Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:33:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: THE LEAD PAINTERS LEAGUE 12 - GENERAL DISCUSSION  (Read 91260 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: THE LEAD PAINTERS LEAGUE 12 - GENERAL DISCUSSION
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2018, 03:46:54 PM »
I entirely understand. Personally I found the LPL quite a hellish strain, which is why I've only ever done it once.  :)

I'm not mad at any individuals (I think you have to be a bit bonkers to enter it at all), just sad that it seems our once-great event is in decline.

The *event* is not in decline, some of it’s members are, at least this one. :)

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2018, 03:57:46 PM »
Ageing demographic?  ;)

I didn't enter this year because I paint mostly fantasy and the themed rounds just didn't mesh, plus it's such a hard slog keeping going for all the weeks.  Good luck to those who have participated.

It could also be in keeping with a general trend, that traditional fora like this are in decline and some of us have migrated to social media? I know a few of the forums that I used to frequent are practically dead these days. LAF is one of the few stalwarts that seems to keep going, potentially the oldies sticking to the old ways and not taking up this new fangled facebook and twitter malarkey. Spoken (half) in jest. I am happy to partake in the old and the new, there's pros and cons to the different formats, but it could well be a trickling away to other platforms?

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2018, 04:10:48 PM »
Just 18 entries this time. 

Some members (including Captain Blood and Admiral Benbow) were intending to give this year a miss, even before the contest was announced.  Maybe the new format isn't liked?  Maybe there is little interest in taking part in general? 

Entry numbers have varied between 26 and 70+ over the years.  It has always been a very small percentage of (7000+) members taking part and voting (sub 400 in LPL11).  All forum "contests" attract only small numbers of participants.  You can't force people to enter.
Same happened in the Build Something Competition earlier this year, which had comparatively few entries.

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2018, 04:47:08 PM »
I was sorely tempted but I’ve not had any time to paint this year as I’ve we’ve just had a baby.
Shame as with several of the big hitters missing I would have had a better chance this time!

Some very nice entries nonetheless.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2018, 05:26:10 PM »
It is, unavoidably, a wee bit disappointing. But then again, well done to the 18 valiant fellows who have entered. There are many seriously nicely painted entries there, and that's worth celebrating :)

Nothing ever stays the same. LAF has changed enormously. Many of the 7000+ members we have here now don't seem quite so interested in the visual aspects of the game - painting figures, modelling, making lovely terrain and scenery. This was very much part of the early LAF ethos. For many people these days the aesthetic stuff is perhaps not so important. Rather it's all about the game, rules, systems, scenarios, etc. Pity, but there it is.

Also, of the many, many people who have had a tilt at the LPL (I'd guess 250 or more different participants down the last 11 years) a lot of people do it once or twice and then decide (as mentioned) it is way too much like hard work - which it is! You have to be very motivated or very competitive (like me!  >:D) to keep on coming back to it. This time, I've had recent cataract surgery, so it was never going to be possible for me this Spring. Also, having 'medalled' a few times, I had already decided it was time to step back a bit from it.
But perhaps next time, I will be unable to resist! :D

Please don't be too downhearted. It's one of those things. I think it will pick up again.
I'm going to focus on enjoying the entries we have got, and wishing good luck in the hunt to all the painters taking part - keep it up lads :)

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2018, 07:35:26 PM »
I really applaud those who do take part in LPL, it does seem to be an awful lot of work, in the painting and the setting up scenes to photograph.

I mainly game in 10mm, so I would have to spend a lot of time painting specific stuff for LPL.

It might help participation if it was made very clear that although it is a competition with weekly rounds, there is no expectation that people are painting their figures each week. It took me a few years to twig onto this. Perhaps a bit of a build up to LPL from Jan through to the start of the comp might help people realise that they may actually have a good number of entries available for the comp, by the time it starts.

There is another barrier to entry and that is the astonishingly high level of painting and presentation displayed in LPL. Its not a great motivator to enter a competition when you have no expectation of winning. I know winning isn't everything, but its nice to think if you pull everything together you have a chance. But having seen the level of entries, I know that isn't remotely likely.

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2018, 08:37:35 PM »
I seem to recall there was quite a long run up either last year or the year before from announcement to start, which I think helps a lot - I'd certainly not be in it if I actually only had a week each time!

The level of skill may well be factor - I'm resigned to coming near the bottom each time, not a problem but I think my entries always suffer from a lack of photography and staging skills. Not that my painting is up there with the best by any means! I do think there have been occasions when I've been beaten by the terrain etc compared to the actual figures though.
On the other hand, the LPL has encouraged me to actually start investing seriously in terrain and scenics!

Not to harp on a previous topic, but maybe the knock-out put potential entrants off? Nearly did for me.

But, maybe it's just a blip this year and next year numbers will be back up. :D Just wish I could paint as well as some of this year's entries though!

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2018, 09:14:54 PM »
... entries always suffer from a lack of photography and staging skills. Not that my painting is up there with the best by any means! I do think there have been occasions when I've been beaten by the terrain etc compared to the actual figures though.

