Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:26:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Black Order - All Things End  (Read 196715 times)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: The Black Order
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2018, 06:25:49 PM »
Great stuff  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2018, 06:50:21 PM »
Lovely stuff. I'm building a human fantasy army out of Fireforge and Conquest games miniatures at the moment myself (oddly enough with snow bases as well) so this is very inspiring stuff. thanks.

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2018, 07:35:11 PM »
Superb!! Lovely looking army and a great back story for it as well. :)

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2018, 10:10:56 AM »
Cheers guys.

Still uploading completion pics - in a while I'll start putting up WIP shots of current projects as well.

Those few survivors of the once-formidable knightly Orders of the Kingdom were left without lands, lords or allegiance in the world after the Cataclysm. Whilst many retained the colours and heraldry of their now-dead liege lords, seeking only to end their service - and lives - with honour, others bound themselves to new masters, sacrificing old heraldry for new in a desperate attempt to retain their purpose in an unforgiving and hostile world.

The foundation of the Black Order is not well recorded. The Battle of Black Cross is believed by historians to have been the singular event which granted the Order its name as well as its sigil, the iron cross of fervor, in recognition of the infamy it earned that day. Few other battles in the post-Cataclysm ruins of the Kingdom are known to have pitched knight against knight, and none were fought with such ferocity.

In the wake of Black Cross, the Order swelled in size, with many knights-errant and initiates of now-shattered Orders submitting themselves to the Black Order and taking the black-and-bone surcoat as their own. Those who would bear the black sigil would be required to swear fealty to the Order as a singular entity, and would undergo a joining ritual, the nature of which was whispered by the Order's enemies and detractors as heathen and barbaric.
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2018, 10:14:21 AM »

The Order took on a great number of warriors after the Battle of Black Cross. Of these disparate and varied recruits, the knights who had fought in the northern campaigns against the Dark were first to join, and came in the strongest numbers. Former knights-warden, knights-errant and wandering hedge knights took on the mantle of the Order's greatest huntsmen, ranging north on great Hunts whilst the Black Order established itself within the ruins of the old Kingdom's northern border towns.

These knights who held no lands, followed no lords and kept no retainers were among the Order's most savage and brutal warriors. These were men who had spent their youths in the shadow of the Dark, and lived through the nights of terror in the North when the draugar of the pagan kingdoms encroached southward, and yet somehow lived to tell the tale.

In the years to come, when the Dark returned at last, these knights served in the Order's vanguard, bringing the wrath of the Black Order against the ancient enemy with a fury that was unmatched in history or legend.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2018, 10:35:23 AM »
Great work!
 8) 8)

Those figures with those great bases combined with that backdrop really do set the scene of your narrative very well.
 :D

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2018, 10:46:59 AM »
Wow  :-* :-* :-*
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Ragsta

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2018, 04:20:28 PM »

Welcome to the forum, ‘it’s a good kingdom all told but ‘ware the trolls and squidling things in the dark corners. Ahem.

Very very cool work all around, and I love that you’re tapping into Myth! I remember playing that game and how grim it felt - never did work out how to escape the catacombs... ;)

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2018, 10:58:01 AM »
Cheers lads.

Hopefully gonna get some more games in soon and do some proper photoreps. I did get my hands on these yesterday...

Anyone had any experiences with either? Anyone know of any good groups playing either in London (UK?)

Time will tell I suppose. I figured it would be good for the Black Order to expand beyond Kings of War.

And now we're nearly all caught up with the completed units:

The Battle at Black Cross, the climax of a brutal civil war between the surviving Orders of the Kingdom, saw the Black Order's rise from a conglomeration of hedge knights and impoverished knights-errant to a military and political entity in charge of its own princedom in the northern forests of the former Kingdom. Due to the nature of the Black Order's homesteads - found usually within forests and upon mountainous terrain - many of the Order's knights eschewed the use of mounts in those early days, preferring to fight on foot with the Order infantry and peasant levies.

After Black Cross, and during the wars which followed, the Order's knights retained an ethos of flexibility; all knights were expected to spend several rotations serving alongside the infantry, learning the virtues of the common man and shouldering his burden, thereby establishing a deeper bond with the peasants and serfs to whom they were overlords.

Offline Severian

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2018, 04:09:16 PM »
Splendid stuff - thanks for posting these.

As others have said, your backgrounds and back-story really set off the assembled figures. You've got a fine range of units and styles all nicely within a common theme and colours. Very well done indeed!

Dragon Rampant is a great ruleset, btw: very flexible, and forgiving of whatever basing you've accumulated over the years...

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2018, 04:14:03 PM »
great project, and great painting  :)
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline Psychoflexible

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2018, 09:17:06 PM »
Men, iron, dark, dirty. Love them !

Offline wolfkarl

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2018, 09:42:49 PM »
Great use of a historical army in a fantasy setting. I would second Dragon Rampant.

Offline Phil Portway

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2018, 09:57:12 PM »
That's a grand looking army, very dark as the black order should be!
 8) 8) 8)
If it isn't enjoyable, it isn't gaming!

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2018, 10:17:42 PM »
Dragon Rampant would be a great start I reckon - you can tailor it to fit whatever sort of setting you want to play, with all sorts of unit options to play around with. Love the updates, great figures indeed!