Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:13:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690594
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Zombie Nazi Officer  (Read 1537 times)

Offline benwlundy

• Lurker
Zombie Nazi Officer
« on: March 26, 2018, 04:31:03 AM »
I just finished my second miniature ever...Nazi Zombie Officer #1...28mm....added some blood and bile effects...fun piece to do...I included a few natural light photos so as to give a better idea of the colors, but when I don't use the flash the detail isn't as clear...so there's that...I'm really enjoying the learning process of painting minis, and although I'm aware this is far from perfect, it's about 10 times better than I expected my second mini to be, so I'm still very encouraged...this is really really fun! I didn't do anything with the base because he'll be part of a bigger diorama, so this isn't his final resting place...
Thanks
Ben

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: Zombie Nazi Officer
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 08:56:59 AM »
Welcome to our world.

Getting the exposure right on photographs helps. The third one is probably the best.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you progress.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 10:43:10 AM »
Lemme find an image of all the colour variation that German "grey" uniforms went through... ;)

I'd say that I don't bother with photoshop. Just stick the picture in GIMP, go to the colour balance and bring up the white a bit. Put a curved piece of paper behind the model rather than a flat one, and have the light coming at it from above at an angle (preferably two light sources) - not that I bother with any of that myself when taking pictures (takes longer to setup than two bits of card and whatever high power lamp's nearby). :P

Offline benwlundy

• Lurker
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 02:27:20 PM »
Thanks guys! As far as the photography goes, I just have a dinky point and shoot camera that I bought to take pictures of my granddaughter...it does do that well...lol...so I don't see another camera in my immediate future with all the bells and whistles on it...but I'll do my best with what I have! I'll try some of this stuff, though...thanks!
Ben

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 03:52:17 PM »
I have a daylight magnified fluorescent work light and the camera flash. The light is the one I use for modelling.

I normally use two sheets of grey foam for the background and base (perched on a box or two to get a working height - the foam and figure, not me). The only post production I do is to crop the image and then shrink it to my standard of 500 pixels wide.

Offline benwlundy

• Lurker
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 08:06:28 PM »
Thanks...I'll keep trying...hopefully it gets better!

Ben