Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:44:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Poll

?

Armour on the 10-centimetre front (6mm scale) (Vanvlak)
37 (23.6%)
The Grey Wolves (Chambersofminiatures)
120 (76.4%)

Total Members Voted: 154

Author Topic: ROUND 2 Armour on the 10-centimetre front (6mm scale) vs The Grey Wolves  (Read 4698 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Difficult. Such very different themes and styles

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
Yikes! I'm glad my boys aren't up against Cham's...! :o

I love what you did with your guns, Cham'. Any tips...?
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Now THAT is the best compliment ever  :) :)
Having my lot considered a difficult choice when compared to Chambers' wolves, I mean!
GRAND job, Chambers - especially the white coat.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Now THAT is the best compliment ever  :) :)
Having my lot considered a difficult choice when compared to Chambers' wolves, I mean!
GRAND job, Chambers - especially the white coat.

Well, it is a case where not only scales and models are so very different, but it is also a match where originality is pitched against top quality paint job.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Ooooooh...difficult one! I totally love the 6mm stuff. The colors are perfect, the look and shots are awesome and I like the ground they're fighting on.
The second entry is very nicely painted. The colors are well chosen and the end result is very clean. The shot itself almost seems a bit too crisp and borders on too harsh for me. Can't really put my finger on it what is bugging me. It has to do with the photowork.

In the end I voted for the first entry because I love the setting, really like the colors and they really inspired me to paint my own 6mm!
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Raz

• Scientist
Love the detailing on the 6mm. Very inspirational (should get mine out also :) ).

The second entry is nicely painted, but the colours are a bit too light imho.

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
Sorry, but I'm tired of German sailors now...
6mm stuff gets my vote.
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Bob da dowg

• Bookworm
    • http://www.obeliskminiatures.com
Great stuff Vanvlak, really love it. Coloring is subtle and very realistic.

What I like with your work is the unusual and your own imagination that's going wild.  A class of it's own.

Being an addict to small scale stuff and there especially scifi (did some armour and miniatures in 6mm myself ages ago - now sold by Bacchus) I'm curious about the producer of the flyers. Looks a bit like GZG but I'm not shure. Perhaps you could enlighten us on it.

You've got my vote, keep on going strong, mate.

Cheers,
JO
www.obeliskminiatures.com
In the dying light of civilization even dwarves cast giant shadows

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
These two entries are great. I know we have seen a number of Grey Wolves, but it is very nice to see the different paint schemes. The small ships are superb as well. The painting and rusted, and battle-worn effects look fantastic!! Good luck to you both.
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Chambersofminiatures

• LPL Silver Medalist (S5,S7)
  • Scientist
When I submitted the Grey Wolves in with my round one entry, I had no idea that the competition would be thick with u-boat mates. Who is putting theirs in next round?

Heldrak: The guns are painted with GW Chainmail over black and washed is several layers with GW Badab Black (new washes). Works great for blacken metals like guns and armour.

I love the micro war machines. I am not familiar with that scale...might have to branch out. I like the weathering of the vehicle very much. The flyers are really catching my eye.
2013 Lead Tally: Acquired:219  Painted: 118   Total: -101
2014 Lead Tally: Acquired:197  Painted: 240   Total: +43
2015 Lead Tally: Acquired:275  Painted: 116   Total: -159
2016 Lead Tally: Acquired:223  Painted  140   Total: -83

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Thanks guys - I'm going to sit in a corner and blush for twenty minutes  :) :)
If this is generating interest in 6mm that's just great - I love these small scale guys, mainly because they're convenient to store! The pic was taken on a small area from my miniature game board, designed for skirmishes in 6mm scale. Storage space is a big issue at our place.

German sailors - Chambers, I can assure you they will not feature in my entries  :D
I don't think I'm good enough to even attempt to paint these grand looking models - but you sure did them justice. 8) 8)

Malebolgia, Raz, Bob and Hitman - really TOO kind :) the best thing about these guys is I had loads of fun painting them - I'm usually better at machines than people; and the small details on these are more fun than twenty acres of Schutzen in a larger scale  ;)
The flyers were a last minute (well, last two days!) addition, but it seems they went down well. I have to admit that I don't know the manufacturers! Some kind modellers in the USA had sent me all of these models. The tanks have T-Rex written underneath, and I seem to remember something about these but can't quite place my finger on it; the fliers are almost certainly GZG, so well-spotted Bob! But I'm waiting for a confirmation from the chap who'd sent them to me.
EDIT: NO THEY'RE NOT! They come from the Reaper CAV game - seems that they were horribly undersized when they came out, so much so that although they were met for 10mm scale they look the part of 6mm vehicles; the model was replaced with a larger version subsequently. According to my source (Hi Luis) the smaller ones could still be available for sale from the Reaper site; the later, ;arger ones are marked 'true scale'.

I admit I have a small confession to make about the large tank with the snakey, flexible gun: that should have been a straight barrel (I think!). It was ridiculously flimsy, and I was about to cut it off and replace it when I realised that when bent it looked a lot like Mek Quake's neck (remember him? RoBusters? ABC Warriors?) or a Martian heat ray - and I twisted it and left it as seen in the pic.
The models are unconverted except for the bent cannon, the damage to the other large tank, and the searchlight thingies on both large tanks - no prizes for guessing what those originally were.

Oh and Bob -  do you mean the sci-fi ranges sold by Bacchus? Wow!  8) 8)
If you like the odd stuff - there's more to come.  ;) Although to please such an appreciative audience I may have to replace some of my less unusual planned entries with stranger stuff!
Just as a foretaste - yesterday I found what will constitute most of a model in my week 3 entry lying in the road under the kerb .....  and no, it's nothing that was once alive :o

« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 05:51:47 PM by Vanvlak »

Offline Le matou rouge

• Mad Scientist
Great stuff Vanvlak, really love it. Coloring is subtle and very realistic.

What I like with your work is the unusual and your own imagination that's going wild.  A class of it's own.

Can't say better.

meow,
Matt
We are the Village Green Preservation Society
We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular
Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula
Ray Davies