Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:24:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689633
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: THE LEAD PAINTERS LEAGUE 12 - GENERAL DISCUSSION  (Read 91082 times)

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: THE LEAD PAINTERS LEAGUE 12 - GENERAL DISCUSSION
« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2018, 08:38:52 PM »
I agree winning shouldn't be the only motivation. But its certainly one of the motivations to entering a competition. I'm just giving my perspective as someone who hasn't participated in LPL, and am unlikely to. But I have participated in some other online painting comps.

The various painting 100 clubs and badges are another way of participating and interacting with the rest of LAF, which have a far lower barrier to entry.

But LPL is certainly a high standard and high volume painting comp, I don't think its too surprising that relatively few people enter.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2018, 05:38:18 AM »
I'm in to clear some lead pile. As far as I am concerned, nothing is better for production than a looming deadline.

I've been knocked out of the top three a couple times, so 'winning' is nice (especially the free dinners, bags and bags of cash, and accolades from world leaders) but certainly not something I count on. My first year I ended top three (didn't expect to and frankly probably didn't deserve it) and another year I think I was squeezed out due to funky pairings of participants ;) Reminds me of the semester I received an 'A' in a class I should have gotten a 'B' in and a 'B' in the course I deserved an 'A' in :) Best not to take it all too serious!!!

I'm a little surprised at the limited turnout this year, but that's what happens. I almost skipped, for no real reason other than wanting a break after the 'Build Something' and a busy as hell semester. 

This year I'm hoping to paint some figures I've had for about fifteen years, the remnants of a set of minis that appeared in my first LPL.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2018, 07:20:48 PM »
I decided to miss this season because it took too much effort last time.  I don't enter every year though.

Also I think most prefer to see scenic displays and I can only offer five painted figures.

And, I already had enough painted figures to compete in 9 rounds - Conquistador "army" and my Servants of Ra -  so felt that was unfair on other competitors who might be painting like mad to hit deadlines.

Maybe next season...

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2018, 03:28:25 AM »
The knock-out definitely did NOT dissuade me from entering. My reason was simply my free time has evaporated. Poof! Ever since that day in February when I got the call my 79-year-old dad had broken his hip, I knew my life was in for some changes. Spending most of my evenings helping my Mom cope, and taking her to visit dad meant there was no way I would have time to paint even the six rounds I would have likely made it through.

I plan to be back next year, though. Good luck to the participants! Thanks for the great first round... :-*

Mike Demana
www.firstcommandwargames.com
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2018, 04:54:16 AM »
The knock-out definitely did NOT dissuade me from entering. My reason was simply my free time has evaporated. Poof! Ever since that day in February when I got the call my 79-year-old dad had broken his hip, I knew my life was in for some changes. Spending most of my evenings helping my Mom cope, and taking her to visit dad meant there was no way I would have time to paint even the six rounds I would have likely made it through.

Sorry to hear that, sounds like you made the right choice though based off my experiences seeing relatives in similar situations. Broken hip at that age is a major event.

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2018, 02:37:23 PM »
PLEASE NOTE:

Voting for Round 1 will close at 0700 (BST) tomorrow, Saturday 5th May. 

This will continue for all subsequent rounds to allow the admin behind the LPL to make preparations for the next round.
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2018, 07:44:02 AM »
A quick reminder that submissions for Round 3 must be in by midnight (BST) on Friday 11th May.

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2018, 08:58:08 AM »
Something funny going on. I can't see the results of any of the matches. They are blank. Can anyone else see them? Also, the date on the polls themselves indicates the polls have another day to run, and yet clearly they don't.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2018, 02:04:12 PM »
I closed the polls earlier today, as per my post yesterday (see above).  This was so that we can organise the match-ups for Round 2 starting tomorrow.  When setting up polls you may only select a number of days for it to run and I therefore need to lock the voting before that period has elapsed.

I don't know why the results are not showing.  I can see them all, but I have moderator privileges.  Can anyone else see the results from Round 1?

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2018, 02:12:08 PM »
Possibly it is because I haven't voted myself, and you don't get to see the result until you vote. The software is claiming that the vote is still running (usually when the vote is over it says voting has closed and tells you how many voted, etc. but it is still insisting there is time to run) and so I guess it thinks I'm not allowed to see it yet (everybody can see the result once the vote ends). Perhaps I will be able to see the result when the "official" end to the vote has come.

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2018, 02:22:42 PM »
Yes, you cannot see the vote count until you have voted.  You may be correct that the result will not display openly until the "official" poll end.  It is not something I have encountered previously (Running LPL7), so I don't have a better explanation currently.   Now if you had voted....  ;)

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2018, 02:27:46 PM »
It just don't seem right to me, voting on a thing you're in. Nellie Kim and Nadia Comăneci didn't get to score themselves and each other. 

That'll teach me. :)

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2018, 12:01:03 AM »
It just don't seem right to me, voting on a thing you're in.

Do what I do and vote for the other side. That way you get to see the result and you don't lose sleep over the rights or wrongs of it.

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2018, 12:14:16 AM »
Just a reminder that the entries for Round 3 should be submitted by 2359 (BST) this Friday (11th May)  :)

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2018, 02:48:47 PM »
Another reminder for Round 3 pics, due in by the end of tomorrow.

I have replied to all those I have received to date.  If you have not received a confirmation please contact me again via the email or PM.