From just having voted on the first round this year, I think photography and staging are hugely important. There are several pair offs where one set of figures is just better lit, and clearer than the other set. This immediately makes them look better.

Staging helps too - some setups look immediately more engaging because of clever or intricate staging.

Both of the above take time. As well as the painting taking time.

Learning the above is a good thing. I've certainly started thinking about how to photograph my figures better since seeing ones on LAF. But generally I can't be bothered to put in that extra effort. Its enough effort to get the figures well lit and photographed.

Offline Maledrakh

• Librarian
    • At the Mountains of Minis
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2018, 10:08:43 PM »
This is the first time I have entered the painting league, I am by no means a great painter nor photographer and certainly do not expect to proceed beyond round 6. But I find this league an excellent motivation to build and paint some miniatures I probably would have left lingering in the mountains of minis indefinately. I like how the "british" and "support" themes are handled, not compulsory but with extra points for entries keeping to the theme.

I fear the round 7 compulsory historic theme might be putting some painters off, especially if they like me do not have any historic minis.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2018, 10:51:00 PM »
It is, unavoidably, a wee bit disappointing. But then again, well done to the 18 valiant fellows who have entered. There are many seriously nicely painted entries there, and that's worth celebrating :)

Nothing ever stays the same. LAF has changed enormously. Many of the 7000+ members we have here now don't seem quite so interested in the visual aspects of the game - painting figures, modelling, making lovely terrain and scenery. This was very much part of the early LAF ethos. For many people these days the aesthetic stuff is perhaps not so important. Rather it's all about the game, rules, systems, scenarios, etc. Pity, but there it is.

Also, of the many, many people who have had a tilt at the LPL (I'd guess 250 or more different participants down the last 11 years) a lot of people do it once or twice and then decide (as mentioned) it is way too much like hard work - which it is! You have to be very motivated or very competitive (like me!  >:D) to keep on coming back to it. This time, I've had recent cataract surgery, so it was never going to be possible for me this Spring. Also, having 'medalled' a few times, I had already decided it was time to step back a bit from it.
But perhaps next time, I will be unable to resist! :D

Please don't be too downhearted. It's one of those things. I think it will pick up again.
I'm going to focus on enjoying the entries we have got, and wishing good luck in the hunt to all the painters taking part - keep it up lads :)

Well spoken. I am certainly not done with the LPL either.

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2018, 11:20:58 PM »
Well, this year was a bit of a test-run for me and has actually had a surprising and positive motivational effect in general.

Very sad to see some of the stalwarts taking a break but still enough competition to make anyone entering thoughtful. I'm also a big fan of some of the new entrants so really looking forward to seeing what the new blood brings  :)
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2018, 10:32:11 AM »
Gah! It's looking quite dodgy already. I really am too slow a painter for this malarkey. I think I might just make it to the end of the regular rounds, but beyond that is dicey. Think I'm going to have to pray I don't make it through to the knock-out stages. The problem is that there is no way I can paint an entry in one week, so I started some time in advance. However, I don't think I started early enough (and I don't really feel it is in the spirit of the LPL to start too early anyway).

Right now I'm fine, but each entry is taking too long, and eating into the time that is really needed for the next one. So each one has less time than the one before to get it done and thus I will eventually run out of time. As I say, I'll be fine for a few weeks, but by the time we get to week seven God knows. Possibly doing a first entry with nine figures was a mistake! That could have been almost two entries.  :)

Oh well, it has been a lot of fun, though. And it has got me painting again and actually enjoying it, something I have been pleasantly surprised about. :)

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2018, 12:00:52 PM »

Oh well, it has been a lot of fun, though. And it has got me painting again and actually enjoying it, something I have been pleasantly surprised about. :)

Well worth it then  :)

Offline valleyboy

• Mad Scientist
    • Valleyboy's Wargames
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2018, 12:18:29 PM »
I'd love to have entered but it never made sense as the first few weeks would have coincided with overseas travel plans.
I'm currently on a Rhine/Moselle river cruise but am grateful that I have good internet access so at least I can follow the efforts of others
Maybe next year
I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colours. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns. - Winston Churchill

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2018, 08:29:41 PM »
I decided in the second half of 2017 to not enter the next LPL show. I did 1,2,3 and 7, and then 9,10,11 in a row. So time for some other projects. Maybe I'll do the next one again ...

There is another barrier to entry and that is the astonishingly high level of painting and presentation displayed in LPL. Its not a great motivator to enter a competition when you have no expectation of winning. I know winning isn't everything, but its nice to think if you pull everything together you have a chance. But having seen the level of entries, I know that isn't remotely likely.

Well, this year some of the top painters didn't participate. A great chance for everybody then? I don't think that winning the show should be your only motivation. For me it has always been a motivation to get better, learn from others, give the best you can and being part of a great community of painters and modellers. Does it cost time and effort? Of course, lots of!