Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:28:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690626
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Best site/sites to sell miniatures on?  (Read 1280 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Best site/sites to sell miniatures on?
« on: March 12, 2018, 07:27:32 AM »
Hi,

I've been out of the hobby for just about three years as my folks have been seriously ill and it's been pretty much an uphill struggle for a good length of time. Anyway, that's not what I'm here to talk about.

I'm trying to get back into the hobby but over the years have accumulated masses of stuff that frankly I will never get around to painting.

I've noticed that a lot of the traditional fora that was used to sell on wargames miniatures etc have closed down and/or the fora are not visited by many folk anymore. I was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction as to where is the best place/places to sell? I've tried a few sites on Facebook and the old traditional fora (inc. TMP) but I'm not having much luck at the mo.

Any help in this regard would be gratefully accepted :)

Cheers,
Darrell.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: Best site/sites to sell miniatures on?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 07:54:18 AM »
Hi Darrell, good to see you back and I'm sorry for your travails. The hobby's forums have indeed changed in the last couple of years.

Here is as good as anywhere but e-bay is still the best one to try, as Humakt says.

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 08:08:34 AM »
Having tried a few different options in my time, the quickest way of shifting stuff in bulk is to take it all to a wargaming table-top sale (Like the one that the Lincombe Barn Wargames Society runs in Bristol, but others do exist) - much less fuss than a bring and buy as you have your own little store, and for a day slapping prices on things/bags and a day selling it is a lot less faff than having to wrap things and get down the post office etc.

Online, I have found the LAF the best forum to sell on just because of the diverse range of interests represented. It still got me lots more sales than trying to 'target' audiences (modern figures to the Ambush Alley forums, etc). It is also still quicker and easier than eBay.

That said, eBay with the smart-phone app is a hell of a lot quicker than it used to be and perhaps has the largest market reach... if you put the right keywords in the title.
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline MagpieJono

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 08:37:26 AM »
I've found selling bits here is as good as anywhere and also ebay don't take their slice!

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 09:18:04 AM »
Done a bit of buying and selling on here and it is a great experience, other than ebay not a lot more out there, that I've found anyway. :)

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 09:36:07 AM »
I shift stuff at game at some wargame shows and e-bay. I have found that to sell at e-bay, you have to be happy to sell cheap. I was just doing a box a week for a couple of months. The money adds up, but is not representative of true value ........ however, it is off my shelves!

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 09:46:31 AM »
There are a lot of Facebook trading groups that I've had good finds from. Typically slightly cheaper than ebay but an eager audience!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 09:57:05 AM »
There are a lot of Facebook trading groups that I've had good finds from. Typically slightly cheaper than ebay but an eager audience!

Yeah, I've had the opposite response from FB mini trading groups.Perhaps it was what I was trying to sell? I kind of doubt that as it was varied and in some cases very cheep for what I was selling.

Thanks to everyone for answering the post. Trade stalls are out as I need to raise the cash ASAP and there isn't a show happening near me (or one that I usually frequent) in the very near future- but yeah, that's a good idea :)

Cheers,
Darrell.

Offline BillK

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 02:20:36 PM »
LAF has been a good buy-sell option for me and I've had a number of different things (FIW, WWII land and air, Moderns).

Bill

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 02:45:03 PM »
My brother in law emailed me about a site last week.

I'd never heard of it and have had no dealings with it, so for what it's worth the site is https://theleadmountain.co.uk/

It seems to be UK only, so many not be of any use to you at all.

Put simply – The Lead Mountain is a brand new United Kingdom only  Classified Small Ads  website which is wargaming dedicated.
It aims to put UK gamers who wish to sell stuff in contact with UK gamers who’d possibly like to buy stuff ! Registering as a member allows you to contact sellers, or place your own ads.
It is not an e-commerce site or an online auction. Members contact each other through TLM to arrange sales face-to-face,  or through the post, rather like Gumtree.

Offline The Red Graf

• Scientist
  • Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 03:29:12 PM »
Darrell, when you are getting ready to post your sale on Facebook does it give you the option of listing on multiple pages? I always take advantage of this and my sales end up going to about 18 different groups. I have sold a lot of old metal over the last six months and except for overseas postage I love the process. It's certainly easier than eBay.
Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 01:15:13 AM »
Bartertown but it is almost exclusively USA. I have made a couple of inquiries about buying stuff there but as soon as the seller finds out I am in Canada they lose interest.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 10:32:49 PM »
Something to consider too is that many British mini (and some European) companies will drop the VAT (rightfully so!) to Canadian buyers (assume US too).

So that’s a whopping 22% discount on Perry for example. And at £200 they give free shipping. Buying new can be cheaper than used, unless used is really cut deep.

Just a thought.

All the best Darrell and good luck.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2018, 02:55:08 PM »
Buying new can be cheaper than used, unless used is really cut deep.
I discovered that too.