Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:55:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690318
  • Total Topics: 118325
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Victrix Dark Ages anyone??  (Read 70806 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: Victrix Dark Ages anyone??
« Reply #165 on: October 16, 2018, 01:46:25 PM »
I thought so - there seems to be two 'schools' of interpreting archaeological evidence and/or the lack of it. One where the lack of findings indicate that it can not have existed - I have heard a Swedish archaeologist state that Vikings rarely used helmets, based on the few findings, and I think that is completely bonkers, equivalent to stating that most Roman Legionnaires fought without armour because only a few sets of armour having survived (I know there is other indications of Legionnaire armour, but imagine there wasn't); iron rusts and disappears, and lots of armour, helmets and weapons may have been altered and/or reforged down through the ages - and then there's the one that involves a lot of guessing, extrapolating, and experimental archaeology.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #166 on: October 17, 2018, 05:42:52 AM »
After a shield, headgear is the next most crucial protective item... unless of course Dark Age warriors went into battle shouting "not the head, not the head".

;)

Even if metal was hard to come by, or those skilled in working it few and far between, even the shoddiest non-metallic materials would be preferable to nothing at all.

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #167 on: October 18, 2018, 10:53:18 PM »
All looking very exciting!

Plenty to look forward to in the future with an Arthurian range planned, and I'm pretty sure  I was told in conversation a while back that Late Roman and Arabs are also in the pipeline!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #168 on: October 19, 2018, 04:02:19 AM »
All looking very exciting!

Plenty to look forward to in the future with an Arthurian range planned, and I'm pretty sure  I was told in conversation a while back that Late Roman and Arabs are also in the pipeline!

I've got so many Sub Roman and Early Medieval miniatures the very thought of their being cheap quality plastics out there has me worried!!  lol

Seriously though, they look great and if the final product matched th mock ups they will be quality  8).

Darrell

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #169 on: December 22, 2018, 11:20:45 AM »

Magnificent! I love it!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #170 on: December 22, 2018, 01:16:55 PM »
I love much about these. But there’s something about the round helmet and the coifs that really doesn’t look right. I’ve thought the same thing through all the preview pics of the renders so far.

Let’s hope the finished product is better. They did an outstanding job with the EIR helmets,so I can’t see why they wouldn’t be able to get these much simpler Dark Ages helmets right. But at the moment, far too many of them look too pot-like and top heavy...  :?

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #171 on: December 22, 2018, 02:07:53 PM »
they look good.

but so many modern sculpts continue to have the 'short legs' syndrome (to my eye anyway) ? Bit squat (and often v. squat!).

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #172 on: December 22, 2018, 04:07:40 PM »
They'd look great in dark medieval Fantasy settings, as some guardians of an evil baron or so. But on those the heads + headgear are a tad big and The nasal helmet looks late Dark Age and the Spangenhelm a missmatch of styles, periods and size. But we'll see what the finished product will look like...
Leadhead

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #173 on: December 22, 2018, 04:44:44 PM »
Captain Blood you make a good point about the helmets. I do really like these though and I'll be adding a box or two of each set to my armies.

Once Victrix have released their Anlgo Saxons, Vikings and Normans the markets going to be pretty saturated with these three and I hope manufacturers will start focusing on figures for other Late Dark Age armies.

I'm lucky enough to have a fairly big wargames table but once I've added Vicrtrix's offerings to my armies they will be as big as I can make them, without them starting to crowd the table. So regardless of future releases for these 'usual three' Later Dark Age armies Victrix's will be my last purchases. I'll live in hope that a manufacturer produces Scots and Welsh, so I can work on these armies one day. Until then I think I'll look at Late Roman and 'Arthurian'.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 10:06:37 AM by cram »

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #174 on: December 22, 2018, 06:20:26 PM »
I think that helmet / coif thing will not be noticable when it's a transformed in an actual 28mm mini.

What I was told at Crisis was that when the first three ranges sell well. They will expand to Pagan Rus, Picts and etc.. .

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #175 on: December 22, 2018, 10:47:43 PM »
But when do we see mounted milites....?  :'(

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #176 on: December 23, 2018, 11:12:25 PM »
I just really like these. It looks so much better than most other miniatures out there... especially compared to other plastic kits.

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #177 on: January 09, 2019, 10:51:29 PM »
News from Victrix. These are going to be the viking sprues

The command sprue is likely to follow next month.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #178 on: January 10, 2019, 03:47:17 AM »
A great variety of head- the sprue looks excellent. Judging by the bodies, you might even be able to mix up the arm options a bit with pieces from other kits.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #179 on: January 10, 2019, 06:38:56 AM »
looking really good indeed
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com