Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:05:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686636
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Victrix Dark Ages anyone??  (Read 70331 times)

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
Re: Victrix Dark Ages anyone??
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2018, 09:55:46 AM »
Totally agree with that.

I really don't agree with that though ;)

Shame if they're going to do more Vikings etc, although I'm sure they'll be better than what's on offer in plastic at the moment.
If it was me, I'd start at the early end of the period - nobody does Arthurian / Picts / Irish / Early Saxons etc from the post-Roman invasion era in plastic (apart from the somewhat unlovely GB Late Romans I suppose, which could be pressed into service as Romano-British infantry). That would seem to be a quite popular niche Victrix could do well in. They've done Republican Romans and recently their superb Imperial Romans. It would be logical to move onto Late Romans and then the C5th and C6th centuries. Franks, Carolingians, Avars, et al. More late period Vikings and Saxons would be slightly disappointing in some ways. But it will be fascinating to see  :)

Absolutely agree! I can at least name 10 companies all making 'Viking' figures, and lets' be fair and saying that a Late Saxon or Anglo Danish figure isn't all that different. Normans, while certainly fascinating, are also a bit 'boring' and like the Vikings available from umpteen manufacturers . But indeed,  everyone seems to shy away from Later  (Gallo) Romans or Franks, Merovingians (or the slightly later Carolingians)  Frisians, Huns, Avars, Burgundians etc. while that is one of the most fascinating periods ever with an enormous potential in figures. And then I haven't even touched on what is called 'the Celtic Fringe'

And while we are walking backward in time- and I know this will probably never happen- how about a generic set of Northern European Bronze age figures to complement that wonderful but alas limited, Foundry range? A good mix of warriors and light troops. Perhaps even some chariots in a separate box?  Put me down for 5-6 boxes. Cuchullain here I come! :)

Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2018, 10:37:31 AM »
Absolutely agree! I can at least name 10 companies all making 'Viking' figures, and lets' be fair and saying that a Late Saxon or Anglo Danish figure isn't all that different. Normans, while certainly fascinating, are also a bit 'boring' and like the Vikings available from umpteen manufacturers . But indeed,  everyone seems to shy away from Later  (Gallo) Romans or Franks, Merovingians (or the slightly later Carolingians)  Frisians, Huns, Avars, Burgundians etc. while that is one of the most fascinating periods ever with an enormous potential in figures. And then I haven't even touched on what is called 'the Celtic Fringe'

And while we are walking backward in time- and I know this will probably never happen- how about a generic set of Northern European Bronze age figures to complement that wonderful but alas limited, Foundry range? A good mix of warriors and light troops. Perhaps even some chariots in a separate box?  Put me down for 5-6 boxes. Cuchullain here I come! :)

Yes, but Victrix will want to make money from their investment, and as much as we would like to see less popular ranges available in Victrix excellent plastics, we must accept the harsh fact that Vikings, Normans or Anglo-Saxons/Danes are more popular and will, possibly, sell better.

Myself? I have my Vikings and Anglo-Saxons almost done, and for Normans I intend to use Footsore's. They are sculpted by Paul Hicks and what it has been shown appeals to my sense of taste. However, those are warbands for Saga. Maybe in the future I will decide to take the leap and use them as core for a bigger project, probably using To the Strongest. In that case, Victrix plastics will come handy.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2018, 11:49:04 AM »
With Vikings, Anglo-Saxons & Normans, how far away is 'market saturation'? Victrix are somewhat late to the Dark Ages party and going earlier to break new ground might be a better option.

There is a multitude out there who don't even know they want to game 'Early Dark Ages' yet. The availability of pretty figures can drive period interest for a lot of folk; myself included.

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2018, 01:53:01 PM »
Despite the fact that I've already pretty much finished my Merovingian Franks (ca. 450-550) I'd love to see new, up to date models for them. I'd probably pick up a box just to supplement what I have or even just for the heads, as my sculpting skills are still a little weak.

I'd much rather see early dark age stuff rather than Viking period stuff, which have just saturated the market. However, I'm not really a fan of Gripping Beast's plastics and I'm sure that Victrix plastics for the period would be much more to my taste.

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2018, 04:42:18 PM »
@Cram, you relentlessly emailed Vixtrix about a (Late) Dark Ages sets? Any idea what it will be? ;)

I saw on facebook that they were talking about 3-4 sets?

If so I think it could be Normans.

