Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:52:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690464
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Making Max Mad; Riding into the Gaslands sunset.  (Read 3567 times)

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
Making Max Mad; Riding into the Gaslands sunset.
« on: June 11, 2017, 05:49:33 PM »
Some friends and I have decided to (pre-emptively) get into Gaslands. Now I know that the setting of Gaslands is geared towards a "Running Man/Death Race"-style TV spectacle, but I prefer my vehicular mayhem to be more post-apocalyptic in flavour. Hence my turning towards the style and feel of a certain franchise...  :D

Here's the first two cars, that I finished painting this weekend:

Magnetised for variety...
The pickup with crane got a big beefy scratch-built bull-bar, fit for ramming, and a set of magnets for a gun mounted on the crane and for other weapons/tech to attach to the back of the car (see the oil-sprayer and caltrop dropper box in the picture, plans are to expand this with a large  "tombstone" armour plate, and a big plough/anchor once I finish a decent harpoon gun for these cars.)
The little rat rod has had it's trunk dremelled out to add the fighting platform (with a bottle of NOx in it) and a sturdy, toothy ram bar.
The big guns should be obvious additions...  ;)

Now to scrounge up a few more cars and get to converting more. It's a lot more fun than I thought to build and chop these little cars! Naturally, terrains should follow at some point as well...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 07:31:43 PM by Modhail »

Offline Bloodbeard

• Librarian
  • Dad, Teacher, Hobbyist
    • Bloodbeard's Garage
Re: Making Max Mad; Riding into the Gaslands sunset.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 03:10:32 PM »
Super duper nice models. The weathering and rust effect is off the charts. Super nicely done. I'm playing Devil's Run and looking into Autokill for my 20mm car systems.

Is it freehand painted symbols?

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 05:23:48 PM »
Thanks, Bloodbeard!
Yup, the symbols are freehand.

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 08:33:40 PM »
Nice work there! Not sure I'd want to be in either of those vehicles when the guns fired though - can't imagine the recoil!!!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." - Richard Adams

Offline crikeymiles

• Bookworm
    • Gaslands.com
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 05:50:42 PM »
Looking awesome! Loving the ram bars, are they all scratch built?
Gaslands - Post-Apocalyptic Vehicular Mayhem, to be published by Osprey.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 08:56:48 PM »
Thanks guys!

Eh, the recoil on miniguns is apparently a fairly constant push as long as you're firing. You just have to accept that your front wheels are off the ground when firing, so no turning corners....  lol

Yes, both ram bars are scratch built from plasticard and plastic rod.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 07:42:21 PM »
Ooops! Sorta forgot about this thread....
Past summer I also added some desert terrain to my Gaslands collection (still to be expanded with Gaslands specific things):

But more importantly, today I've finally worked on some cars again! Instead of converting one car from start to finish, I've been hopping back and forth between several cars, doing little bits on each, as my fancy took me:

I married the cab of a Pick-up truck with a good looking body to the chassis of a Big Foot which had a decidedly underdetailed and boring cab. I replaced the wheels on a hot-rodded VW Beetle with all-terrain wheels from donor cars, turning it into a buggy (the gap between the rear wheels and bonnet is intentional, it will be filled with "Zoomie Pipes" exhausts. The Bug also got a driver.
An open topped Rat Rod also got a driver, as well as a standing crewmember .

Finally, I started prep-work for my own attempt at converting a famous/iconic post-apocalyptic car:

Two cars, because I will be making a "before and after" of the car, due to it's acquisition and modification at the hands of a third party...  ;)