Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:30:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686473
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Victrix Dark Ages anyone??  (Read 70289 times)

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
Re: Victrix Dark Ages anyone??
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2018, 07:51:22 PM »
No. But then I didn't ask, should have done  ::)  I know that they still have a few sets of ancients to finish off, running up to June/July which is when they have mentioned releasing Republican Roman Cavalry. I assume after that they will properly focus on Dark Ages stuff, I'd hope we will see some work in development at the very least before the summer is out! Time will tell I guess.

Offline Iceaxe

• Bookworm
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2018, 10:31:52 PM »
Under wraps? I just read their advert in WSS & it says in black on red, Normans, Saxons & Vikings. The date is a bit broader in just being 2018, along with everything else.

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2018, 10:46:09 PM »
Really!! That's curious, wonder why they didn't disclose that when I emailed them  ???  ???

Well if that's the case its what I expected, when you looking at the 'late' Dark Age it always is those three, maybe Irish too if your lucky, seems manufacturers then tend have a bit of an aversion to extending the range to encompass other peoples, sadly.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 10:48:17 PM by cram »

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2018, 10:50:48 PM »

Victrix plastic Napoleonic have a "short legs, long torso" problem IMHO… From what I saw of their Ancient offering, the problem seems to be resolved. Let’s hope their Dark Ages figures won’t have the same issues as their Napoleonic figures :?
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2018, 05:13:13 AM »
So, what we expected, then. And with a release date for end of the year, at the earliest. Possibly, even early 2019. That means that we won't see any Ancient German nor Persian until late 2019 or early 2020 -which is good for me, as I need the time to paint the Romans and Macedonians I already have!-

Offline Ninefingers

• Scientist
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2018, 07:02:44 AM »
Ergh, more Saxons/Vikings/Normans. I know that Victrix make nice figures but come on, be brave...

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2018, 09:39:41 AM »
Victrix plastic Napoleonic have a "short legs, long torso" problem IMHO… From what I saw of their Ancient offering, the problem seems to be resolved. Let’s hope their Dark Ages figures won’t have the same issues as their Napoleonic figures :?

Napoleonics were the first plastic figures that Victrix released, back in the day. It took quite a while until they got their first Ancients (the Greek sets) out.

I must admit that I have never bought any Victrix figures, but if they are going to do Normans I could be interested - I still haven't managed to convince myself to by the Conquest versions (the infantry sets seems rather limited when it comes to variety).

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2018, 10:28:57 AM »
OK, so we're basically looking at upgrades instead of news. Could be worse, we might finally get some decent dark ages plastic archers :)

Offline cdm

• Scientist
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2018, 11:20:49 AM »
Based on this old Oct 2017 FB post

The following sets are either at the design stage or awaiting a design brief:
Republican Roman Cavalry
Celtic War Chariot plus armoured warriors & personality figures
EIR war machines and archers
2/3 sets of ancient cavalry, details to follow
3/4 sets of Dark Age Warriors, details to be announced later
2 sets of 28mm WWII, details to follow
2 new Napoleonic sets, details to follow

The Dark Age release looks limited in intent from the start. No doubt parts from the gaul sets and others could be interchanged a little, I will use them as such anyway plus the chariots as wild warrior support for a Mordred army. I never bought into the other plastic manufacturers for this period, so I am sure I will get into the norman/armoured warrior sets with some excited glee to add to my existing armies.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2018, 01:29:44 PM »
Might finally get those Saxon and Norman armies I wanted but could never find decent figures. I'm happy with this news, even if others want more adventure.

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2018, 03:16:41 PM »
Napoleonics were the first plastic figures that Victrix released, back in the day. It took quite a while until they got their first Ancients (the Greek sets) out.

I must admit that I have never bought any Victrix figures, but if they are going to do Normans I could be interested - I still haven't managed to convince myself to by the Conquest versions (the infantry sets seems rather limited when it comes to variety).

If I remember correctly those first sets were also traditional sculpted. Now they only sculpt digital.

---

I wouldn't have mind something else than Norman, Saxons and Vikings, but now I will have finally a very nice and consistent Saxon/Norman/Viking range in plastic.. I am not a huge fan of the other plastic Dark Ages offerings.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2018, 03:38:25 PM »
I could honestly go for Anglo-Saxons and Normans if there were Welsh to pit them against. I somehow imagine that it won't be a decision I'll have to wrestle with though somehow; it'll be bloody Vikings as usual.

::)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2018, 06:05:34 PM »
I have my hopes up for Norman cavalry.

I cannot bring myself to buy the Conquest set, although I have been wanting to do a Norman warband for SAGA ever since I bought the first edition of the rules, but a nice set of plastic Norman 'knights' would probably bring my mojo back almost instantly.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2018, 06:18:38 PM »
Arlequin if its of any interest I know Footsore have plans to do Welsh soon, Paul Hicks will be sculpting them. They'll be metal though obviously, and they probably going to be early rather than later, with maybe characters for early and late. Hopefully they will go for helmet and other armour styles that fit in comfortably with both early and late. For me the GB ones are far to Roman influenced to be used for later, and I'm not to keen on those sculpts anyway!

Still scratching my head over Victrix being so tight lipped with me in their email, and on the Facebook page for that matter about what they planned to release for the Dark Ages, when they were actually advertising details in a mag!

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2018, 10:19:04 PM »
I prefer plastics for their versatility, but I'm very much a Paul Hicks fan-boy too, so good news and thanks!  :)