Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:42:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686474
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Don's North West Frontier  (Read 14866 times)

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
Re: Don's North West Frontier
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2018, 06:20:59 PM »
A fine thread m thanks for sharing
Cheers
Deedles

One day the lead mountain will be gone.... one day

http://onemanhisbrushes.blogspot.co.uk/
http://blazingdice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline DonVoss

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2018, 11:01:10 PM »
Okay, after the first week I wondered if I should expaned my littel NWF collection.
Not wanting to spend more money, I was trying to work from the plastic pile....like with the Victrix scotts.

In my humble net reseacherings I found a cool picture of theofficers of the 10th husars.
They really look like a ragtag professional troope...:)

So I saw my chance to get some cav oin the way...
...cause I had some old ACW cav sprues laying around....:)

I know the button counters are going to kill me, but everyone with a big lead or plastic pile might have some mercy with me... lol

Cheers,
Don

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2018, 08:18:18 AM »
Well I'm a button-counter, but I only count my own buttons. Counting another man's buttons for him is just not the done thing, Don. Keep doing what you're doing. :)

Not sure the 10th Hussars would appreciate being called 'ragtag.' They would have considered themselves among the cream of the crop, and a cut above the rest.  lol

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2018, 08:19:10 AM »
Don,

BEAUTIFUL job on all these figures and terrain pieces!

I've literally spent decades immersed in the history of the Second Afghan War and could quote historically accurate uniform and weapon details for most of the troops involved, but instead of killing you I'd much rather get you to paint some figures and make some terrain pieces for me!  Also, I'm excited to see how your Herati Afghan regular infantry turn out!

P.S.  All that being said, the idea of using cavalry troopers in shell jackets and knee boots as ------ NO, I won't go there ------ I WON'T!!!  I just want to see them painted by you in khaki and blue...

PS  I'm also with Plynkes re: the 10th Hussars -- they look like a high-speed, low drag bunch of field veterans to me!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 08:25:25 AM by Mad Guru »
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline DonVoss

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2018, 03:12:29 PM »
@Plynkes
Thank you for your response. Sorry, if I got the "ragtag" word wrong. My school english is not the best.....:)
I ment somehow colourfull and professional campaign look...;)

@mad guru
I feel honoured that the mad guru is visiting my short little project....:)
Your site is so inspirational and just the wealth of information, miniatures and scenery is more then stunning. Your project, if one can call it that, is every wargamers dream.

I just want to see them painted by you in khaki and blue...

"As you wish!"

Just painted 4 minis for starters. Perhaps I will get them to 6. Have to see...

And in all my ignorance I used a few more turban heads and got me some lancers....;)
Will perhaps get them bulckier trousers.

Used the overhead on greenstuff for a few more afghans.

...and again sorry for applying the wrong attributes to the 10th husars. No slander intended....;)

Cheers,
Don

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2018, 05:16:53 PM »
Pay no attention, DonVoss, I was just having some fun with you. Your English is fine.

I love those last four conversions, especially. Really nice job. And such a work rate.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2018, 05:21:41 PM »
Great stuff Don, keep it coming  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2018, 05:23:18 PM »
Wow, you are really banging through this project. Glad to see such enthusiasm coupled with actual output! My projects usually have the enthusiasm but the output gets lost along the way... :'( 

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2018, 05:33:05 PM »
Great work,really enjoying this thread,love the village and watchtower too. :)

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2018, 06:02:24 PM »
Love the greenstuff turbans on those ansar and do I detect a Warlord ECW musketeer second from left?  Great conversions.   :D :D :D

I know you are not particularly fussed about historical accuracy, but just one tiny point. I don't recall any afghan wandering around barechested.  ;)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2018, 07:03:03 PM »
I know you are not particularly fussed about historical accuracy, but just one tiny point. I don't recall any afghan wandering around barechested.  ;)

Maybe they're a bunch of undercover thuggees.  ;)

Most promising, all of this.

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2018, 08:04:13 PM »
Amazing output and such nice work :-* :-* I look forward to your progress.
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2018, 10:36:06 PM »
Love the greenstuff turbans on those ansar and do I detect a Warlord ECW musketeer second from left?  Great conversions.   :D :D :D

Ok for the second phrase, I don't pretend to be an expert for the period, but, concerning your sculpting ability, I may say that it is out-stan-ding!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2018, 08:04:18 AM »
It's true you don't see much illustrated or photographic evidence of 19th Century "barechested" Afghans but it's also not completely unheard of, particularly in the case of Ghazi fanatics, whose are generaly described as wearing white clothing but are somtimes described or pictured with their upper bodies at least partially bare.

I mostly use a mix of white-robed and bare-chested figures (with white pants!) for my Ghazi units.

Here's a couple of examples -- a period news illustration of an Afghan Ghazi about to be executed by the British, and figure "3" in the Osprey plate shows a Wilayati (Afghan mercenary) turned-Ghazi from the Indian Mutiny:

Not trying to say most or even many 19th Century Afghan tribal fighters or all Afghan Ghazis fought this way, but I don't know about ruling it out, particularly in the heat of Summer.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 08:06:59 AM by Mad Guru »

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2018, 12:23:22 PM »
It's true you don't see much illustrated or photographic evidence of 19th Century "barechested" Afghans but it's also not completely unheard of, particularly in the case of Ghazi fanatics, whose are generaly described as wearing white clothing but are somtimes described or pictured with their upper bodies at least partially bare.

I mostly use a mix of white-robed and bare-chested figures (with white pants!) for my Ghazi units.

Here's a couple of examples -- a period news illustration of an Afghan Ghazi about to be executed by the British, and figure "3" in the Osprey plate shows a Wilayati (Afghan mercenary) turned-Ghazi from the Indian Mutiny:

Not trying to say most or even many 19th Century Afghan tribal fighters or all Afghan Ghazis fought this way, but I don't know about ruling it out, particularly in the heat of Summer.

Fair enough.  I retract my comment about bare chests and re-iterarate the one about fantastic sculpts.  :D :D