Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:17:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689474
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Poll

?

Thirty Years War Gun Crew (Captain Blood)
88 (53.7%)
The Kaiser presents: Sturmgruppe Wotan (Admiral Benbow)
76 (46.3%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Author Topic: ROUND 2 Thirty Years War Gun Crew vs The Kaiser presents: Sturmgruppe Wotan  (Read 7856 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God

Offline Baggins Wood

• Assistant
    • The Deep Blue Sea
I don't believe it...... 
"...That would also be the French"

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
I'm not a big fan of the painting-over-black style, but Captain Blood is undoubtedly a master at it.  These are two excellent entries, and I could almost flip a coin, but I'm going to vote for the new entry over the repeat of an old entry.  I have a feeling, however, that I'll regret these words in Round 3 or 4.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
As will be made clear soon over at Workbench Cptn Blood does, in fact, not paint over a black base coat. There is however a sort of blacklining. He has been kind enough to share his techniques with me and I am compiling an article on it. I am trying it on my NWF project, adding my own little flairs here and there.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
The second entry still is the best entry so far in painting. The colors are still the best and the execution is fantastic. But for me, LPL is about painting hordes of miniatures to lower the pile of unpainted pewter. So that means that a recycled entry scores lower in my book. Unfortunately for the Admiral the Captain's paintjob is very nice too and the composition is fantastic as usual. A real nice "movie still" and great colors. Not an enormous fan of the painting style, but it does work well.
End result...I voted for the captain.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Richard, where's the artillery piece from?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
I think the admiral is being punished by the voters here for not submitting a new entry, which is kind of mean as he is already missing out on the bonus points, so it's a double whammy. But hey, that's democracy for you! And nobody said the LPL was going to be a walk in the park. :)

(I voted for the Captain too though, I must admit. That's a smashing little vignette, expertly painted.)
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Raz

• Scientist
Well, the Sturmgruppe is a brilliant piece of work. But the colours are a bit blend. I really like the colours of the first entry. The painting is also very nice (saw some reenactors of the period a while ago, the miniatures are a good match!), the first entry is getting my vote.

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
I think the admiral is being punished by the voters here for not submitting a new entry, which is kind of mean as he is already missing out on the bonus points, so it's a double whammy. But hey, that's democracy for you! And nobody said the LPL was going to be a walk in the park. :)

Thanks for the support, Plynkes, it makes my heart feeling a bit warmer in these cold times ...   :'(

But really, I knew from the start what would happen when I come back with the Sturmgruppe-entry, but I didn't have enough time to finish a new entry. That's a bad thing when participating in the LPL, but hey - being part of this nice show is everything, isn't it?  :D

Ok then, I know what's being expected from me next week. I'll be here ...  8)

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
Despite the Sturmgruppe being absoluetely fantastic the fresh entry gets my vote too (even though that one may well have been used last league). Don't despair Bennow, at least you own those magnificent models! 8)
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
In all honesty, I have to vote for the Admiral because his painting is frankly better than mine  :)

I also suspect I'm getting a few sympathy votes as the bloke running the competition!

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
I also suspect I'm getting a few sympathy votes as the bloke running the competition!

Having already been chastized by The Prof, I've been keeping quiet about the benefits of anonymity, but with such an opening...   :)

Of course we'd all know one of your entries, with or without a name attached to it.

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
I'm highly critical of the attitude "new is better". To me, it's the quality of the painting that counts. Next time we'll just get some basecoated figures presented and everybody is going to say "hey, they're new so they get my vote."  ;)

Sorry, of course everybody has his or her own priority and that's what's nice about an open vote. And of course the Gun Crew is a little piece of art. However, from the blending technique and the result the Sturmgruppe is really something I will remember in a few years.

Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Richard, where's the artillery piece from?

It's from the TAG (The Assault Group Thirty Years War range, along with the figures)  :)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Well...

I voted for the gun team because I liked it better.  Nice color and a gorgeous shot!