Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:55:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690340
  • Total Topics: 118326
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord Games gone a little bit ''PC''?  (Read 3727 times)

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
Warlord Games gone a little bit ''PC''?
« on: March 09, 2018, 04:45:37 AM »
Saw the new Hail Caesar supplement 'Shield Wall' being advertised a few weeks ago it was shown to come with a miniature of a  viking carrying off an unfortunate maiden (pretty standard trope).

A week later without a peep the free miniature has been changed to Harald Steptoesson, while no explanation for why the dropped a newly sculpted mini for a much older one...you can hazard a guess.

Found the whole thing slightly amusing, peoples thoughts?

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Re: Warlord Games gone a little bit ''PC''?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 04:54:21 AM »
Maybe it wasn't PC what inspired Warlord to change the miniature, but that they thought good old Harald would be more appealing to potential players, as buying incentive, than a lecherous Viking kidnapping a Carolingian/Anglo-Saxon maiden. 

Of course, given the power of the PC Inquisition in social media, you are probably right and it is Warlord trying to avoid negative publicity.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 05:03:16 AM »
Or it could be that the finished minis had some casting/mold flaws.

Personally, I would prefer the older mini, were I to buy the book, but more out of finding it more useful in an army/warband.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 05:09:49 AM »
Maybe it wasn't PC what inspired Warlord to change the miniature, but that they thought good old Harald would be more appealing to potential players, as buying incentive, than a lecherous Viking kidnapping a Carolingian/Anglo-Saxon maiden. 

Of course, given the power of the PC Inquisition in social media, you are probably right and it is Warlord trying to avoid negative publicity.

The harald minis is available to buy separately although is temporarily out of stock. I'd bet its the second as it just seems odd to me to make a mini you don't use.

Also does anybody actually care about the new blood red skies game that is coming out? They've been plugging it since last year and any hype I might of felt has long since evaporated.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 07:32:22 AM »
Maybe it wasn’t political correctness at all? Maybe someone reflected on whether the image of implied rape and pillage was a good marketing notion, when you are looking at growing your market and the growth potential is likely to number children, some of them female. Maybe they decided that the creepy, mysoginist  rape ‘n’ torture imagery was best left to the Brother Vinnis of this world who seem quite happy to corner that particular market.

Just maybe the monumental worldwide conspiracy of librul, meeja elites to impose a puritanical overlay on the world of toy soldiers isn’t actually as monumental as you might think.

Happy International Women’s Day for yesterday!
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 08:49:05 AM »
''Maybe it wasn’t political correctness at all? Maybe someone reflected on whether the image of implied rape and pillage was a good marketing notion,''

If a company is worried about those types of implications they shouldn't be making vikings as the association between pillage, rape and vikings is a common one.

''when you are looking at growing your market and the growth potential is likely to number children, some of them female.''

I can't imagine very many women and children are playing hail caesar lol Not the right aesthetics.

The'll have to redo the looting landschnekts pack if they are committed.

''Just maybe the monumental worldwide conspiracy of librul, meeja elites to impose a puritanical overlay on the world of toy soldiers isn’t actually as monumental as you might think.''

Nice straw man, completely unnecessary.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 09:10:26 AM »
I would have liked a giveaway with a maiden kicking a viking in the groin for trying to rape her. Innovative and a nice change on a theme.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 09:17:47 AM »
Maybe it wasn’t political correctness at all? Maybe someone reflected on whether the image of implied rape and pillage was a good marketing notion, when you are looking at growing your market and the growth potential is likely to number children, some of them female. Maybe they decided that the creepy, mysoginist  rape ‘n’ torture imagery was best left to the Brother Vinnis of this world who seem quite happy to corner that particular market.

Just maybe the monumental worldwide conspiracy of librul, meeja elites to impose a puritanical overlay on the world of toy soldiers isn’t actually as monumental as you might think.

Happy International Women’s Day for yesterday!

I'd be a lot happier if people didn't keep using the term political correctness as an insult.

I can certainly remember when there was less pressure to be 'politically correct' (or as I prefer to call it, 'Polite & Considerate'), and it was horrendous for very many people who were racially abused, discriminated against for their genitalia or their sexual preferences, their disability or their political views.

