Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:08:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689287
  • Total Topics: 118269
  • Online Today: 605
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Black Order - All Things End  (Read 197887 times)

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
Re: The Black Order
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2018, 06:47:02 AM »
Really amazing stuff.
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2018, 07:26:09 PM »
Nice Ettin (a one headed Ettin  :o) is that a Scibor miniature?

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2018, 09:07:40 PM »
Very impressive.  You will let us know what miniature brands you are using, won't you?

The ettin is Scibor i believe.

A really great force you've assembled here.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2018, 09:18:21 PM »
Very nice mood you're setting in this thread.  8)

I love the gritty finish on your minis - and I must say, you have a very high rate of churning out stuff with this quality!
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2018, 05:49:45 PM »
Cheers guys. Really appreciate the kind words.

Nice Ettin (a one headed Ettin  :o) is that a Scibor miniature?

Very impressive.  You will let us know what miniature brands you are using, won't you?

Indeed it is Scibor. And yes, a one-headed ettin - rather unusual but I have a story behind why these ettins are one-headed.

Next up are some WIPs when I get a moment to take pics, the force is expanding by rather a lot - dedicated Order infantry made up of professional soldiers, 3 (yes 3) trebuchets, a unit of Inner Circle knights and Knight-Captain Tyr's model incarnation on foot. As well as a number of knightly models inspired by a game called For Honor...
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2018, 03:02:56 PM »
Wonderful painting (knights NOT "in shining armor") and a wonderful backstory.  Gymir in particular.  Am quite enjoying your postings.

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2018, 12:24:04 PM »
Wonderful painting (knights NOT "in shining armor") and a wonderful backstory.  Gymir in particular.  Am quite enjoying your postings.

Cheers :) Yes, much prefer the grittier fantasy vibe over the high-fantasy shining steel look.

Even before the Cataclysm, the society of the old Kingdom was one positioned on a constant war footing. The depredations of raider clans from the North, the expansionist tendencies of the Western city-states and the ever-present threat of the return of the Dark meant the Kingdom's military Orders rarely, if ever, knew rest. Young males were taken by the Orders early in life to face trials of strength, endurance and intellect matching them to their role in society; in theory, men could through merit alone rise above the station assigned to them by birth, although in a society where few lived to die of old age this mattered little.

One tradition that did not die with the collapse of the Kingdom was the use of women in the military structure of the surviving Orders. The women of the old Kingdom had also been expected to serve, whether as healers, engineers, auxiliaries or even rarely in the battleline itself. Whilst elsewhere the domain of war was for man alone, in the Kingdom women enjoyed no such distinction. The Orders took in a limited number of young girls each year to face the same trials the males did; each year, a select number of the brightest, fastest and most adaptable of the Kingdom's womenfolk passed the trials and joined the Orders under the rank of Sister-Martial.

Milana was one such individual. She was with us before Black Cross, and served as one of the founding officers of the Black Order. In many ways she is an exemplar to the surviving Sisters-Martial, for she combines the talents of warrior, leader and healer with a keen intellect that has become one of the Order's great assets.

No warrior or war-leader is without flaw, though, and for Milana, the sin of pride has almost been her downfall. Ever keen to prove herself the superior of her brothers in the Order, she has acted rashly, foolishly, more than once in the past and almost paid the price. When she challenged Tancred during the slaughter at Black Cross she was lucky only to lose her right eye; Tancred would have taken far more than that had Baelden not intervened. Milana still bears the bloodied dressing of that old wound, but as a reminder of the wages of pride or as a token of regret for what we did at Black Cross I am not sure.

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
Re: The Black Order - Milana, Sister-Martial
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2018, 03:03:30 PM »
Order infantry WIP. No common villeins these but professional soldiers drilled and trained to serve alongside Order knights, their regimental epithet “the Martyrs” awarded for resolve and bravery on the field. No guesses what they represent in a Brotherhood army 😉

Based heavily off the warriors from Myth: The Fallen Lords ; :D

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
Re: The Black Order - Warriors of the Order
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2018, 01:58:02 PM »
Some more from the list of old completions. As I game mostly in Kings of War at the minute (though am eagerly researching alternatives to broaden my horizons) I need disordered/wavered status markers, objective counters and (why not) casualty markers to hold damage dice.

Therefore the following seemed suitable as disordered/wavered status markers, with 1 representing disordered, and 2 counters next to a unit representing wavered:

For objectives, I reasoned that supplies would be at a premium for the Order, so barrels containing foodstuffs and other supplies seemed like a good basic objective suitable for any scenario. I do plan to make scenario-specific objectives at some point however, and also some 'scenic' objectives on much larger bases :)

And finally, casualty/damage markers - these were my first foray into making these, and whilst I'm not totally happy with the look of the green-stuffed slots for D10s, it seems to work reasonably well on the field.

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
Re: The Black Order - Objectives, Status Markers and Casualties
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2018, 08:58:12 AM »
Another completion to add here - a pair of ballistae crewed by villeins. Three(!) trebuchets are currently being assembled and painted up to join the Order's artillery!

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2018, 07:51:01 PM »
Nice! You're going to need a lot of Thralls to give these guys a run for their money. :)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2018, 08:53:42 PM »
Lots of good stuff!  :)
Looking forward to those trebuchets!  8)

Offline Bloodsbane

• Scientist
  • AKA FKSN
    • I'm a drawer
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2018, 07:15:49 AM »
Great stuff!
Where are those ballista models from? I'm digging them!

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2018, 11:00:04 PM »
Cheers chaps!

Thus far the Norba Breton trebuchets are sadly one of the very worst model kits I've ever worked with. The casting is abominable, full of bubbles, gaps, shrinkages and loss of detail. The kit also appears not to fit together very well. I'm afraid in the spirit of full disclosure I wouldn't be able to recommend them to anybody.

Great stuff!
Where are those ballista models from? I'm digging them!

The ballistae are from Black Tree Design. They're a rather old kit and it shows in the cast (although nowhere near the level of Norba's issues). They painted up OK. Gamewise the jury's out as to whether ballistae or trebuchets are more worth the points in a Brotherhood army in Kings of War...

Anyway, quick WIP shot of some other models I've had on the workbench. For anyone who's familiar with the For Honor medieval fighting game, these guys are penitent knights in the Black Order inspired by the Lawbringer and Conqueror knights of For Honor. Pics attached of the Lawbringer and Conqueror for interest. They're not 1/1 recreations but I was throwing together random Fireforge/Frostgrave/Perry parts on a whim and thought I'd have a stab. I'll probably try for fully accurate versions in the future.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: The Black Order - Penitent Knights
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2018, 04:54:36 AM »
Cool. Love the guy on the left.