Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:13:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Black Order - All Things End  (Read 196713 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: The Black Order - Master of the Order
« Reply #615 on: January 17, 2021, 02:35:52 PM »
He’s great. Lovely finish. Getting almost Blasphemia Blackwood like  :-*

I recognise the head and the arms. Is that an Oathmark human body? I can’t place it from my vast stack of plastic sprues :)

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
Re: The Black Order - Master of the Order
« Reply #616 on: January 24, 2021, 05:00:52 PM »
Thanks a bunch, all :)

He’s great. Lovely finish. Getting almost Blasphemia Blackwood like  :-*

I recognise the head and the arms. Is that an Oathmark human body? I can’t place it from my vast stack of plastic sprues :)

That's phenomenal praise - am a big fan of Ana's work so take that as a mighty compliment, cheers Cap. The body is from Fireforge's Living Dead Warriors kit. They're a fair bit bigger than Perry bodies, just FYI.

Now, I've been inspired by Ogrob and a few others to try out Oathmark, as mentioned previously. Kings of War is a great game, but I miss a slightly more flavourful, lore-driven approach to gaming, and Oathmark seems to fit the ticket. With lockdown prohibiting games in the immediate future, I might be able to get a game in vs the better half at some point.

With that in mind I'm doing my usual narrative framework for everything. Do the following lists look balanced to you guys?

" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Online Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The Black Order - Oathmark Campaign prep
« Reply #617 on: January 24, 2021, 06:10:26 PM »
More flavourful, lore-driven games are exactly what your awesome collection deserves. It's always been clear that you are very much a narrative-driven player (hence my being a big fan :D), and it's cool that Oathmark is able to bring that out more on the table. The map is really great, too. You're a man of many talents!

Have you considered remote gaming over Discord/Skype etc? If you've got a willing opponent it's quite doable. Even more so with a game that sees you activating whole units as it's easier to tell what's what over the camera. It just requires you to do all the moving of the figures. Your remote opponent can roll their dice etc - on camera if you don't trust them lol

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #618 on: January 24, 2021, 06:13:37 PM »
Very cool! Looking forward to seeing your campaign progress and your thoughts on the game.

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #619 on: January 24, 2021, 09:10:53 PM »
Im very curios, how it will progress!
I think, that 10 skeletal archer wont do anything... They are too weak, if you want archers for the undead, then make it at least 15, or even 20 to work (rank bonus helps a lot), and then a bit less skeleton soldiers. The level 1 nacromancer is also pretty weak, it can have a lot of casting fails.
And you have a lot of archers in the human army, but the damage from archers to the undead troops is halved, so they wont have that big influence on the battle, as their point value suggests. I would take 1 archer group (to have a ranged unit), and maybe take a spellcaster instead of the other one (as a priest or something, to fit better to your lore).

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #620 on: January 24, 2021, 09:32:04 PM »
Almost forgot, lone charatcers dont really work in Oathmark (unless they are spellcasters), so your knight-captain should be a part of a unit.

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #621 on: January 25, 2021, 09:21:30 PM »
Sorry, playing catch-up here... i'm in love with the inner chamber knights!
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #622 on: January 28, 2021, 10:37:33 PM »
More flavourful, lore-driven games are exactly what your awesome collection deserves. It's always been clear that you are very much a narrative-driven player (hence my being a big fan :D), and it's cool that Oathmark is able to bring that out more on the table. The map is really great, too. You're a man of many talents!

Have you considered remote gaming over Discord/Skype etc? If you've got a willing opponent it's quite doable. Even more so with a game that sees you activating whole units as it's easier to tell what's what over the camera. It just requires you to do all the moving of the figures. Your remote opponent can roll their dice etc - on camera if you don't trust them lol

Thanks mate - long time no see btw, thanks for commenting :)

I am more of a narrative gamer than I realised. I did a lot of Kings of War tournaments in 2019-20 and increasingly found that at the top tables it gets a bit gamey. I enjoy the challenge of a competitive game, but unfortunately wargaming is an imperfect outlet for competitive drive, in my humble opinion. So yes, having much more fun just treating it as a narrative hobby first. :)

Never considered or thought of online/distanced gaming. Very interesting. I suppose it's more fun for the player who has all the models on their end though. Have you tried it?

Very cool! Looking forward to seeing your campaign progress and your thoughts on the game.

Coming soon! :D (I hope)

Almost forgot, lone charatcers dont really work in Oathmark (unless they are spellcasters), so your knight-captain should be a part of a unit.

Thanks for both comments - I hadn't read the rules closely enough so completely missed that about archer damage to the undead! Great point. And yep, the plan currently is for all characters to be in units.

Sorry, playing catch-up here... i'm in love with the inner chamber knights!

