Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:25:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord Games gone a little bit ''PC''?  (Read 3677 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Warlord Games gone a little bit ''PC''?
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2018, 05:45:09 PM »
As an aside, is there any evidence that vikings were more guilty of rape than any other faction/nation? I would imagine it's impossible to prove they actually did more or less, there's no archeological evidence as far as I know, it's purely down to historical accounts, which are always open to intepretation/propaganda, etc. Rape and pillage happens in all warfare, I don't understand why the vikings have that reputation any more than any other warriors.

Another aside related to a previous comment, is warfare from further back really more brutal than modern conflict? A ship full of vikings could inflict a bit of damage on a raid, but I would say nowhere near as much as that inflicted in modern warfare. Civilians are far more likely to be caught up in modern conflict, accidentally or otherwise. The ongoing suffering of Syrian civilians is a case in point, we can look at Iraq, the Balkans, Vietnam, Hiroshima, all the millions that died in WW2. We might consider ourselves more advanced, but are we really?

Well, there are first hand accounts, like that of arab merchant Ibn Fadlan who met vikings at the upper Volga around the year 921, which does not paint a very pretty picture of these vikings *from our modern point of view*. He seemed more hung up about their hygiene and lewdness than their brutality and abuse of slaves, which is sort of telling what he was used to back in Bagdad (or wherever he came from).

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2018, 05:51:15 PM »
I come to the Forum for the miniatures.
I leave my opinions about everything else at the door.

That should be core component of the LAF creed.  :)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2018, 07:01:45 PM »
As an aside, is there any evidence that vikings were more guilty of rape than any other faction/nation? I would imagine it's impossible to prove they actually did more or less, there's no archeological evidence as far as I know, it's purely down to historical accounts, which are always open to intepretation/propaganda, etc. Rape and pillage happens in all warfare, I don't understand why the vikings have that reputation any more than any other warriors.

I do know that once the Norse/Vikings started settling in the Danelaw areas of England the locals complained that because of better Norse grooming habits (bathing once a week! combing their hair and beards daily! washing their linens! the horror!) they were supposedly seducing all the women away from the local Angles or Saxons or whoever.  lol

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2018, 07:41:58 PM »
Ah, the great PC conspiracy. :D Sure, there's silly things around, but I'm not fond of the term in a negative light. People who complain about silly things will do so in any context. These people just use it as a thin veil to live their weird frustrations outwardly.

Maybe the sculpt just wasn't up to snuff, maybe the mould broke, maybe indeed Warlord thought that the thing would sell less well, maybe transferring the Footsore(?) minis to Warlord's production infrastructure was faster than thought and they managed to get the new character production ready faster than anticipated and thought it would fit better, maybe they try to include figures 'players can actually use in their warbands' (that thing GW do - include toys which will work in your toy army), ...

I would like to think that a tiger are the mould of the other figure. Because it's all just us guessing at this point. If you want you can contact Warlord and ask. It's 2018, if they have info on this they wanna share they will, if not they won't. But rather than throwing speculation around we can just email the companies in question. :)

Righto, it could be for any reason, so a lot of this argy-bargy might be pointless. As Mark said, for all we know it was changed because Harald is half the metal of the other one.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2018, 08:25:41 PM »
"Harald Hálfrjárn" - a good Viking name, and maybe a good point to end this discussion on, which, given the lack of hard facts available and the unfortunate tendency of speculation going awry, is unlikely to yield a favourable outcome.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 08:28:54 PM by Westfalia Chris »