Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:30:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690583
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 796
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Painting to look like old photo  (Read 4434 times)

Offline coldshooter

• Lurker
Painting to look like old photo
« on: February 22, 2007, 04:55:09 AM »
Has anyone tried painting a set of minis in only shades of grey to look like 1930s photographs? Any thoughts on skintones? Clothing should be rather straight forward black shadow to white highlight. I think shadow orientation will be notable in a group and illumination angle should be watched.
"the truth can always be hidden" Thomas Jefferson

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 05:36:32 AM »
a guy on CMON have painted something like this, in sepia clors, looked really good

Offline zbyshko

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 07:47:53 AM »
i think that would be a really interesting, artistic endeavor to show off skills on a set piece (ie dispaly) or on a diorama - like i shadow box of the miniatures posed and framed as a "picture".

but as playing pieces, i would worry about looking sight of them - both where they are on the "field" and who is whom.  but then i tend toward some hyperrealism when i paint my figures:  "i know it's an alien from Aldeberon, but it's still a leather belt, and the leather should b this colour.."

so, give it a try and i'l already give you an "A" for effort!

kindly, yours

ralph
\"I drank WHAT!?!\" - Socrates

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 11:16:18 AM »
I thought about painting my gangsters black/white. Because I know them from the movies only in b/w... and it's also a bit difficult to tell what the real colors are.
But I'd have to paint all my scenery also b/w and a whole table only in different shades of grey looks very boring, I think.
"I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 autogyro?"
"Uh, I better look in the manual... This book must be out of date. I don't see "Prussia", "Siam" or "autogyro"...

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 11:45:36 AM »
I was just having the same thoughts but you are right the terrain would be a nightmare.

I quite fancied the Sin City look with the odd thing in colour like Mr Yellow or tyheir eyes etc

I am now looking at the Dick Tracey Movie for colourful costumes :)

OH and my Ape gangster came today along with the ape gang whihc has a Gangsters Moll (gorilla) and a nice bodyguard with a crowbar and pistol in his pocket. The others wil be pressganged into my Sci Fi gorilla armies though the hic orangutang could be a hill billy sniper  :lol:

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 12:45:00 PM »
I saw a game at Salute many years ago based ont he black and white movie Stagecoach - John Waynes big break into movies.

All the figures where painted in black, grey and white, as was the stagecoach, the indians, and the desert terrain.

In my mind the whole thing just looked odd, I don't think the concept for a game is right, its fine for a diorama piece to photograph, but seeing them in the flesh it just doesnt work in my opinion. :?:
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline W.B.Kurgan

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 01:02:16 PM »
I thought about doing this for Pulp Sci-Fi (1930s Flash Gordon!) but I've gone off the idea as well.

:roll:
Mein Flugzeug ist kaputt!

Offline zbyshko

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 01:05:59 AM »
Quote from: "Lowtardog"
I am now looking at the Dick Tracey Movie for colourful costumes :)

i think that Dick Tracey would be a better visual for the tabletop - visually catching.   would it be just as difficult as the b/w, keeping the bright colours bright and still shaded?

show off those skill my boy!!

ralph

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 08:49:47 AM »
I agree on that, using a "four-color" comic book style might be more appropriate. Shading should be as reduced as possible, using warm, soft shades, for example a yellowy orange for yellow, etc - you know, just so much that the definitions become visible, but not too prominent.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 09:10:07 AM »
I am no expert and certainly not a good painter but would the low lights and high lights not be quite marked?

I was digging up some of the info on the film and tyhey say the colours used wer

Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/Orange and purple with black and white. I need to get a copy of the film for a look see but I am sure they used tints and shades of these colours for the costumes

Offline W.B.Kurgan

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 09:49:59 AM »
If you are going for the film, then yes they would be shaded and highlighted naturally.

If you are going for the original four-colour comic strip look then they should be block-colours.

I'd go for the film-look personally.  :mrgreen:

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 11:31:30 AM »
Yep you are right Kurgen I am talking at cross purposes, my apologies Chris  :)

It got me thinking you almost need to black line for a comic book look and the only way would to use a black undercoat and as you say Kurgen block paint.