Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:35:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Victrix Dark Ages anyone??  (Read 70283 times)

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
Re: Victrix Dark Ages anyone??
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2018, 09:52:11 AM »
Thinking ahead, how will Victrix scale up with Footsore and Colin Patten sculpts I wonder?

I think Footsore and Patten go well together and own both, so I'm hoping Victrix will fit in fine.

Glad I got a big wargames table (well 7ft by 5ft anyway) to accommodate all these figures!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2018, 10:16:15 AM »
The Victrix plastics are imo the best historical plastic sets. Certainly better than Fireforge, Conquest and Gripping Beasts.

Totally agree with that.

The Victrix plastics are imo the best historical plastic sets. Imo better than Perry HYW/WotR.

I really don't agree with that though ;)

I wonder what their first sets could be. Normans, Vikings and Saxons are already available, but I am certain Victrix could do better.

Shame if they're going to do more Vikings etc, although I'm sure they'll be better than what's on offer in plastic at the moment.
If it was me, I'd start at the early end of the period - nobody does Arthurian / Picts / Irish / Early Saxons etc from the post-Roman invasion era in plastic (apart from the somewhat unlovely GB Late Romans I suppose, which could be pressed into service as Romano-British infantry). That would seem to be a quite popular niche Victrix could do well in. They've done Republican Romans and recently their superb Imperial Romans. It would be logical to move onto Late Romans and then the C5th and C6th centuries. Franks, Carolingians, Avars, et al. More late period Vikings and Saxons would be slightly disappointing in some ways. But it will be fascinating to see  :)

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2018, 10:38:37 AM »
Captain Blood has summed up so accurately my own feelings that I have nothing else to say but agree with him wholeheartedly.

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2018, 11:05:22 AM »
I would like to add my voice to this.
Yes - I think Victrix will do a very good job of dark ages.

And yes - please don's do 1066 Vikings, Saxons and Normans first.

I would love to have some nice earlier Saxon, Carolingian & Lombard infantry and cavalry, which would get double service as LOTR by the book, Rohan etc.

Mick

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2018, 11:08:22 AM »
Its later Dark Ages guys, with earlier stuff maybe coming in the future. But I'd think that'd be quite some time in the future considering there's going to be later Dark Age stuff, then Ancient Germans and Dacians, more Napoleonics to come first, that's quite a workload to get through.

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2018, 11:11:48 AM »
What I would say is that if everyone on here messaged Victrix to request Early Dark Age, then the chances of them one day doing them, and sooner than later, is greatly increased surely, if they know how strongly the demand is.

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2018, 11:56:20 AM »
Shame if they're going to do more Vikings etc, although I'm sure they'll be better than what's on offer in plastic at the moment.
If it was me, I'd start at the early end of the period - nobody does Arthurian / Picts / Irish / Early Saxons etc from the post-Roman invasion era in plastic (apart from the somewhat unlovely GB Late Romans I suppose, which could be pressed into service as Romano-British infantry). That would seem to be a quite popular niche Victrix could do well in. They've done Republican Romans and recently their superb Imperial Romans. It would be logical to move onto Late Romans and then the C5th and C6th centuries. Franks, Carolingians, Avars, et al. More late period Vikings and Saxons would be slightly disappointing in some ways. But it will be fascinating to see  :)

I would be happy with early or late Dark Ages. Maybe something more in the middle like the Charlemagne wars. I woudn't mind a couple of boxes of Franks, Slavs, Avars and Moors. :-D

Anyway I am just happy they are doing Dark Ages. It really doesn't matter if 6th or 11th century. I am just happy we will see plastic set for the early middel ages / dark ages not done by Bbob Naismith. ;-)

Offline katie

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2018, 01:28:14 PM »
Light archers. Light archers and light horse. Please.

Forces we'd like a lot of and which no-one seems to want to do properly.

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2018, 02:42:34 PM »

This doesn't excite me personally.  Although, I was wondering whether I could combine heads and shields from the Gripping Beast dark age warriors with the bodies from the Victrix Gauls to make some decent looking Goths.

The Victrix Gauls bodies with different heads would also make Marcomanni from the column of Marcus Aurelius I imagine - not sure what kind of shields those guys should have though.

Offline Corso

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2018, 03:21:55 PM »
Very good news - Victrix make very good plastic kits.

Personally, I would like Moors, but I believe Saxons and other 'european' warriors would sell more so it would make sense they would start with them.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2018, 03:57:47 PM »
It would be so good to get some decent plastics for lightly armed Dark Ages troops. Yes, there are some already available, but they are pretty mediocre compared to the Victrix stuff. I don't really mind which era as long as they are well sculpted.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2018, 04:44:34 PM »
I am loving the Victrix stuff lately. The Naps are great but are very heavy in components. My Numidians project seems to be the perfect balance of variety and simple build. And the sculpting is superb.
Very little clean up, a night to build and sometimes I’m priming the same night. If not the next morning.

If they do Dark Ages I’m in trouble...
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline El Grego

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
    • The Pewter-Pixel Wars
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2018, 04:54:12 PM »
Dark Ages figures sound excellent, especially as I am just starting up with Footsore, but I really hope that the next project after this is Persians (as mentioned in the FB post).

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2018, 04:10:56 AM »
The only Victrix set I have is the Carthagenian Citizen Infantry. The proportions and sculpting is superb but there is not a lot of variety in components; possibly less than Gripping Beast Dark Ages Warriors. It will be interesting if they opt for more variety with the Dark Ages sets.

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2018, 06:58:53 AM »
I dont mind if they make a better version of whats already on the market, but exploring factions/time periods that havent been coveret in plastics would be ideal.

Now, if they would switch from bags to boxes too...