Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:47:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686552
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: THE LEAD PAINTERS LEAGUE 12 - GENERAL DISCUSSION  (Read 90255 times)

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
Re: THE LEAD PAINTERS LEAGUE 12 - GENERAL DISCUSSION
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2018, 05:22:13 AM »
SLIGHTLY less endurance this year though with the experimental change to the format  :)

Classy! I didn't notice until now. 

Very interesting.  I'm tempted to go the first 6 rounds now.  lol
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2018, 06:26:42 AM »
Not sure I like the elimination aspect being tested this year. It seems contrary to the spirit of the LPL and LAF somehow.

I'll give it a fair trial, and I'm unlikely to be able to enter this year anyway, but it doesn't seem right.

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2018, 08:34:04 AM »
Didn't even notice the elimination aspect, guess I should actually read all the rules  ;D
But have to say I hate it, glad I'm not entering anyway this year, and won't enter next year if there's an elimination either. I've entered the LPL 3 times now and I have no illusions that I'll ever win it so the competative aspect is secondary to me, but being forced to drop out half way because you're not good enough would really suck. Plus joining the LPL obviously takes a bit of preparation, and most of us don't paint a full team in a week, so it would really suck if you put a lot of effort into prepping and painting minis for rounds that you're not even competing in, let alone the fact that you need to source specific minis for the theme bonus that you otherwise might not buy. Or should you just assume that you won't make it and not bother prepping beyond round 6? in that case why bother joining at all? Plus I just love to see what everyone does each round, and I'd rather see more then less entries each round.

Offline Renaud

• Bookworm
  • Butterfly hunter
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2018, 02:40:28 PM »
I rather like the shortening that is the outcome of the elimination, it will boost the painters who can't dedicate all the time used by those who really have a chance to win, avoid too many duplicate entries, and a crescendo is exciting too. Might participate this year, if I find time to paint 30 miniatures in a six week rush (50 for ten weeks is really too much for most of us who have regular work, kids, and other hobbies).

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2018, 10:30:49 PM »
Well that mean that I will have to do only 6 teams this year. Which will be easier, whet troubles me more is very short admission time. It happens I am leaving for holidays 20 April and wont return before may.. and I will be totally without internet access.. so I will have to make arrangements with somebody to sent my entries during short entry window.. I couldn't sent them even 1 day early because they would be trashed as invalid according to rules.

One week should be enough time but doesn't take into consideration such problems as mine.  And I fail to see a reason what its so.

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 01:57:00 AM »
A shorter 6 week season was undoubtedly not going to be to popular to all.  Conversely, it may be better for others who feel unable to compete for 10 weeks.  The reality is that there have usually been just 30-40 members taking part each year, apart from LPL5 with a monster 72 competitors (after which a 50 limit was set, that has never been reached).

The  knock-out rounds are intended to bring the contest to a big finale.  The last 3 weeks determine final position at the top, relying on the quality of each individual entry rather than on points accumulated to date.

Regarding painting miniatures for rounds 7-9 that might be somehow 'wasted'; you are free to post them on the forum anyway.  As a minimum the lead pile gets (slightly) reduced.

One week should be enough time but doesn't take into consideration such problems as mine.  And I fail to see a reason what its so.
I accept that it is a relatively narrow window, but it has only been for a fortnight previously.  If you were away for those two weeks the problem would be the same.  However, the reason for it is exactly the same as yours; I am on holiday prior to those dates.  For similar reasons I cannot run the contest with a later start date.  The alternative would have been a LPL much later in the year or possibly none at all in 2018.
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2018, 08:13:21 AM »
Just to add some balance - I love it!

With a family far too big, and a busy work life I can actually imagine completing at least six teams in time. I've no allusions that I'd make it through eliminations, but really like the idea of a grand finale with a bit of a tustle at the top.

LPL is, after all, about drama (at least of the lead variety) so this fits right in IMO.

An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2018, 09:56:55 AM »
A shorter 6 week season was undoubtedly not going to be to popular to all.  Conversely, it may be better for others who feel unable to compete for 10 weeks.  The reality is that there have usually been just 30-40 members taking part each year, apart from LPL5 with a monster 72 competitors (after which a 50 limit was set, that has never been reached).

