Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:52:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686552
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: THE LEAD PAINTERS LEAGUE 12 - GENERAL DISCUSSION  (Read 90256 times)

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
THE LEAD PAINTERS LEAGUE 12 - GENERAL DISCUSSION
« on: March 11, 2018, 12:09:28 AM »
This thread is for general discussion on the LPL12

Questions about any aspect of the rules should be posted in the LPL12 rules thread here: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=107918.0

First thing to note is that you have more than a month before entries open on 20th April, and nearly seven weeks before the final deadline for entries on 27th April.

Hopefully that will be long enough for participants to paint and photograph 10 miniatures to comprise the required two initial teams :)

I will be running the league this time - receiving entries, setting up the matches and dealing with questions and enquiries as far as possible.
Admiral Benbow will be managing the draw and the leaderboard.

During the competition itself, we ask you to be considerate and constructive with your comments on the running entries. Feel free to voice your opinion about entries, but DON'T post any comments with any sort of "quality comparison" of the pictures for example:

- 'Entry A is great but I have to vote for entry B, because it's so much better'.
- 'Well entry A is so manifestly superior to entry B, that I cannot understand why so many people are voting for entry B'.
- 'Entry A is running for the third time, so I give my vote to the Entry B, just because it's new and I'm bored with the other one'.

Any comments of this or similar sort will be deleted/censored without warning.

Also please note, there's no such thing as a 'both' button. Never has been - never will be ;)

And now get painting. Good luck to everyone!
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Braz

• Mad Scientist
Re: THE LEAD PAINTERS LEAGUE 12 - GENERAL DISCUSSION
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 06:11:26 AM »
All hail our Lead Painter's League overlord, Overlord!

Thanks in advance for running it.

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 06:33:25 PM »
Just what I need to get me motivated for painting  :).
And I have figures for the first two bonus round as well.

Bear Pirates Go To Hell!

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 09:53:30 AM »
Think I may have to sit this one out this year, recovering from an Tennis Elbow and have a holiday planned just when it starts, but may try to get a head start on the 2019 LPL  ;D Good luck to everyone participating

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 02:48:00 AM »
I have quite a few science fiction support weapons that could be painted but sadly all of them seem to have 2 man crews. I swore I had more Zulu & Sudan British weapons lying around but I need to find the box. Only 6 teams seems a lot more attainable than 10.   lol
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 07:00:00 AM »
Great news. Reckon I might be in on this one :-)
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 08:39:43 AM »
Great news. Reckon I might be in on this one :-)

:)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 01:09:16 AM »
Huh.  The elimination rounds actually feel like they detract from what I like most about the LPL.  I love the sheer amount and variety of the competition - this feels like it cuts that down.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 01:24:22 AM »
Oooooh I'd love to enter again, this year may be a tad trickier though - hols and whatnot. Let's see....

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 09:12:32 AM »
Have fun guys.  It is a contest of endurance fo' su'.
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 09:57:33 AM »
SLIGHTLY less endurance this year though with the experimental change to the format  :)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 09:59:47 AM »
I'm looking forward to it  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 10:05:32 AM »
Huh.  The elimination rounds actually feel like they detract from what I like most about the LPL.  I love the sheer amount and variety of the competition - this feels like it cuts that down.

I agree. I hadn't clocked that bit (should read the rules properly the first time!). I know it's a lot of work for those running it, but eliminating contestants part way through? Really? Basically if you have a bad couple of rounds first up then you know you won't make it through well before round 6.

Think it's a shame for those of us who are never going to make it into the top half but enjoy the competition nonetheless. I was going to try to get teams done in time, probably still will, but that sours it rather.

So - to offer a practical response. Appreciating you want to generate a showdown in the last few rounds. Why not put everyone who doesn't make it past round six (who wants to keep going) into a mini league 'second division' final three rounds or something like that?

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2018, 05:16:20 PM »
As Captain Blood has said, this year is a bit of an experiment.

Whilst I accept that a couple of bad rounds might rule a contestant out after Round 6, I did go back to look at previous LPL contests.  There is some difference between Round 6 and Round 10 positions each year, but it isn't all that big, with the majority of the 'top 8' being included in both groups.

If it doesn't work out this year we can look at what will happen for next year.

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2018, 07:43:56 PM »
Fair enough.

I actually meant though that if say I lose in rounds 1 and 2 (which wouldn't surprise me  :D ) I pretty much know I won't make it past the elimination round, so it sort of kills the competition off beofre it's really started, whereas with 10 rounds there's still some prospect of moving up the table - not necessarily into the top 8, but I'd be pleased to make it into the top half, or the top 20 or that sort of thing - hence the thought about a 'minor places' league for anyone eliminated at round 6 who'd still like to see where they'd end up overall.

Don't get me wrong, totally appreciate all the hard work that goes into running the whole jamboree, just disappointed that I'll only get to throw 6 teams into the ring rather than 10.

But hey, it's not going to stop me from trying to get teams done in time, or voting on the entries, so it's not as though I'm marching down Whitehall with a placard or anything!  lol