Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:58:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686494
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Victrix Dark Ages anyone??  (Read 70303 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: Victrix Dark Ages anyone??
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2018, 07:19:11 PM »
...and there's the very bad Wargames Foundry Factory stuff that Warlord are now selling.

I think.  :)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline henryv

• Librarian
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2018, 09:20:17 PM »
I like the the Wargames Factory stuff, The War of the Spanish Succession are fine figures.

Offline Johan

• Scientist
    • http://www.tsoa.be
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2018, 10:23:40 PM »
Julian told me that this range will not be limited to Normans,Vikings and Saxons.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2018, 07:43:35 AM »
I like the the Wargames Factory stuff, The War of the Spanish Succession are fine figures.

That's all well and good, but hardly relevant to a dark ages debate.  ;)

Offline delbruck

• Scientist
« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2018, 12:11:18 PM »
It will be interesting to see what Victrix does with the dark ages. Although Gripping Beast's initial release of Hirdmen and Thegns was pretty good at the time, I have to agree that all their subsequent releases have been mediocre. I regard the Arab, Late Roman, and dark ages warrior boxes as lost opportunities. Apparently, they are willing to spend the money to produce the sprue, but aren't interested in spending money or time in a thoughtful design. Evidence to me is that Victrix does put a lot of effort in the design of their plastic boxes.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 12:13:40 PM by delbruck »

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2018, 05:06:18 PM »
It will be interesting to see what Victrix does with the dark ages. Although Gripping Beast's initial release of Hirdmen and Thegns was pretty good at the time, I have to agree that all their subsequent releases have been mediocre. I regard the Arab, Late Roman, and dark ages warrior boxes as lost opportunities. Apparently, they are willing to spend the money to produce the sprue, but aren't interested in spending money or time in a thoughtful design. Evidence to me is that Victrix does put a lot of effort in the design of their plastic boxes.
GB's Arab cavalry sets are really rather fantastic in terms of bits and poseability, but somehow always get overlooked in this discussion. Downhill from there though. Victrix has a fair number of lesser episoses, like the four sets of Greek armoured hoplites which share 90% of their contents, or the later phalangites/hypaspists that are severely lacking in options, or the new Greek light cav reusing the non-mixable heavy cav horses, but at least the sculpt quality seems to improve generally.

(Just a bit of perspective as I'm getting rather tired of the usual black-and-white picture repeated so often. The only company truly exemplary in all ways is Perry Miniatures as far as I'm concerned, they really keep knocking 'em out of the park.)
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline TheABG

• Student
« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2018, 03:04:45 AM »
Thinking ahead, how will Victrix scale up with Footsore and Colin Patten sculpts I wonder?

I think Footsore and Patten go well together and own both, so I'm hoping Victrix will fit in fine.

Yep, I'm in the same boat. I've got a warband of Patten/Saxon  Normans and I'd like to expand on that but I can't bring myself to accept Conquest as a viable option.

How do the Victrix minis scale in general?

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2018, 05:28:22 AM »
  Yep, I'm in the same boat. I've got a warband of Patten/Saxon  Normans and I'd like to expand on that but I can't bring myself to accept Conquest as a viable option.

How do the Victrix minis scale in general?

I have their Macedonians. Compared with Warlords and Aventine Macedonians, they are big 28s.

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2018, 11:19:29 AM »
I have their Macedonians. Compared with Warlords and Aventine Macedonians, they are big 28s.
Compared to Warlord Games metal or plastic Macedonians? I only have the Victrix plastic Greek hoplites, but those mix in very well with Warlord's plastic Macedonians.
I have only built figures from their ancient Greek line (armoured/unarmoured hoplites, skirmishers w javelins/slings/bows) which are all from the same range and period of production, so I don't know how they might vary. (With digital sculpts I'd imagine they're pretty consistent.)

They're slightly less bulky than the Warlord figures though, and also mix in rather well with Perry Agincourt plastics to give another comparision (though again, I can speak only for the aforementioned Greeks.)

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2018, 12:53:53 PM »
Compared to Warlord Games metal or plastic Macedonians? I only have the Victrix plastic Greek hoplites, but those mix in very well with Warlord's plastic Macedonians.
I have only built figures from their ancient Greek line (armoured/unarmoured hoplites, skirmishers w javelins/slings/bows) which are all from the same range and period of production, so I don't know how they might vary. (With digital sculpts I'd imagine they're pretty consistent.)

They're slightly less bulky than the Warlord figures though, and also mix in rather well with Perry Agincourt plastics to give another comparision (though again, I can speak only for the aforementioned Greeks.)

Plastics. Put them together and you will notice, but from a distance is barely noticeable. I wouldn't mix them in the same unit, but in different units it is not a problem.

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2018, 12:00:32 AM »

This is why companies don’t have to bother with getting their plastic sets spot on...

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2018, 12:09:02 AM »
I hope they do a great set of Irish/Welsh/Scots....
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2018, 07:58:57 AM »
Wouldn't that be something!! I want be holding my breath though.

When it comes to the later Dark Ages manufacturers shy away from any armies other than Viking, Saxon and Norman. It gets a bit boring after a while. Once Victrix release theirs the markets going to be pretty saturated. I'll get a box or two of the Victrix releases, but that will be me done with collecting Late Dark Ages until someone brings out figures for a different army of the period.

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2018, 09:29:14 AM »
While I don't hate the GB plastic Vikings, I'd be interested to see another companies take on the subject if I offered something different. I would like to see some later Vikings and Saxons- actually they could combine them and have generic Anglo Danes, I guess. Again I don't hate the Conquest Normans but i agree they could be done better.
What is really like are some good plastic Anglo Norman infantry from somebody for the Anarchy and beyond...

Offline Bishop Cockthrottle

• Bookworm
« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2018, 11:28:34 AM »
I always want to see decent generic figures that can be used as dollies for further work. Man in mid-length, long-sleeved tunic, trousers and buskins in active but not extreme poses. Foot and mounted (especially the latter).