* 1 set archers / crossbowmen
* 1 set light armoured infantry
* 1 set Heavly armoured infantry / dismounted knights
* 1 set cavalry

If so , I hope it fits scale wise V&V miniatures. Imo they have the best Vikings, Saxons and Normans.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 04:44:15 PM by Tonhel »

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2018, 05:20:43 PM »
I wouldn't expect just a single faction, given that they intend to move (back) to other ranges afterwards. Granted, the Greeks and Macedonians are still waiting for their Persian opponents, but at least they have a habit of fighting each other and themselves.

Despite my earlier voiced hopes, I do expect a revisitation of things already done in plastic (in which case I hope Normans are included, as the Conquest ones are less to my taste than the armoured Saxons/Vikings by GB). A Hastings range perhaps, with Norman knights, Norman infantry with plenty of missile troops and two boxes of Anglo-Saxon infantry - elites and commoners? Add some Saracens to the range and the Normans can double as Crusaders too. The later Anglo-Saxons would be sufficiently different from GB to avoid needless repetition (longer chainmail, different helmets and plenty of big axes), decent plastic archers haven't really been done yet and more unarmoured infantry is always welcome for so many projects.

Perhaps it isn't so bad after all. Even if I'd prefer plastic Irish. Which could also fight the Normans a bit later...
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2018, 06:56:31 PM »
I know the dividing lines between periods are supremely fuzzy, but somehow I never think of Normans and Anglo-Danes of 1066 as ‘Dark Ages’. They’re pretty much the start of the Medieval period aren’t they?
When most wargamers (and wargames companies like Victrix?) say Dark Ages, I think they’re generally talking about the period 500 - 1000 ish. Which makes me think Normans are an unlikely candidate for a ‘Dark Ages’ range. But heck, it’s all idle speculation - fun as it is :)

Plastic Picts / Irish would be brilliant and highly useful and versatile for kitbashing ventures of all sorts. One can but dream...

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2018, 07:14:58 PM »
Hi Tonhel.

Victrix posted upon March the 10th that they will be releasing Celtic chariots soon and then: 'Victrix will then take a break from Ancients as we will then commence work on a new Dark Age range. For those who want Ancient Germans, Persian, Dacians fear naught as we will be returning to both Ancients and Napoleonics at a later stage'.

On hearing that I posted the news to this forum. Whilst also responding to Victrix post thus: 'All very good news!! As someone very keen on Dark Ages I'm very interested to know more!! Going to be looking at the usual three I imagine: Saxons, Vikings and Normans, but will you be going a step further and release Scots and Welsh?? Both of which are sadly very much neglected' Another poster commented 'Late Romans would be awesome. To be honest I think late Dark Ages with Vikings, Saxons ect. would be a bit lame'.  His comment was met with the response the he will be disappointed then, at least for the time being.

So its 'later' Dark Age for now then, but they haven't answered what exactly!

People are still commenting that they would like Vandals, Huns, Carolinian Franks and Late Romans though.

I've not actually emailed them to ask what we can expect, just transfered what I've read on the Facebook page to here.

Maybe I should prod them with an email!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 07:17:22 PM by cram »

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2018, 07:24:48 PM »
Ok! I've sent them an actual email asking what we can actually expect from them. Hopefully I will get a reply with some details, as things are rather vague right now.

Offline bluechi

• Librarian
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2018, 08:02:21 PM »
Miss the alemannen in the list or langobarden.

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2018, 10:01:36 PM »

If I were in the figure making business I would NEVER tell me what I was going to do next  ;)

Offline Byrthnoth

• Bookworm
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2018, 01:03:20 AM »
Victrix have never shied away from making plastic sets for periods/armies just because there were already sets from other manufacturers, so I won’t be too surprised if their first ‘dark ages’ kits are the standard Normans, Vikings and Saxons. In my opinion what’s currently on the market for the period in plastic ranges from ‘barely passable’ to ‘ok, fine, I guess’, so I’m pretty sure victrix will top what I can buy now.

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2018, 10:41:36 AM »
I am very interested in this. I would like them to do a somewhat generic dark age warrior box. In this period all armies were more or les equally equipped. I would really like to have lots of unarmoured warriors with a spear, helmet and shield.

Curently there is the GB dark age warriors but they to get a bit dull. Because there is only so much you can do with only one arm and the head interchangeable.

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2018, 06:07:35 PM »
Had my reply of Victrix earlier today. They are keeping details under wraps for now.

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2018, 07:11:32 PM »
Had my reply of Victrix earlier today. They are keeping details under wraps for now.

Thank you for the update? Did they mention a possible ETA?