Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:26:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690584
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Struggle with a Balrog - painting advice needed  (Read 2080 times)

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
Struggle with a Balrog - painting advice needed
« on: March 06, 2018, 10:02:14 PM »
I was hoping to just post the completed figure in my Silmarillion thread, but I just can't get this to look right.
So, I need some advice, please.  As much as I have been aiming for quick paint schemes, this model was something I wanted to take time on.

The skin is still unfinished.  Details like eyes etc still need adding.

So this fits with my idea that Balrogs don't have wings and might not be huge.  The figure is a bugbear from Reaper with his sword removed and a whip replacing that.
The idea was to have the flame hair and everything else dark.  I tried for a "glow" fron the scale armour and the joins in the plate armour; the armour was going to be dark.  The problem was the "glow" doesn't show much and the armour gave no real contrast with the very dark brown skin.
The armour changed to steel but this still looks wrong.
I attempted, and the painted over, reflections of the flame on the armor (just came out as splodges of yellow and orange).  This technique seems beyond my skill levels.

What I would like your opinion on is:
Should I persevere with trying to do reflections on the armour?
Should I revert to dark armour and what is the best way of doing this so it is not just a black mass?
Do I go for a completely different colour for the armour - eg flame red? (anyone who suggests purple will be spanked!)
I have no real experience with green stuff (other than added lumps for my trolls) - should I try to add flames to the whip?

The one thing I am happy with is the flaming hair.  This came out much as I planned.

Thanks , in advance, for any comments/advice.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Struggle with a Balrog - painting advice needed
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 10:52:36 PM »
That's a great conversion - and makes a splendid balrog! Great idea!

It looks pretty good to me. If I were you, I'd neaten it up a bit with a fine brush and some blacklining. I know blacklining is regarded as deeply unfashionable in some quarters, but if you use some slightly thinned black to get into the crevices of the armour, between the fingers and any recesses where the skin meets the teeth and hair, and to delineate the metal and wood on the axe, you'll get a nice bold contrast.

I wouldn't bother with adding flames to the whip. One thing I wonder is whether you should make it predominantly dark (black? brown?) with just a hint of fieriness here and there, so that it doesn't draw attention away from the flaming mane.

I'd do some edge highlights on the leather stuff (pouches and belts) - maybe in a 'flesh' tone? - or drybrush them, then put a brown wash (Agrax or something like that) over it to blend them in.

Anyway, great job - and an inspired idea to use that bugbear! I think the black lining would really help make it 'pop' a bit.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 10:53:13 PM »
Personally, I'd go for a darker armor with the finest silvery edge highlights I could manage, and I'd add some smoke effect to the flames, at least on the hair.  If you look at mine blog here you'll see what I'm talking about on smoke - it's best done with a tiny bit of black and then a soft black/charcoal/super-dark brown highlight on the black.

http://brokenstarsburningships.blogspot.com/2018/02/you-may-experience-burning-sensation.html

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 11:26:34 PM »
Thanks, guys.
By no means near finished, Hobgoblin, so still a lot of detail/highlighting needed, I just didn't want to proceed without knowing what I may do.
I will try the darkening at the ends of the flame hair and may further darken the whip.
I think the darker armour is the way to go, but it can be hard to get this right.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 11:54:12 PM »

I think the darker armour is the way to go, but it can be hard to get this right.

You could maybe try a black wash with a little bit of dark green in it - not much, just enough to heighten the contrast with the flaming mane.

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 06:34:56 AM »
Too knackered to post a photo tonight, but I have done a heavy black wash/glaze, a very light metal dry brush, then a dilute black/green wash.  Looking good so far.  On the skin colour I am uncertain.  At the moment my Balrog looks like he might be from the movie Black Panther!

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 06:36:15 AM »
FIf you want black armour my method is black base and highlight with blue. first highlight is a blue grey (made from mixing blue and black) and then add a thin highlight to the edges in blue.  It still looks black but pops more than using grey highlights.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 06:42:45 AM »
I really like how this looks. Great miniature choice and conversion.
How about something like this for the armour. Reaper Shadow Demon I painted. Much like what Diablo Jon has said. Maybe the fiery bits could be worked up in colour to a deep red to give it a hot look. Or just experiment with other fire bits.

Starting with black working up to blue.
As flames and shadow seem to be contradictory I think you could probably get away with not actually having the flames casting light onto the armour. Makes sense but probably doesn't look right.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 06:44:28 AM by beefcake »

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 07:10:37 AM »
Thanks Jon and Beefcake.
Actually, you probably could build up from black and instead of using blue could use progressive introduction of red,  Vallejo paints make a Black Red which I have used as the deeper red dry brush at the end of the whip and his hair.

I might have to buy another bugbear!

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 07:34:54 AM »
I think you need a brown wash to "unify" the miniature.

How's your OSL? It's not easy, but if there's armor, there's gonna be reflection.
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 08:01:44 AM »
Great idea to use that bugbear!
I've been looking for something smaller and wing-less for a balrog too.

I'd use all dark armour too.
I've been experimenting with using several different dark colours as base colour, and shading them all with the same mix of Vallejo black glaze thinned down with black ink, with a little highlighting after. It gives a unified look but with different shades of black.

Leave the whip as is, but you may consider to have the axe fiery molten metal.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 08:03:59 AM by area23 »
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 08:17:51 AM »
I think you need a brown wash to "unify" the miniature.

How's your OSL? It's not easy, but if there's armor, there's gonna be reflection.

You have got me there.  What is OSL?

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 08:26:33 AM »
Source Lighting I imagine (not sure what the O stands for, Object?)

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 07:24:15 PM »
Now with darker armour (with hint of green), darkened ends to hair (very slight), darkened whip and starting to work on the skin tones.  Possibly the skin is too human looking?

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 09:02:25 PM »
The darker armour certainly works better and makes the hair and whip stand out a lot more.