Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:41:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686474
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Victrix Dark Ages anyone??  (Read 70291 times)

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
Re: Victrix Dark Ages anyone??
« Reply #135 on: June 04, 2018, 12:20:13 PM »
Rus, why? I don't see any baggy trousers, here.  :?

It's madness.

Offline cdm

• Scientist
« Reply #136 on: August 08, 2018, 10:29:56 AM »
I haven't really bothered to try and keep this topic updated with news as they drip feed a render every few weeks or more on facebook, and then fluff it out further with hand drawn sketches of what they think they'll make, but what is of interest is that they give a nominal release date for the viking set for early 2019. When they do eventually get a good set of renders together I'll drag them over to keep the topic updated. The release pace of renders feels glacial to me, but I'm not in the biz or even following plastic releases in general all that closely, so maybe it is really fast in comparison to everyone else. I will say though in case it seems I'm being negative, the renders they are releasing are indicative of a very good final product at release.

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #137 on: August 08, 2018, 04:18:10 PM »
Thanks for the reminder, I hadn't checked in with the progress for some time. The few finished figures certainly look promising, with poses that work well for swords, axes, spears and some two-handed axes too of course. A fair amount of variation in helmets and a lot of properly hairy heads. Sadly, they have continued with the same chainmail design they used previously; horizontally a row of holes, overlapping vertically. If ever decent chainmail should be possible, I had hoped it would be in digital sculpts, especially for a chainmail-heavy period like the dark ages. They'll look great from a distance, but just wrong up close.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Siegfried

• Assistant
« Reply #138 on: August 10, 2018, 10:59:24 PM »
Thanks for the reminder, I hadn't checked in with the progress for some time. The few finished figures certainly look promising, with poses that work well for swords, axes, spears and some two-handed axes too of course. A fair amount of variation in helmets and a lot of properly hairy heads. Sadly, they have continued with the same chainmail design they used previously; horizontally a row of holes, overlapping vertically. If ever decent chainmail should be possible, I had hoped it would be in digital sculpts, especially for a chainmail-heavy period like the dark ages. They'll look great from a distance but just wrong up close.

I agree, but just out of curiosity, what do you think the best digitally-sculpted chainmail would look like? So far, the best-sculpted chainmail I've seen is found in Tom Meier's superb sculpts for Dark Sword Miniatures. I really hope that in the near future some talented sculptor will make plastic figures in that style. Cheers!

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #139 on: August 11, 2018, 08:56:43 AM »
Some poor wording on my part there, by no means did I mean to say decent chainmail would be achievable only digitally. In fact, the best sculpted chainmail I know of is indeed made through traditional sculpting - the first names springing to mind also being Meier and the Perry Twins. The former is simply unsurpassed, as good as it gets while being castable, combining the right pattern (CCCCC and reverse) with the smallest size I've seen so far. A similar level of detail is possibly not doable in plastic, but the Perry plastics probably showcase the best possible result there - similar idea, albeit with larger links.

What I mainly meant to say, was that most plastic sets prominently featuring chainmail are so often let down by the quality of that sculpted chainmail. Fireforge's Scandinavians, Conquest's Knights, Victrix' Romans. Warlord's Caesarians Romans are okay I think, while Gripping Beast's Vikings seem alright, but some of the sleeves are off with seemingly links of different sizes. (None of the Perry sets have a lot of chainmail - still hoping they'll one day create plastics for their Crusader range though!)
Anyway, as sculpting chainmail is quite a pain, I imagine (and imagine it is - I don't have a clue how digital sculpting works) it would be possible to somewhat copy the patterns in the digital medium, thus having much more consistent results while being a lot less effort to produce. In other words, my previous message should more accurately have read: if ever it could be relatively easy to mass-produce good looking chainmail, I had imagined to see it in digital sculpts. And given the prominence of chainmail in this period, I'm sad to both not see it, and as such won't expect to see it for the other upcoming boxes in the range either. (And with that, am still hoping for Perry plastic Crusaders/Saracens. I'd get two extra jobs to purchase an enormous amount of those, then retire early and do nothing but work with those kits. Well, one can dream...)

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #140 on: August 11, 2018, 03:17:27 PM »
I dont know anything about digital sculpting, but im intrigued to know more in the future. But what i know is that chainmail is a major pain in the A even in digital painting where you can have a brush made of cccccc and reverse. Its crazy work and most of all boring as hell, thats why many people cheat with photo textures.

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
« Reply #141 on: August 15, 2018, 09:25:33 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/victrixlimited/posts/1331084993694058

A further quick update:

The 3rd armoured viking figures is now finished and the final 4th figure is underway...

And some more pictures at:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/victrixlimited/photos/?ref=page_internal

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #142 on: August 15, 2018, 10:14:25 AM »
These are really tempting  :)

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #143 on: October 10, 2018, 06:50:28 PM »
These look much better than the gripping beast ones, which sat unloved and unused in my cupboard for about 5 years before being binned.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #144 on: October 11, 2018, 06:36:20 AM »
Looking fabulous.

The only thing that bothers me is that the helmets look a bit too big and top heavy. A bit too dome-like and not quite as pointy as they should be...

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #145 on: October 11, 2018, 09:12:04 AM »
Maybe they need to be so they can tuck their long hair into them... if they had long hair that is.  ;)

The way the neck joins the body looks 'off', as well as the helmet. Otherwise they look reall good.  :)

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #146 on: October 11, 2018, 10:00:41 AM »
A must have for me. The necks do look a bit long, but it might not be as pronounced once they are plastic (and if it is, easy to fix with a knife or file).

These are just so much better than most other stuff on the market - in my eyes. Cannot wait. They have also posted pictures of the Saxons concepts on their facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/victrixlimited/

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #147 on: October 11, 2018, 10:51:09 AM »
These are looking really good  8) 8)

Offline Siegfried

• Assistant
« Reply #148 on: October 11, 2018, 06:59:46 PM »
Here are some of the latest sketches for the new Saxon figures from Victrix. Enjoy!

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #149 on: October 12, 2018, 07:07:04 AM »
the sketches look amazing
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com