Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:59:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Poll

?

A Short Expedition (Mr J)
30 (18.5%)
Think of your Pals in the Infantry (Plynkes)
132 (81.5%)

Total Members Voted: 159

Author Topic: ROUND 2 A Short Expedition vs Think of your Pals in the Infantry  (Read 9066 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: ROUND 2 A Short Expedition vs Think of your Pals in the Infantry
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 11:11:40 AM »
Svennn, I don't think this latest batch of greybacks are too bad. Still a bit too blue, though...  lol

Gamer Mac, that's probably true, I don't think I've ever seen a pic of someone wearing one in Palestine. You get cake, but again it isn't what I was thinking of (we're piling them up here, ain't we?). I couldn't be bothered to remove it. I like to think he's got his packed lunch in there (I've got one of those bags, and that's what I used mine for when I was a kid.  :))
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 11:29:21 AM »
My vote is for the old school dwarfs, really like the tartan pattern on one of the middel ones too 8)

The tank is lovely, and the painting on the infantry as well, but I just don't care about WW1 that much 8)
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 04:31:19 PM »
Oh dear, I don't think I'm going to be getting many votes from Pil. Reckon about half of my planned entries have a Great War theme.  lol

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 04:39:45 PM »
Oh dear, I don't think I'm going to be getting many votes from Pil. Reckon about half of my planned entries have a Great War theme.  lol

What do they say " You cannot please all of the people all of the time"?

Each to their own but if I used such criteria I wouldn't be voting for an awful lot of entries. Its one of those things that makes the LPL what it is.
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 01:23:18 AM »
The tank is absolutely fantastic...great job. The little expedition, is very nice!!
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 06:44:41 AM »

lol

That's ok, I'm planning to enter a lot of Space Marines which dn't seem to be hugely popular around here  8)

Your painting is really good but I just liove those old dwarfs and you didn't really need my vote to win anyway ;)

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 08:24:09 AM »
I've worked out whats wrong with the tank,

theres a bush growing out the front  :D ;)

dodge

Online Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 09:03:51 AM »
The tank is lovely, and the painting on the infantry as well, but I just don't care about WW1 that much 8)

I personally find this a weird way of judging. As Brax, Pil and Raz know I really hate historical games and don't want a thing to do with them.
But I think that has nothing to do with how to judge entries. This contest is about painting, presenting images and very often creating a story. I don't care shit for historics but that has nothing to do with how I see and judge the photos in the LPL (or any other painting competition).
I voted for the second entry because I thought it was the better entry on most aspects. I'd never-ever-ever-ever consider buying the miniatures from the second photo and would LOVE to paint these dwarves though.

But that's the cool thing about the LPL to me. Each person judges by his own standards and interests and this yields the interesting results and comments.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 09:15:45 AM »
But that's the cool thing about the LPL to me. Each person judges by his own standards and interests and this yields the interesting results and comments.

Indeed, I take great joy in judging the pictures subjectively rather than objectively, which is also why I sometimes feel the need to explain myself. There are no judging criteria laid out and the original intent suggested to me that painting quality alone should not be the deciding factor. In this case I might say that the tank wins on volume of painted models and painting quality as well, but the picture of the dwarfs is a bit clearer, also has a nice background and a very nice title. Whereas the story of the second picture is not very clear to me (are the men infantry or crew?) and the caption hardly helps (it just confounds me). I did have a think about this entry because there was no clear winner at first sight so in the end I decided to take the pic I liked best and it was the dwarfs because, simply, they were classic dwarfs 8)

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 09:45:24 AM »
I normally ASAP after seeing the picture, so first impression is what counts. I don;t care about which period I'm looking at, or the best paintign style (though this sometimes helps a lot). Only if the first impression doesn't give a clear winner I'll look in more detail why I like one entry better then the other... I just think everyone can choose how he/she wants to and any further discussion can be held somewhere else instead of here (there is ample oppertunity on other threads)

Here I liked both and ultimatly went for the tank because I liked that story more.

Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2009, 12:04:39 PM »
You chaps on the Groningen jury take your eurovision responsibilities very seriously  ;)

Online Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2009, 12:17:20 PM »
Oh dear...and consider what our country is sending to the next Eurovision Song Festival:

You're not comparing Brax, Pil and me with them, now are ya? ;)

Offline Raz

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2009, 12:36:39 PM »

I personally find this a weird way of judging. As Brax, Pil and Raz know I really hate historical games and don't want a thing to do with them.
But I think that has nothing to do with how to judge entries. This contest is about painting, presenting images and very often creating a story. I don't care shit for historics but that has nothing to do with how I see and judge the photos in the LPL (or any other painting competition).

Same here. It's well known to you guys that I'm a big fan of everything historical, but historical miniatures don't get a plus or non-historical a minus when determining who to vote for. For me it's also about the painting, the presentation (partly first impression) and the story. I really don't care much if the miniatures are historical or not.

Amen to that, very true indeed. This is imo also what makes it an interesting 'competition': painting lots of miniatures and receiving good and divers feedback on them.

As to the picture, you guys in tiger stripped shiny suits... :o lol

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2009, 12:46:12 PM »
You chaps on the Groningen jury take your eurovision responsibilities very seriously  ;)

That's it, next round I'm voting for Lordi  8)

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2009, 01:21:31 PM »
so now I have read many posts on this round, people like:

Variety

Vibrant colours

A story

this will be fun for me in later rounds   :D

and those guys in the suits - wrong just wrong  ::)

dodge