To make it clear, I have no problem with a shorter season it's the knock out aspect that I dislike. I can get that having to paint less minis would possibly bring in more competitors, and I have no problem with that, but I hate the fact that you just eliminate participants halfway, I've always thought that participating is more important than winning, and obviously there are a lot of participants that have little chance of winning but join anyway, and I still enjoy seeing their entries week to week.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2018, 10:41:40 AM »
I think it's a good idea to try something new. Sticking to the same old formula can make it stale. Good luck to all those who enter. And thanks to the organisers for running it. It does take time to do all this stuff, and all you seem to get in return is people complaining, but rest assured some of us appreciate your efforts.  :D

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2018, 10:44:46 AM »
I have my reservations too, but I also like the idea of shaking things up a bit and trying something new. If it's a complete disaster we can always go back to the old way next year.

I do worry a bit that the idea of "I only have to paint six teams" might take too firm a hold and we end up with a bunch of finalists who have nothing ready because they assumed they'd be knocked out. That would be embarrassing (but kind of funny, too).

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2018, 01:29:53 PM »
I'm OK with the play-offs concept. It obviously affects the traditional "everyone participates" concept to some extent and reduces the workload / lead pile mining (in good and evil - less stress but also less accomplishment). Then again, everyone is free to post the extra entries at their leisure.

However, I'm a bit concerned about this part:

let alone the fact that you need to source specific minis for the theme bonus that you otherwise might not buy.

Already the optional bonus rounds tended to cause some gripes about buying miniatures which don't fit into one's projects or normal shopping list. They were still optional, though. Now we have a mandatory theme round (I can't recall any earlier examples despite participating in most seasons since 4th), and it's relatively strictly defined (no fantasy shoehorning or such) and it's the first one after determining the finalists. Doesn't that mean that everyone who has even a remote chance of making it to the top 8 is forced to purchase those minis, and in order to have sufficient shipping/painting time it must be done a few weeks in advance? Consequently, the top 16 or whatever must do that speculatively by round 4 or so, but only half of them will actually make it. Others will just end up with unnecessary purchases. That doesn't sound like reducing one's lead pile, does it?

This overall combination feels a bit poorly planned to me, but please correct me if I've misunderstood something or just want to argue the matter otherwise. :)

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2018, 02:00:54 PM »
Participants don’t HAVE to follow the theme in these rounds, but they will win extra bonus points if they do.
From the rules

So no need to buy anything.
But themes this year are very specific.

I decided to skip thematic rounds altogether this year as space marines ARE closest thing to Brits I have (And I will put them in the round :P

And I dont have any team served weapons unless I will try to add some 15mm to the mix.
Happily I dont have to worry about Explorer round  ;)

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2018, 01:06:14 PM »
May I suggest that you re-read the message and the full rules section you were quoting?

Rounds 1 and 4 are bonus rounds featuring a specific theme – a creative challenge for participants. Participants don’t HAVE to follow the theme in these rounds, but they will win extra bonus points if they do.
In these rounds, if you submit a new team for a bonus round that matches the bonus round's theme, your team receives an extra theme round bonus as specified below (in addition to the 10 point ‘new team’ bonus).
Round 7 has a compulsory theme for all 8 quarter-finalists.

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2018, 07:07:24 PM »
The LPL has always featured themed rounds, so this year is no different in that respect.  Some themes have been very wide, but others less so.  Examples: Armour in LPL9 or Conquistadors in LPL2.  As has been commented, a certain amount of shoe-horning has taken place at times.  A closer definition limits this.

Making the round 7 theme mandatory is a change and was done after consideration.  It was felt that one of the knock-out rounds should be themed and that round 7 was most appropriate.  The format means that bonus points do not apply (except in the case of an absolute draw), hence there would be no real incentive to follow the theme unless it was made compulsory.  I do accept that this may mean some competitors would need to paint entries that would be specifically acquired for the contest, only to find that they have not reached the final eight.  A gap between rounds 6 and 7 was considered, but the contest would lose momentum as a result.

As has been stated, this year incorporates change and at its conclusion we will see how it has worked out.  If forum members think it isn't suitable a return to the previous, or some other, format can be considered.

I have little doubt (as has been the case so far) that there will be members for and against the changes.  Discussion is good, but can we all please keep it civil. 

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2018, 08:45:37 AM »
Submissions are now OPEN for LPL12!

The final deadline for entries is next; Friday 27th April. You must submit TWO teams by this date and remember (if you want the bonus points) that Round 1 is themed  – The British are coming!

You have until 23.59 BST on Friday 27th April to get your first two teams in at lpl@leadadventureforum.com

Please see the rules thread for full details: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=107918.0

The first round of LPL12 will open for voting on Sunday 29th April, 2018.

Good luck to everyone.  :)