Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:56:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Black Order - All Things End  (Read 196703 times)

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
Re: The Black Order - Dwarves of the Traverse
« Reply #180 on: February 20, 2019, 05:45:37 PM »
They look amazing. Have you shortened the oathmark dwarves?

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #181 on: February 20, 2019, 07:06:57 PM »
Superb, again!

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #182 on: February 20, 2019, 07:14:43 PM »

"Get outta the way!"

Excellent work! :)

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #183 on: February 20, 2019, 11:39:41 PM »
Cheers all - must say it is great to receive such kind comments, really helps with the motivation to paint :) Really nice community here on LAF.

"Get outta the way!"

Excellent work! :)

I'm really glad someone got it! Having recently finished a(nother) playthrough of Myth: TFL, I have a few more ideas for Myth callbacks in projects to come.

again... the dwarves look amazing! What is the base color you are using for armor on the knights? Almost looks like Reaper "blade steel".

It's Vallejo "negro metal" from their airbrush range. Gives a really nice dark, beaten effect for metal, I've found. Cheers :)

They look amazing. Have you shortened the oathmark dwarves?

Ha, that must be a trick of the eye. I haven't shortened them but the effect is probably from the Frostgrave barbarian arms being slightly oversized for their frames. I wanted the dwarves of the Black Order's world to be slightly more non-human in their appearance than typical fantasy dwarves, and figured that their albino appearance - making them hard to differentiate to outsiders - coupled with heavily muscled frames with overly long arms would give them an almost simian look. Hopefully it actually works and doesn't just look comical.

Anyone remember these guys - Cruniac's rangers?

They're getting reinforcements. I need to double the unit size to 12, so I can use it as a regiment in Kings of War (and maybe something else in Warlords of Erehwon or Saga). Taking the 'individual' approach with these reinforcements as I want each ranger to look like a capable, distinguished veteran in his own right. Starting with this guy:

" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
Re: The Black Order - Ranger Reinforcements
« Reply #184 on: February 21, 2019, 07:52:46 AM »
Very impressive. I particularly like the gritty realism of your colour palette and painting style.

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #185 on: February 21, 2019, 08:44:13 AM »
Frostgrave soldier body, Perry axe and head, and a fireforge shield?
Bow looks like its from frostgrave barbarians maybe?

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #186 on: February 21, 2019, 10:34:05 AM »
I'm really glad someone got it! Having recently finished a(nother) playthrough of Myth: TFL, I have a few more ideas for Myth callbacks in projects to come.

Look forward to seeing it. So many times I pondered doing some kind of Myth TFL/SB project, given it is perfect to translate to the table (small forces, off to the side of the huge battles etc). The atmosphere of those game is amazing, and you've captured it perfectly with your project. Currently playing Soulblighter again. The return of the Myrkridia is an epic moment, helping King Alric escape to a ship as a shadow of the past ravages the area. Always thought that would make for a great scenario.

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #187 on: February 25, 2019, 08:28:17 PM »
Very impressive. I particularly like the gritty realism of your colour palette and painting style.

Thanks a lot. At some point I'll try more colourful styles, but this is really working for me at the minute.

Frostgrave soldier body, Perry axe and head, and a fireforge shield?
Bow looks like its from frostgrave barbarians maybe?

Exactly. The overslung bows are frostgrave barbarians or Oathmark dwarves.

Look forward to seeing it. So many times I pondered doing some kind of Myth TFL/SB project, given it is perfect to translate to the table (small forces, off to the side of the huge battles etc). The atmosphere of those game is amazing, and you've captured it perfectly with your project. Currently playing Soulblighter again. The return of the Myrkridia is an epic moment, helping King Alric escape to a ship as a shadow of the past ravages the area. Always thought that would make for a great scenario.

Oh man. Gate of Storms was an incredible level. Probably up there for one of my favourite levels in the series, although nothing tops Bagrada for me - the feeling when 10-year-old me first saw the Trow tearing through my troops was unparalleled. Everything about that level, from the first hordes of Thrall emerging from the snowstorm to finding bedraggled groups of your own men wandering in the valleys, was awesome. Have you ever followed through with the temptation to model Myth stuff?

oh my, missed some of the more recent stuff.

the dark pegasi (?) are fantastic.

Cheers dude :)

________

Another WIP of another Ranger. This one's been hitting the gym.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #188 on: February 25, 2019, 09:25:23 PM »
I think his bicep is bigger than his head. Seen some people like that!

Really like how you do fur collars, I've even tried to copy it on some recent builds. My usual fur method results in a rather flatter pelt.

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #189 on: March 01, 2019, 08:45:44 AM »
I think his bicep is bigger than his head. Seen some people like that!

Really like how you do fur collars, I've even tried to copy it on some recent builds. My usual fur method results in a rather flatter pelt.

Cheers. Will check it out in your log - I'm not totally happy with my efforts yet, there's always room to improve.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #190 on: March 01, 2019, 09:05:56 AM »

I clicked too. Currently replaying Myth due to your thread. I really hated when those bombs went off in the wrong direction. lol

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #191 on: March 03, 2019, 11:17:32 AM »
I clicked too. Currently replaying Myth due to your thread. I really hated when those bombs went off in the wrong direction. lol

All part of the fun...Few things compare to that sense of defeat when a single dwarf blows up half your force  :D

___

The last two rangers:

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #192 on: March 03, 2019, 01:15:36 PM »
Nice! What head is that on the last one? Expressive faces without beards are hard to find.

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #193 on: March 03, 2019, 09:17:35 PM »
Nice! What head is that on the last one? Expressive faces without beards are hard to find.

That's from the Gripping Beast plastic archers kit for Swordpoint (think it's sometimes packaged as Dark Age Archers?) Not too bad a kit if you need unit filler.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #194 on: March 03, 2019, 09:50:49 PM »
Love your painting :-*
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.