Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:05:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686443
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Victrix Dark Ages anyone??  (Read 70284 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Victrix Dark Ages anyone??
« Reply #240 on: September 21, 2019, 09:43:16 AM »
It seems that in the future there is a possibilty that Victrix would do early HYW. So than we can compare a little bit better. ;-)

Yeah, I read that on their forum shortly after expressing an interest in Stirling Bridge/Bannockburn era mini's. Their armours would be different from an Early HYW range though.

I would welcome either with a broad grin though  :D 8)

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #241 on: September 21, 2019, 10:53:19 AM »
I must say that what I really, really, really would like is a comprehensive range of Islam and Turkish warriors for the Crusades and the wars in the Iberian Peninsula. I know. It is not Dark Ages, but those (and Carolingians!) would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #242 on: September 23, 2019, 05:31:22 PM »
The second render of an unarmoured Norman is ready. Also shown is a sketch of the third one!

They Look great! I am slowly painting their vikings and they are such a joy to paint!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #243 on: September 23, 2019, 05:47:15 PM »
These do look great. Interesting that they have eschewed the stereotypical Norman kite shield so far (flat, not convex, and with a round top... )

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #244 on: September 23, 2019, 06:13:38 PM »
These do look great. Interesting that they have eschewed the stereotypical Norman kite shield so far (flat, not convex, and with a round top... )

Convex shields were a great deal stronger then the flatter versions and could withstand impact and slashes by various weapons which would shatter a flat shield despite how well the hide was applied. Thus any warrior worth his salt would have several good solid (convex) shields; several as in they were known to break/shatter and be disposable kit.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #245 on: September 23, 2019, 09:57:42 PM »
I’m sure that’s right Darrell. I’m just used to 40 odd years of Norman wargames figures with flat, Bayeaux tapestry style ‘classic’ Norman kite shields  ;)
Hopefully they’ll include a few, just for old times sake.
 :D

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #246 on: September 24, 2019, 08:24:34 AM »
I’m sure that’s right Darrell. I’m just used to 40 odd years of Norman wargames figures with flat, Bayeaux tapestry style ‘classic’ Norman kite shields  ;)
Hopefully they’ll include a few, just for old times sake.
 :D

Yeah, you're right, it's the visual impact that matters on the tabletop :)

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #247 on: September 24, 2019, 03:43:09 PM »
Those are fantastic. Agree about the shields, but greatly appreciate that they are more accurate. The dynamic poses are just fantastic though, which will set them apart from all the other plastic historicals imo...

But honestly, I won't buy these until I see the promise of cavalry. What would I do with a lonely unit of spears? And how could I mix these with those Conquest Norman Cavalry?!? Just kidding, I like the Conquest cavalry, but I'm not sure they're enough to entice me to start a Norma project.

Thanks
n

Online westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #248 on: September 24, 2019, 04:41:17 PM »
The look good! Hope the mail improves a bit for this set...

Online Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #249 on: September 24, 2019, 06:10:32 PM »
Interestingly Gripping Beast have just unveiled their crack at Normans and they’re not a patch on these. Not going to link and muddy the thread with confusing images but they’re across FB at the moment so it won’t take much digging to find for those who are interested.

These look excellent, a significant improvement on the existing plastic ‘dark ages’ ranges. 

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #250 on: September 24, 2019, 06:30:05 PM »
Yeah, I saw the preview of Gripping beast Normans too. I can't say I am impressed.
The guys at Victrix have a very high standerd for what they deem fit to release. Check out this post from Steve (Which I believe is co-owner of Victrix and the owner of Little big men studios:

STEVE LBMS:
Sorry I don't have the time to answer everyone's messages individually but It would take forever with all the subjects that have brought up so far! It is great to see so many enthusiastic Victrix fans.

At present Norman Infantry are being worked on which will be a mixed armoured and unarmoured set like the Vikings and soon to be released Saxons. Norman cavalry will be done and yes we are looking at extra bits to put in these sets to use them as first Crusades, Franks, Bretons, Spanish etc...Archers for Vikings, Saxons Normans and EIR have not been forgotten.

Once the Norman infantry are done we will jump back to the Napoleonic cavalry and then back to the Norman cavalry and then back to hopefully Napoleonic early French dragoons (should make Tim happy!)

The main issue we have is sculpting resources. We have tried a few people and not that they are bad sculptors but it is a different way of working and understanding making figures for injection moulded plastics that a lot of people can't grasp the theory of. Thankfully we found a great new guy in Romania who sculpted the Dacians and who is now working on the Persians.

So if anybody knows of good 3d Digital figure sculptors, preferably in the UK get them to send us some CV'S and images. A knowledge of historical uniforms is also a very useful requirement.

That is a run down of what we are working on over the next 6 to 8 months but with extra capacity we can do more. Projects we are wanting to start alongside these are a Biblical range and Early Hundred Years war but lots of what people have mentioned in their requests is also on out thoughts. There is years worth of work to do so in some cases it is a case of just be patient!

I should add we are working on a 12mm WW2 game and models which will be announced more fully over the weekend.

Right I must get back to transfer orders before my customer lynch me!

This is what their new guy sculpted :-* It's brilliant
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 06:36:28 PM by Tonhel »

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #251 on: September 24, 2019, 06:49:17 PM »
Yeah, I saw the preview of Gripping beast Normans too. I can't say I am impressed...

This is what their new guy sculpted :-* It's brilliant

The Gripping Beast renders look like early stage WIP… Their Viking figures weren’t that bad after all...
As for the renders above, I don’t know, some seems to have wide and low hips... ;)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #252 on: September 24, 2019, 07:06:22 PM »
@Calimero.

I don't really agree. ;) Anyway I will create a topic for the Gripping Beast Normans. So we can discuss it too. ;-)

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #253 on: September 24, 2019, 08:03:58 PM »
Biblical range... I saw it! Biblical range!! I want to weep in joy!

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #254 on: September 24, 2019, 09:55:19 PM »
Cant wait for those Saxons!!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka