Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:14:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686476
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Landsknechts (Steel Fist Minis) - update 20 Oct.  (Read 18642 times)

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
Re: Landsknechts (Steel Fist Minis)
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2018, 08:21:54 PM »
Mick wrote:
How do these compare in size with other ranges of Landsknechts?
e,g. Warlord's Plastic Landsknechts Pikemen set.

Mick, I'm just awaiting Artizan figure in the post, I'll then take some comparative shots of Steel Fist landsknechts with Warlord plastic and metal, Foundry & Artisan - as I appreciate that many folk will already have these figures in the lead pile or painted.
I anticipate that they'll all match well - although it's a subjective process.

Cheers
Simon.

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2018, 10:47:15 PM »
The match with other metals is interesting to increase the variety of sculpts. The match with plastics may make an army more affordable.

I am in the middle of painting 8 of your Landsknechts and two mounted Men At Arms and I am very impressed. 

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2018, 11:16:17 PM »
medieval clothing was made to last many years of course. Its the same issue with other ranges too, the Perry WotR plastics has variously dated harness covering a 40-50 year period. It's all down to how historically specific you want to be of course... :)

This has always sort of bugged me.

We know armour and clothing changed mostly through art and through the few examples surviving in collections and museums. But those examples are from the privileged and the rich. Fashions may have changed for the wealthy , and so they would paint their soldiers in high fashion and go to war dressed in the latest attire, But for the VAST majority of people surely the fashions of 50 years ago or the armour of 50 years ago was still what they were stuck with. You aren't telling me that the local lord scrapped his armoury because someone invented a new style of belt, and so he had to make sure all his men matched the fashion. here were most likely men going to war with 50 year old pieces of armour, hand me down uniforms or costumes sewn together from teh scraps left over from the last war. I know the Lansknechts dressed to display their welath and by proxy their skill, But even among a regiment of the welthy, someone is going to be the poorest and most likely wear the cast offs of the richer soldiers.

It always struck me as a very modern mentality to think that changes in arms and armour would and could be rolled out across the board in a period of mass upheaval and decentralisation.

In short : most soldiers probably didn't look like the paintings from the time in the same way i don't look like a catwalk model.

On the bright side these figures are damn sexy and now i'm wanting some! :)
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline pete17

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 08:04:16 PM »
Hi, here's some pics of 'outdated' and old fashioned' armours taken from the Triumph of Maximillian where you would imagine only the newest and best would be illustrated, which suggest to me at least older styles persisted. Just look at Bruegel's paintings for a whole range of styles in infantry  clothing.  cheers Pete   [img][http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-x8rNyTh4VtA/UBhazZJ1_YI/AAAAAAAAAPo/wSdl30dIMF8/s1600/gothic+7.bmp/img]

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
Re: Landsknechts (Steel Fist Minis) - update 22 March
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2018, 08:59:02 PM »

Armoured advancing pack painted (LAN 04) - these with halberds, but open-handed to be used as pikemen too.
Cheers
Simon.

Offline since1968

• Bookworm
    • since1968
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2018, 09:42:28 PM »
most soldiers probably didn't look like the paintings from the time in the same way i don't look like a catwalk model.

Don't sell yourself short!

Even what we think we know, we don't know. I recently got obsessed with accurately painting Italian arquebusiers in service of Edward VI. Eventually I came across an Italian mercenary circa 1549 in "Scottish Renaissance Armies 1513-1550" and decided to use him as inspiration. After contacting the author, it turns out his source was the Feselen painting "The Siege of Alesia"--which was painted in 1533 on the continent and depicts Caesar fighting the Gauls. (Nothing against this author--it's a good book and he was kind to respond to a reader inquiry).

Do we know whether the mercenary styles changed much in the two decades after the painting? Do we know whether the arquebusiers in service to Edward VI even dressed like Italians or had been in England long enough to look kinda sorta English?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 12:35:38 PM by since1968 »

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2018, 07:29:28 PM »
 Nice job!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 07:32:00 PM by traveller »

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2018, 11:43:30 PM »
Older armour styles did linger, I did notice at least one 15th Century sallet tricked-out to look like a 16th Century burgonet in the range. There is a surviving example of one in a museum somewhere too. Even in the ECW armour stored since the Armada and the establishment of parish armouries, was issued to troops. Armour was damned expensive, apart from the cheap 'munition' types of varying usefulness. So yes old armour lingered on.

Clothing was almost certainly useless by the end of a campaign though, there's plenty of reports of troops dressed in rags. Looted cloth would be turned into clothing, supplemented by looted clothes. I doubt there were any comments like "OMG! Hans, 1504 just called, they want their clothes back" from about 1512 onwards.

;)

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2018, 08:29:13 AM »
On my workbench today are eight 28mm Steel Fist Landsknechts. They were famous for slashed clothing in bright colours. The colours are plausible , based on a Landsknecht flag, rather than historically accurate. The bright slashes in contrasting colours took some patience, a small sable brush and dilute paint.

I have a rough plan. This was the first colour scheme that I liked. If I do go ahead and paint a small skirmish army of say 60 figures, then I will paint groups of six or eight at a time with a colour scheme. The final army will look like there is a lot of variety.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 09:12:14 AM by Mick_in_Switzerland »

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2018, 01:36:49 AM »
They look great- such nice figures.
The colours are plausible , based on a Landsknecht flag, rather than historically accurate.
Is that not the most realistic expectation? :)

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
Re: Landsknechts (Steel Fist Minis) - update 26 March
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2018, 03:41:43 PM »
Comparative image of some Landsknecht figures.
Left to right: Warlord (plastic) / Warlord (metal) / Steel Fist / Steel Fist / Foundry / Artizan.
The lines are just to assist the eye.

It's a personal and subject process, and its about sculpting styles and overall aesthetics, as much as head-to-toe height (we humans are not all the same of course). For me, I think they'll mix pretty well - which is good for those with any existing army units etc.
Simon.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 04:12:41 PM by painterman »

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2018, 03:51:42 PM »
Artizan match very well - they are very close in height and bulk.
Actually I am sure that the Warlord will also look perfectly OK when painted up.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2018, 06:08:16 PM »
Update on my Steel Fist figures.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2018, 06:32:07 PM »
They are a bit tasty. (and a bit orange!)