Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:53:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690758
  • Total Topics: 118348
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord Games gone a little bit ''PC''?  (Read 3732 times)

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
Re: Warlord Games gone a little bit ''PC''?
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2018, 10:08:08 AM »
I have to say i'm in line with daeothar, who pretty much described my own position more eloquently than I could ever.

I'd also say it's a tricky line trying to please everybody, say for example you do start cutting out miniatures like the example I gave, things might not start their as warlord have plenty of other ''iffy'' miniatures (looking at you bolt action japanese!) or the looting landschnekts which has a lady being carried off,.

You risk upsetting your previous consumer base in order to please people who might not have any intention of buying in the first place(iv'e seen that happen in the videogames arena a few times).

...That all being said..I do hate useless minis like that, I for one am a bit tired of all the 'vignette' style minis that warlord includes with it's rulebooks, i'd prefer something like an alternate officer/nco.

Although more so I wish that warlord would just concentrate on the properties it has.

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2018, 10:16:03 AM »
I'd be happier if people didn't keep trying to turn LAF into a battleground in the culture war, personally. There's already every single entire inch of the rest of the internet out there for that.
this in bloody spades.
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2018, 10:18:05 AM »
All I know is that the name of the mini is a real throwback to the good old days of GW.  Harold Steptoesson, classic!

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2018, 10:30:51 AM »
Personally as much as I dislike it, the culture war is unavoidable online(and especially anything dealing with history), as long as we remain respectful I think some productive discussion is have-able.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2018, 10:36:50 AM »
Personally as much as I dislike it, the culture war is unavoidable online(and especially anything dealing with history), as long as we remain respectful I think some productive discussion is have-able.

Putting a stop to this, this is very clearly veering off to politics territory. No politics of any kind on LAF, if you please.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2018, 10:59:04 AM »
I would have liked a giveaway with a maiden kicking a viking in the groin for trying to rape her. Innovative and a nice change on a theme.

Too mainstream! A better idea for a little diorama: a Viking shieldmaiden looking pissed off because a big, hairy Viking is oogling a little, cute Irish monk. That would have been more innovative.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2018, 11:37:12 AM »
''Putting a stop to this, this is very clearly veering off to politics territory. No politics of any kind on LAF, if you please.''

I didn't men we should start making threads, but when it does (inevitably) come up, it is possible to discuss whatever issue is at hand like adults.

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2018, 03:20:43 PM »
The easiest way to avoid a ‘political’ discussion is to have people stop bandying around loaded phrases like politically correct.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2018, 04:09:12 PM »
You could just ask them. ;)
I strongly suspect the happy coincidence of it being nearly half the metal may have occurred to someone along the way.Even if its after you've talked to them.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2018, 04:26:09 PM »
The easiest way to avoid a ‘political’ discussion is to have people stop bandying around loaded phrases like politically correct.

Why not? It shortens nicely, and it is more polite than other potential descriptions of that particular branch of self-impossed censorship.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2018, 04:30:28 PM »
You lads can't tale a hint?

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2018, 04:58:01 PM »
You lads can't tale a hint?

Apparently not.  :?
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2018, 05:03:45 PM »
I feel Ragnar as a freebee would make sense, since it will be probably more useful ( and less controversial ) to most potential buyers than the first.
Having said that, I hope the first fig will be available on general sale, sice it will be quite suitable for a special "rescue the maiden" scenario...
Leadhead

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2018, 05:21:28 PM »
I'd be happier if people didn't keep trying to turn LAF into a battleground in the culture war, personally. There's already every single entire inch of the rest of the internet out there for that.

I completely agree.
I come to the Forum for the miniatures.
I leave my opinions about everything else at the door.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2018, 05:25:51 PM »
As an aside, is there any evidence that vikings were more guilty of rape than any other faction/nation? I would imagine it's impossible to prove they actually did more or less, there's no archeological evidence as far as I know, it's purely down to historical accounts, which are always open to intepretation/propaganda, etc. Rape and pillage happens in all warfare, I don't understand why the vikings have that reputation any more than any other warriors.

Another aside related to a previous comment, is warfare from further back really more brutal than modern conflict? A ship full of vikings could inflict a bit of damage on a raid, but I would say nowhere near as much as that inflicted in modern warfare. Civilians are far more likely to be caught up in modern conflict, accidentally or otherwise. The ongoing suffering of Syrian civilians is a case in point, we can look at Iraq, the Balkans, Vietnam, Hiroshima, all the millions that died in WW2. We might consider ourselves more advanced, but are we really?