Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:18:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690526
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Victrix Dark Ages anyone??  (Read 70844 times)

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
Re: Victrix Dark Ages anyone??
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2018, 03:17:01 AM »
Well I'm clearly in the minority in that I like that armored GB Vikings & Saxons pretty well, and like the Conquest Norman range too, so my main interest in any Victrix sets is the possibility of Norman light cavalry, Norman heavy infantry, and Norman crossbowmen. I'm also not too big a fan of the GB unarmored warriors, mainly because of the very limited range of poses. Hopefully Victrix will release some more dynamic unarmored warriors.

Beyond personal preference, though, I would in general also like to see them tackle a subject that's not currently represented in plastic. Scots, Irish, and Welsh all spring to mind as sorely lacking without converting, and I'd love plastic sets that cover any of those. With Ancients they did branch out into some previously unrepresented nationalities and troop types, so maybe further on down the road they'll expand into some of those areas.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 03:28:26 AM by Whitwort Stormbringer »

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2018, 08:18:54 PM »
This may have already been mentioned but their advert on the inside cover of WSS shows their release schedule for 2018 and states that they will be making Dark Age Vikings, Saxons and Normans in that order.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for any others this year.

Offline Wookington

• Assistant
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2018, 01:34:39 PM »
I'm sure they will be lovely, but it does feel like Vikings and Normans have been well and truly done in both plastic and metal.  What is a shame is I think there are so many other possibilities that don't get done or done nearly as much, Byzantines, Franks, Lombards, Spanish, Welsh, Scots, pretty everything in Eastern Europe of the time. 

As I said, I'm sure what Victrix do will be great, but there has to be a point at which diminishing returns kick in regardless of quality of Viking. 

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2018, 02:24:23 PM »
sounds promising . Always liked their Napoleonics
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2018, 07:19:38 PM »
It seems that Victrix at Salute didn't preview their upcoming Dark Ages set? Did someone talked to them at Salute?

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2018, 07:29:13 PM »
It seems that Victrix at Salute didn't preview their upcoming Dark Ages set? Did someone talked to them at Salute?

I don't think they have anything to show, yet, probably still at the planning/designing stage.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2018, 07:58:14 PM »
I don't think they have anything to show, yet, probably still at the planning/designing stage.

Yes, that sounds plausible. Than I think it will be a very late 2018 release.. or more likely a 2019 release.

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2018, 10:06:52 AM »
My understanding is that Victrix is using digital sculpting for their sets these days, so they cannot just pick three-ups from their table and bring them to the show.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2018, 10:43:03 AM »
They could easily provide paper/screen prints of their digital sculpting though, as any kickstarter proves. They probably just have not got very far with it as yet.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2018, 02:35:08 PM »
I overheard a conversation at Salute at the Victrix stall . They said that Vikings Sxaons and Normans are the first releases in the range.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2018, 03:26:49 PM »
I'm sure they will be lovely, but it does feel like Vikings and Normans have been well and truly done in both plastic and metal.  What is a shame is I think there are so many other possibilities that don't get done or done nearly as much, Byzantines, Franks, Lombards, Spanish, Welsh, Scots, pretty everything in Eastern Europe of the time. 

As I said, I'm sure what Victrix do will be great, but there has to be a point at which diminishing returns kick in regardless of quality of Viking.

I think people keep buying Vikings. Yes, they’re insanely overdone. But the others you mentioned maybe only appeal to those who are doing this period, but almost anyone will buy a Viking...
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2018, 03:44:18 PM »
I overheard a conversation at Salute at the Victrix stall . They said that Vikings Saxons and Normans are the first releases in the range.

Norman cavalry by any chance?  o_o

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2018, 04:29:16 PM »
Not this year.   :(    Their list for Dark Ages are Viking, Saxons and Normans in that order.  They are on the end of the queue for 2018.  They are ususally good for release dates but I wouldn't be surprised if the Normans are the very last releases for 2018 or possibly very early 2019.  I wouldn't hold my breath for Norman cavalry this year.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2018, 05:53:16 PM »
I think people keep buying Vikings. Yes, they’re insanely overdone. But the others you mentioned maybe only appeal to those who are doing this period, but almost anyone will buy a Viking...

But they are not overdone in plastics are they? Gripping Beast do a fairly mediocre set and there's the very bad Wargames Foundry stuff that Warlord are now selling. So Victrix offering some decent plastics (assuming they are up to the standard of their Romans) will certainly turn a few heads. Vikings may be insanely overdone, but they have not yet been done well and cheaply. If Victrix can do that, they will gain loads more customers.

Offline Ninefingers

• Scientist
« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2018, 06:20:46 PM »
But they are not overdone in plastics are they? Gripping Beast do a fairly mediocre set and there's the very bad Wargames Foundry stuff that Warlord are now selling. So Victrix offering some decent plastics (assuming they are up to the standard of their Romans) will certainly turn a few heads. Vikings may be insanely overdone, but they have not yet been done well and cheaply. If Victrix can do that, they will gain loads more customers.

Most compelling argument that I've heard...