Cheers mate! I've never managed to work out whether the two Gibby's are somehow interconnected...and here you are both at the same time :)

Online Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #623 on: January 29, 2021, 04:30:34 PM »
Thanks mate - long time no see btw, thanks for commenting :)

I am more of a narrative gamer than I realised. I did a lot of Kings of War tournaments in 2019-20 and increasingly found that at the top tables it gets a bit gamey. I enjoy the challenge of a competitive game, but unfortunately wargaming is an imperfect outlet for competitive drive, in my humble opinion. So yes, having much more fun just treating it as a narrative hobby first. :)

Never considered or thought of online/distanced gaming. Very interesting. I suppose it's more fun for the player who has all the models on their end though. Have you tried it?

Completely agree with you regarding wargaming being an imperfect outlet for competitive drive. It's a whole topic of its own, but often skill takes a second place to gamesmanship/listbuilding/meta-related rubbish that tends to spoil the spirit of any game. As for remote gaming - I have tried it, not yet as host (I still own no webcam) but it works surprisingly well. Too Fat Lardies recently did a video about doing it on their YouTube channel, among others who have shared tips etc.

I've never managed to work out whether the two Gibby's are somehow interconnected...and here you are both at the same time :)

lol we are totally separate Gibbys, from totally separate kingdoms. I like other Gibby though, he redeems the name. :D

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #624 on: January 29, 2021, 06:51:23 PM »
Completely agree with the above! Gibby comes from an old basketball coach of mine... my last name is Gibson, so his name for me was Gibby from day 1... it stuck after that. All you need to know is that both Gibby's love what you are doing and want to see more!

Online Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #625 on: January 29, 2021, 06:56:20 PM »
Completely agree with the above! Gibby comes from an old basketball coach of mine... my last name is Gibson, so his name for me was Gibby from day 1... it stuck after that. All you need to know is that both Gibby's love what you are doing and want to see more!

Fellow Gibson! I figured that'd be the case. I was called Gibby by a friend in junior school, which also stuck. Even teachers called me it.

And yes, big fans of this thread we are!

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
« Reply #626 on: January 30, 2021, 09:02:41 AM »
looking forward to the battle reports for this campaign

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #627 on: January 30, 2021, 03:16:34 PM »

Fellow Gibson! I figured that'd be the case. I was called Gibby by a friend in junior school, which also stuck. Even teachers called me it.

And yes, big fans of this thread we are!

Hmmm... I smell a Gibsonian hive mind ;) What's the plural noun?  lol

Just thought I'd share this, as there are a lot of kitbashers and converters on this thread, might be of interest to some:

_____

In case people are curious about Fireforge's Spanish infantry, because I've yet to see a single person, anywhere, post pictures of them - a quick review.

For 24£ you get 12 models. This is a pretty hefty whack for what are essentially 'Forgotten World' scale versions of the Templar and Teutonic infantry, albeit with some armour and clothing variants you can't find in those kits.

Box - nothing special, just a white box with the Fireforge logo and a pic of the model renders. Doesn't really matter to me but it doesn't have the incredible production values of Fireforge's historical medieval line with the amazing box artwork.

Inside the box - you get a bunch of resin sprues identical to the style used in the Forgotten World release, and a handful of plastic spears and Renedra square bases. They're generous with the spears at least.

Quality - mostly good. The Forgotten World resin release were marred by some pretty poor quality casts with 'laddering' apparent on smooth flowing textures like cloaks, capes etc. That happily doesn't seem to be the case here, although unhappily, three of the heads have come out as pretty poor miscasts with the entire bottom half of the face missing (see third pic, heads #2, #8 and #9). Doesn't stop me, as I've got a huge bits box, but if you were buying the kit as a newcomer it'd be frustrating.

I can't speak for historicity and general period accuracy as I never studied medieval Spanish history. But these guys could cover a wide range of roles, especially in a low-fantasy army.

Other things: It'd be nice to see some more variation in the weapons - sword arms are pretty samey, and a bit bendy (inevitable with resin). The resin used is the same type as the Forgotten World minis, so it's very soft and bendy in general.

Would I recommend the kit? Not sure. If this was priced like Fireforge's other kits, it'd be an instant yes. For £2 per model, any flaws or miscasts feel really noticeable.
I'll post up some more pictures of these guys in due course - they're going to be fairly heavily kitbashed, but hopefully this helps anyone out who was on the fence about them.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: The Black Order - Kit Review (Spanish Heavy Inf, Fireforge)
« Reply #628 on: January 30, 2021, 03:49:36 PM »
Thanks for the review of the Spanish infantry. Very disappointing result in my opinion.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: The Black Order - Kit Review (Spanish Heavy Inf, Fireforge)
« Reply #629 on: January 30, 2021, 11:44:22 PM »
Thank you! I see some interesting legs especially, but the arms are underwhelming. Fireforge can be such a mixed bag, some parts are great and others just a little lacking.