Forum > VSF Adventures

Basing sky galleon crew figures

(1/6) > >>

Dochejed:
I’m painting some RAFM Space 1889 figures to use as crew on Crossover’s fantastic flyers.  At some point I would also like to use them in some ground combat games.  So here are my options:

1) Do my traditional basing of sand and grass tufts on a metal washer.  It’s easy, and they’d look fine on the battlefield, but they’d be dragging a pile of sand and grass around with them on the flyer.

2) Grind the metal bases off the figures and pin them to some resin wooden planking bases.  They would look great on the flyers but it’s more work and they would be tramping around the battlefield on wooden boards.

Just formulating the question makes me realize I prefer 2, but what do others think?  Or is there an option I haven’t considered?

Citizen Sade:
Clear acrylic bases? They seem de rigeur at the moment and would mean that your figures look ok on both the flyers and the ground.

Dochejed:
Ahh, that’s a good one, hadn’t considered clear acrylic.  Can’t say I ever liked the look but in this case it may be the best look.

mysteriousbill:
What I am concerned with is not the bases, but how to keep the figures from moving when the ship is moved.

Dochejed:
Hmmm, I hadn’t considered slippage either.  I think metal figures on a metal washer wouldn’t slip around that much.  If I used resin bases a circle of felt on the bottom might keep them from slipping.  But I’d worry about clear acrylic bases slipping.  In the end it might depend on how smoothly the flyers move on the table.  They’re on acrylic bases so they may move smoothly but now I’m going to have to test that out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version