Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:27:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Struggle with a Balrog - painting advice needed  (Read 2079 times)

Offline Severian

• Scientist
Re: Struggle with a Balrog - painting advice needed
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2018, 09:30:00 PM »
He's coming together very well - the darkened armour works a treat.

Not quite sure what to suggest re the skin tone; it might be that a few highlights and perhaps a wash of some sort would do the trick? If you're concerned about it looking too human then maybe some blue or purple in the mix??

Your choice of figure wasn't at all what I had expected, btw; but it's a great idea! Looking forward to seeing where he ends up.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2018, 09:51:46 PM »
You have got me there.  What is OSL?

Object Source Lighting. Basically, rather than just standard highlighting, you consider where your light source is (and also what colour it is) and then highlight accordingly. So, someone holding a lantern with a yellowy flame will have a strong yellow highlight close to the lantern, fading into a dimmer orangey highlight further away.

In this case, the flaming hair will be throwing out orangey highlights on the shoulders and face and then fading out to reddish tints further out along the arms and down the body. There are some nice OSL tutorials on YouTube.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2018, 10:30:22 PM »
Now with darker armour (with hint of green), darkened ends to hair (very slight), darkened whip and starting to work on the skin tones.  Possibly the skin is too human looking?

The darker armour's looking good!

For the skin, I'd be tempted to go down the route Spooktalker took with his fire giant: jet black skin with no highlights at all. You could then paint the inside of the mouth and the eyes with a white-hot fiery glow, and you'd be guaranteed a good contrast with the mane and with the armour.

That might also help emphasise the Balrog's nature as a spirit rather than an animal: a being of shadow and fire rather than just a big monster.

Anyway, just a thought!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2018, 10:42:42 PM »
Object Source Lighting. Basically, rather than just standard highlighting, you consider where your light source is (and also what colour it is) and then highlight accordingly. So, someone holding a lantern with a yellowy flame will have a strong yellow highlight close to the lantern, fading into a dimmer orangey highlight further away.

Sorry for the slight hijack here, but basically, then, there are 3 main ways to highlight? As in omni-light (normal highlighting, light more or less equally from all directions), mono-light (light from a single direction, like in a painting or photo), and OSL?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2018, 07:13:17 AM »
Hobgoblin, you are right.  In going for the brown skin I was trying to make sure I had something that was distinct from the armour.  In doing so the Balrog was more beast than spirit.  I have gone back to black (now the third lot of skin he has had - black, brown, black again).  To give a lift from the armour (with a hint of green) I have used a hint of red in the black skin.  I will see how this looks in the morning under natural light.
The mouth is now a firey orange blending into yellow, blending into a central white. 
I will need to watch some videos on OSL before I attempt this.  I am getting near the end of my endurance for this figure and risk losing interest soon, so the OSL may or may not happen.

Again, thanks for all the input.  This seems like painting by committee!

Online area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2018, 08:14:07 AM »
I might steal these ideas!  8)
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2018, 08:55:16 AM »
I'm not a fantasy gamer, but I like your ideas. I wouldn't mess with that chap.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2018, 09:03:29 AM »
Sorry for the slight hijack here, but basically, then, there are 3 main ways to highlight?

Pass, it all sounds a bit to technical for me.

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2018, 05:41:31 AM »
Still not finished,, but current state of things

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2018, 06:28:12 AM »
looking good the hair and whip really pop. He certainly looks like a creature of shadow and fire now.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2018, 09:25:38 AM »
Agreed. Very nice colours