Happy International Women's Day.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 09:24:07 AM »
I'd be happier if people didn't keep trying to turn LAF into a battleground in the culture war, personally. There's already every single entire inch of the rest of the internet out there for that.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 09:33:11 AM »
''I can certainly remember when there was less pressure to be 'politically correct' (or as I prefer to call it, 'Polite & Considerate'), and it was horrendous for very many people who were racially abused, discriminated against for their genitalia or their sexual preferences, their disability or their political views. ''

Being polite and considerate is good, no arguments there, but these days ''PC'' can really depend on whomever is pushing it for instance the new videogame Kingdom Come is being bashed as not politically correct for its lack of inclusion of PoC...in a game set in 15th century rural Bohemia...

''I'd be happier if people didn't keep trying to turn LAF into a battleground in the culture war, personally.''

Wsn't my intention at all, original post was made to just highlight an oddity I had noticed, not essentially be implied that I believed in ''Just maybe the monumental worldwide conspiracy of librul, meeja elites to impose a puritanical overlay on the world of toy soldiers isn’t actually as monumental as you might think.''...which is a load of nonsense lol

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 09:36:22 AM »
Well if you thought everyone was going to simply nod and say "my gosh, you're right" then you've clearly never been to the internet before. :)

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 09:40:11 AM »
Ah, the great PC conspiracy. :D Sure, there's silly things around, but I'm not fond of the term in a negative light. People who complain about silly things will do so in any context. These people just use it as a thin veil to live their weird frustrations outwardly.

Maybe the sculpt just wasn't up to snuff, maybe the mould broke, maybe indeed Warlord thought that the thing would sell less well, maybe transferring the Footsore(?) minis to Warlord's production infrastructure was faster than thought and they managed to get the new character production ready faster than anticipated and thought it would fit better, maybe they try to include figures 'players can actually use in their warbands' (that thing GW do - include toys which will work in your toy army), ...

I would like to think that a tiger are the mould of the other figure. Because it's all just us guessing at this point. If you want you can contact Warlord and ask. It's 2018, if they have info on this they wanna share they will, if not they won't. But rather than throwing speculation around we can just email the companies in question. :)

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 09:49:21 AM »
Eh, was just looking for a little harmless back and forth discussion...silly me lol.

Having everyone agree with you sounds good in theory, in practice I find it very boring.

''But rather than throwing speculation around we can just email the companies in question.''

Lol, you've never emailed them then, these days it takes them agrees to reply to anything, they used to be quite prompt, I asked them a question on their Facebook a couple of weeks ago and still haven't gotten a reply.

I had no idea the new dark ages stuff used to be by footsore, source?

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2018, 09:55:39 AM »
I'd be happier if people didn't keep trying to turn LAF into a battleground in the culture war, personally. There's already every single entire inch of the rest of the internet out there for that.
Totally agree with that.

As for the minis; let's reflect a bit on the fact that we're using small pieces of pewter and plastic to represent all the cruelties and atrocities of war. We're playing at murdering as many of the 'enemy' as possible. Wars are never 'clean' and what on earth would be politically correct about them?

Having studied archeology back in the day, one of the things I was infused with, is that facts are immutable (and archeology is about fact finding). What others (historians, authors, politicians etc) do with those facts is another thing entirely, and spinning  facts is all too prevalent in today's society (But certainly not limited to today; history has always been written by the victor after all).

But if we, as wargamers, are truly about accurately recreating the battlefields of yore (and today) as factually as possible, we should not shirk away from those aspects of war that are distastful or horrible to our 21st century sensibilities.

We may not agree with them, from our modern point of view, but omitting or even denying them is wrong. Instead, they can be used as a lesson to be learnt. Because if we start cherrypicking only those aspects of historical wars that are acceptable to us now, we're not playing historical battles, we're playing fantasy battles.

In the end, wars are not agreeable to any of us (especially those of us who've been through them), and the further back in history we go, the more disagreeable they become. Because wars were an even more gory, brutal and ruthless affair in past centuries/millennia.

We should not project our current viewpoints on existing facts, as appalling as they are to us. They are a part of our history and shaped our society, many things even ringing through to today, even though we might not even notice it.

So; by all means question the usability of the originally offered miniature in wargames (perhaps it would be more at place in skirmish games as an objective (grabber)?), but please leave any political correctness out of it, because amongst facts (and LAF), there is just no room for such a discussion...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2018, 09:57:10 AM »
The new figures are from the Saxon Miniatures Line I believe.