. The fifer  just has a plug head on.
I have the sash and sabre Highlanders marching , they are ok that don't quite fit the other figures they will do for the meantime.
Trident can be good but I just prefer the front rank heads.
It's a matter of personal taste.

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #169 on: May 12, 2020, 06:28:36 AM »
Continental artillery

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #170 on: May 12, 2020, 06:51:03 AM »
All the units you presented are museum quality!
But one of your last pictures of the civilians and animals, are all the money!  :-*
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline schoey

• Scientist
« Reply #171 on: May 12, 2020, 08:01:36 AM »
An excellent collection, like the horse and carts.

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #172 on: May 12, 2020, 10:48:29 AM »
I prefer the unit to look neat order, cohesive in what they're doing. Using American line for late war British with cut down coats you have limited choice with Front Rank. Head swaps give enough variety. I always wanted my British units to have the same trousers length. The fifer  just has a plug head on.
I have the sash and sabre Highlanders marching , they are ok that don't quite fit the other figures they will do for the meantime.
Trident can be good but I just prefer the front rank heads.
It's a matter of personal taste.

You wouldn't use the Continental figures in long coats for raggedy campaign British?

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #173 on: May 13, 2020, 02:26:09 AM »
Thanks for the listing, Lysandros.  Impressive, you can run a lot of games.  Really liked seeing the civilians and carts (your Fluff - I like that term.)  No Spanish for Florida and points west?

I've barely begun working on my 15 mm AWI but it is an obscenely sizable collection, all told I believe I am over 5,000 figures counting horses, civilians dismounts, and dead (lots of dead, at least one per fighting unit of infantry, cavalry, or artillery). 

Lots of it is primed and ready for painting but only two cavalry units actually partly painted.  I actually have 20 historically correct cavalry units (correct in that the unit existed but not necessarily in regimental size like mine are). 

All my cavalry are 12 figures, most of my infantry 18 figures, some at 24 figures.  Artillery is one gun and four crewmen (might be Molly Pitcher pitching in somewhere).  Rather a surfeit of leaders, not all being generals, of course.  A bunch of civilians, too.  And farm animals galore.  I am profoundly influenced by a scene from a very old disney (I think) movie: Justin Morgan Had a Horse. 

Oh, and I do have one four regiment brigade of Spanish to paint (already primed) along with Bernardo Galvez to lead them!  I mix them in as part of my Franco-Spanish division (another 13 regiments). 

Your work inspires me to get busy.  Just way too much to get busy on like my colonials and Old West.  Insanity but happy insanity.  lol

Keep on sharing.

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #174 on: May 13, 2020, 04:37:31 AM »
it's too bad that FR dont want to do any more 40mm, they would be the ideal company to sculpt a 40mm Grand Alliance range.

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #175 on: May 13, 2020, 05:34:10 AM »
You wouldn't use the Continental figures in long coats for raggedy campaign British?
I always feel a British campaign look has to be cut down coats.
By 1777 many if not all were doing this . So long coats would be nearer to early war.
These are bloody Tarleton . Not sure about horse sculpts but they look better in real life.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 07:15:04 AM by Lysandros »

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #176 on: May 13, 2020, 07:49:35 AM »
I may say they already look nice and very well painted!

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #177 on: May 13, 2020, 03:13:48 PM »
What is the flag for the Tarleton's Legion?

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #178 on: May 14, 2020, 05:32:02 AM »
Thanks for the listing, Lysandros.  Impressive, you can run a lot of games.  Really liked seeing the civilians and carts (your Fluff - I like that term.)  No Spanish for Florida and points west?

I've barely begun working on my 15 mm AWI but it is an obscenely sizable collection, all told I believe I am over 5,000 figures counting horses, civilians dismounts, and dead (lots of dead, at least one per fighting unit of infantry, cavalry, or artillery). 

Lots of it is primed and ready for painting but only two cavalry units actually partly painted.  I actually have 20 historically correct cavalry units (correct in that the unit existed but not necessarily in regimental size like mine are). 

All my cavalry are 12 figures, most of my infantry 18 figures, some at 24 figures.  Artillery is one gun and four crewmen (might be Molly Pitcher pitching in somewhere).  Rather a surfeit of leaders, not all being generals, of course.  A bunch of civilians, too.  And farm animals galore.  I am profoundly influenced by a scene from a very old disney (I think) movie: Justin Morgan Had a Horse. 

Oh, and I do have one four regiment brigade of Spanish to paint (already primed) along with Bernardo Galvez to lead them!  I mix them in as part of my Franco-Spanish division (another 13 regiments). 

Your work inspires me to get busy.  Just way too much to get busy on like my colonials and Old West.  Insanity but happy insanity.  lol

Keep on sharing.
I feel the Spanish campaign is a lost cause for balance .Any real battles of substance?
I think of isolated British posts/forts maned mainly by loyalist bit and pieces against overwhelming odds .lts impossible in most cases for the Brits to win as it's a sideshow or they don't have the resources to compete.
Granted it's a very colourful campaign , interesting units , maybe at skirmish level,  the early raids by the Tory Florida rangers into Georgia would be exciting.
Also l think there are no Spanish 40mm on the market.
Cheers thanks.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 05:34:56 AM by Lysandros »

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #179 on: May 14, 2020, 05:36:27 AM »
British light dragoons
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 05:42:59 AM by Lysandros »