Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:33:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Black Order - All Things End  (Read 196662 times)

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: The Black Order - Knights-Warden
« Reply #150 on: December 07, 2018, 01:05:30 PM »
Absolutely love that kitbash. I'm going to have to steal it for my GoT project.

Offline Kegluneq

• Bookworm
Re: The Black Order - Crow's Peak Graveyard
« Reply #151 on: December 07, 2018, 04:21:37 PM »
Thanks very much indeed guys - really means a lot to hear positive feedback.
[/center]

Well get ready for more positive feedback: they look great!  I think I have all the parts for this so I might try to make a few myself.  Did you have to do any weird pinning or greenstuff work to get the arms to fit on the Frostgrave barbarian bodies? 

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #152 on: December 07, 2018, 10:16:37 PM »
Tremendous output, here!
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #153 on: December 14, 2018, 05:55:50 PM »
Well get ready for more positive feedback: they look great!  I think I have all the parts for this so I might try to make a few myself.  Did you have to do any weird pinning or greenstuff work to get the arms to fit on the Frostgrave barbarian bodies? 

Cheers! Unfortunately the answer to that question is a resounding 'yes' - it required huge amounts of trimming, GS work and repositioning. Perry's medieval knights are incredibly skinny compared to the beefier Frostgrave models - I think the effect works OK in the end but it's definitely not a straightforward kitbash.

Tremendous output, here!

Thanks a bunch! More to come soon I hope :)

Absolutely love that kitbash. I'm going to have to steal it for my GoT project.

Please do, and post pics when you have done!
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #154 on: December 16, 2018, 01:44:40 PM »
Couldn't resist a quick pic of the Black Order's vanguard company fighting the painted elements of the spider-cults of fallen Modgud:

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
Re: The Black Order - Graveyard Combat
« Reply #155 on: December 16, 2018, 02:13:55 PM »
Everything about that is cool.
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #156 on: December 16, 2018, 08:02:43 PM »
Perfect!

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #157 on: December 16, 2018, 09:37:41 PM »
Ace!

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #158 on: December 28, 2018, 12:43:35 PM »
Background, context and setting.......then wrapped in conversions, unique models and amazing paint jobs........I think I’ve found a new favourite army to follow the progress of.

Amazing work, sir, just amazing!

Did you say London based earlier in the thread?

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #159 on: January 08, 2019, 02:58:14 PM »
Thanks, guys!

Background, context and setting.......then wrapped in conversions, unique models and amazing paint jobs........I think I’ve found a new favourite army to follow the progress of.

Amazing work, sir, just amazing!

Did you say London based earlier in the thread?

Cheers, that's really high praise and is great to hear! Yes, I'm London-based when in the UK but am split between the UK and the cold climes of Eastern Europe at the minute. That said, I'm likely to move back to London permanently within the coming year. :)

Time for a slightly bittersweet completion for the Order as I'm not sure these will be usable in their current configuration once the Northern Alliance has full rules for Kings of War...

___

Showcasing the knights-warden of the Black Order, and Ludovic Tyr himself. The knights-warden are Black Order brothers chosen to go into the frozen North ahead of the main army of the Order and form the bodyguard of Knight-Captain Tyr.

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
Re: The Black Order - Tyr's Wardens
« Reply #160 on: January 09, 2019, 06:01:28 PM »
Can't help it - working on upgrading the pics I take (and adding stylistic effects to them) but in the meantime here's a staged action shot:

Holding Back the Dark

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 06:04:10 PM by Knight-Captain Tyr »

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
Re: The Black Order - Tyr's Wardens
« Reply #161 on: January 10, 2019, 05:06:24 PM »
Working on transforming a Norba trainwreck into workable Vanguard/KoW terrain. I bought three of these bloody buildings and not a single piece fits properly or is cast without bubbles and flaws. Nevertheless I think I'll end up with at least one viable terrain piece.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: The Black Order - House WIP
« Reply #162 on: January 12, 2019, 10:43:52 AM »
I've got the same houses in my collection. Still missing items thst were promised in the kickstarter. Dreadful company.

Anyway, yours looks like it is going to come together well in the end.

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
Re: The Black Order - House WIP
« Reply #163 on: January 13, 2019, 12:13:38 AM »
Cheers Ogrob. Yes, I prefer not to speak ill of others in the hobby generally but Norba really have a way to go to make it back into the good books.

Slightly self-serving post inbound. When I started to collect the Black Order, a motley assortment of knights, men-at-arms, yeomen and nonhuman mercenaries in August 2017 I swore I'd just get one box of Fireforge men-at-arms and maybe a set of foot or mounted knights. No more. Unfortunately, halfway through painting the first ten spearmen I discovered this slightly strangely named game called Kings of War. A friend gave me my first game a few weeks later and I was more hooked than the time I first played 40k as a 10-year old in GW Oxford Street (There's a medal for him in there somewhere, he's hooked a few people into this game now...).

Fast forward to Jan 2019 and I'm sitting at somewhere between 4000-5000 points of knights, peasant levies, professional soldiery and ettin allies under the Brotherhood list. This isn't counting the dwarven auxilia that is gathering behind the scenes, because the Black Order - after the cataclysm in their lore which matches up pretty well with the events of the Edge of the Abyss in Mantica - is marching North to join an Alliance (see what I did there?) of men, dwarves, ettins and stranger creatures against the resurgent Dark. Gamewise, I've been set on running them under the Northern Alliance rules since the NA were rumoured to be taking on Brotherhood remnants. At the minute, the Order is in a weird halfway state where I'm running it as Varangur until Northern Alliance get a trial list. So, the Black Order's long march North has officially begun, and will last until they arrive at the gates of Greathold (or Chill, if we're keeping it in Mantica-lore), when the Northern Alliance gets rules and I try to figure out how to make all this reasonably fit into an NA list. I'm sure there will be many casualties along the way - I don't expect to be able to use dark pegasi - but units like the Ettin brothers Gymir and Magnir will get some reinforcements, and the foot knights might be rebased to 25mm to be used as Huscarls. And my yeomen archers have been looking pretty knife-eared lately (I know that's racist. Damn elves).

Anyway. Enough blather. The Black Order in its completed form as of January 2019, pending further additions (which are always forthcoming...) Just wanted to share with you all. Let the long march north commence!

From left to right - Knight-Marshal Torrigan, Sister-Militant Milana, Knight-Captain Ludovic Tyr (foot and mounted), Gunnlaug the Witchbreed, Knight-Marshal Gaheris

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: The Black Order - The Long March Begins (Army Shot)
« Reply #164 on: January 13, 2019, 12:23:52 AM »
Wonderful thread!
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.