Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:06:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686455
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: NEED HELP  (Read 2504 times)

Offline Captain Gideon

• Librarian
NEED HELP
« on: March 13, 2018, 02:20:41 AM »
I hope someone could help me and I wasn't sure where I should post this but here goes.

Back in Feb I posted that I was looking for Bolt Action miniatures and someone with the username Ephrael said he had a box of 10 metal German Mountain Troops and that he would sell the box for $20.00.

So once I had his email address I sent him the money via PayPal this was Feb 20th I believe.

So it's now March 12th and I've not heard from this person.

So is there anything I can do at this point or did I lose $20.00?

Any advice would be most grateful.

Thanks
Michael

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: NEED HELP
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 02:25:25 AM »
If you sent the money as payment for goods, you can claim a refund.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 03:34:21 AM »
Yeah put in a paypal dispute. Simple.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 09:35:33 AM »
It's not a ridiculously long time yet. Paypal disputes have a very long time period where you can claim back so whether you decide to wait or not you should still be well within the time period for disputing (unless it was a friends and family payment)
Have you tried using the email function on here? If you find his/her name then you can send them a message that way. They will receive your email address along with it though.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 09:37:54 AM by beefcake »

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 10:20:40 AM »
Their member details say they joined in December last year and were last active on here on 22nd Feb. There is also an email address given for them.

If you're getting no joy from trying to contact them, then get that Paypal refund done, unless you paid by Gift, which is just one reason why I refuse to do that!
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 07:11:35 PM »
As above. Pass it over to PayPal.

Process is 3 stage:
You make report and seller is copied on the report via PayPal. You  have to wait a few days to allow them time to contact you.
If no contact you upgrade report to a claim for refund and PayPal then contact the seller directly giving them a set time to respond or lose the money.
If still no response from seller PayPal refund to your PayPal account or card depending on how you paid.

Unless you paid by Friends/Family :( In which case you are out of luck. Never deal with anyone who requests F&F payment, they are either scamming you or scamming PayPal.

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 09:02:24 PM »
I always request PayPal F&F when selling stuff to avoid the fees. Which is presumably why many others do the same. It doesn’t mean I/they are scamming. I didn’t realise though this negated the buyer’s right to dispute so I will rethink this maybe. I usually though sell to well established members of this forum so fairly trusting about transactions.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 09:04:07 PM by armchairgeneral »

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 04:45:43 AM »
Does it avoid the fees though? I always thought in that case the payer had to absorb the fees. Why not just add the % on to your sale?
Of course there are always the people that scam you the other way around. No tracking and they claim it never arrived, money refunded, free minis.

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 07:10:30 AM »
Does it avoid the fees though? I always thought in that case the payer had to absorb the fees. Why not just add the % on to your sale?
The fees are indeed on the buyers side with the F&F option. In my experience lots of people agree to 'overpay', but few ever do completely so (adding the fee raise the amount, which means more fees....).

That's why I'm also a "scammer" it seems, meaning that I prefer the friends & family option.

As you mentioned, you also have the people that 'scam' the other way.
I like my games like my orange juice: pulpy with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 10:53:25 AM »
F&F is fine but you are effectively sending cash.  No protection. 
That is the trade off, cheaper but higher risk.

Personally I use the goods and services option and price appropriately.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 02:02:38 PM »
I use PayPal less for actual friends and family as we have email transfer of funds here in Canada for up to $2000 a day for free. I use it for local selling too.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 02:30:13 PM »
No fees with F&F for either party - if you pay £20, the other person gets £20. Paypal doesn't get anything for that, but no-one gets any protection in the transaction.

I don't request it when I'm selling because a) I don't like the idea of my customers not being protected against mishaps, b) I don't work out profit margins so tightly I can't afford losing 3% of the price. On here I'm just clearing my shelves really, so I'm making a loss anyway on what I paid for the stuff.

But if another seller does request F&F it maybe puts me off a little, but if I really want the item I will just suggest I pay a little extra (usually around 5% for a round number) to cover it.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2018, 06:36:08 PM »
I always request PayPal F&F when selling stuff to avoid the fees. Which is presumably why many others do the same. It doesn’t mean I/they are scamming. I didn’t realise though this negated the buyer’s right to dispute so I will rethink this maybe. I usually though sell to well established members of this forum so fairly trusting about transactions.

Yeh, I have no problem sending F&F to people I trust (and will often do so without being asked, in order to save the seller some money). But if there's the slightest bit of doubt then it's regular transfer only.

PayPal's gotten more than enough out of me over the years, especially with their dodgy exchange-rate calculations, so I don't sweat clawing a little back from them when there's no risk.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2018, 07:34:09 PM »
One thing that should be known about the f&f way, if you do it too much you lose the option, i've had friends report as such.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2018, 07:50:06 PM »
Yeh, I have no problem sending F&F to people I trust (and will often do so without being asked, in order to save the seller some money). But if there's the slightest bit of doubt then it's regular transfer only.

PayPal's gotten more than enough out of me over the years, especially with their dodgy exchange-rate calculations, so I don't sweat clawing a little back from them when there's no risk.

Don't even get me started on the exchange rates! Learned after I looked that if I have the option of paying with my credit card, directly, that it's better to pay VISA's 2% or whatever FOREX premium they charge.

If anyone wants to do the experiment, try it. PayPal is making money on the exchange.