Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:44:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689715
  • Total Topics: 118289
  • Online Today: 768
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Comment once, updated forever  (Read 2330 times)

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
Comment once, updated forever
« on: March 15, 2018, 02:37:13 PM »
So... There are some threads that I have made one comment on. The threads get daily, or multi-daily updates and I've honestly lost interest in the topics, but nearly every time I hit "Show new replies to your post" it comes up. How can I take myself off this thread's updates?? It gets very tiresome to see it everyday sometimes every few hours....
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
Re: Comment once, updated forever
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 07:47:50 PM »
+1 on this. I hope there’s a solution.

Offline Deano

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Steve Dean Painting
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 09:23:40 PM »
click the 'Unnotify' button next to the 'Reply' button.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 11:41:31 PM »
click the 'Unnotify' button next to the 'Reply' button.

Sadly that does not seem to work. I went to the thread, and it was at "Notify", so that was never turned on. This notification comes because I commented on this thread once... like two years ago and now it does not stop updating.

:(

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 12:22:19 AM »
I would guess that at some point you set the system to always notify after any comment that you made, in which case I believe the thread-specific button is irrelevant. Have you tried the following path (from menu bar):

Profile -> Account Settings -> Modify Profile -> Notifications

You’ll get a page that covers  your notification settings in some detail, including a general switch off
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 12:27:31 AM by Silent Invader »
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 05:01:16 AM »
I don't think the issue is with notifications, but rather with the search query view for "replies to my posts".

If so, I don't think there is an option to deactivate that. Apparently, the database considers every post made after a post you made in a given topic to be a reply to your post, even if it isn't a quote. Thus, they show up in the query results.

I don't use the function, anyway - I only check for any unread topics. I'm afraid you'll have to use the Ignore 1.0 function for that.

Offline MartinR

• Scientist
    • The games we play
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 07:13:45 AM »
As Chris says, it is just running a database query, and I guess the query is returning all threads in which your account has been active. I've no idea how it would figure out specific quoted replies.

The query parameters appear in the URL so you could try different options, that was how I came across the undocumented unread; all ; parameter, which is a far more useful search term than just unread since last visits.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 07:36:19 AM »
I use the show replies to your posts option a lot.

There are a couple of ways of managing it
1. Just ignore stufff - much easier to do if the thread isn’t updated too much
2. About once a month I hit the mark all read button
3. You can actually go back and delete your post on the thread in question. I’ve done this once or twice, mainly on sales threads.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 05:55:20 PM »
I don't think the issue is with notifications, but rather with the search query view for "replies to my posts".

If so, I don't think there is an option to deactivate that. Apparently, the database considers every post made after a post you made in a given topic to be a reply to your post, even if it isn't a quote. Thus, they show up in the query results.

I don't use the function, anyway - I only check for any unread topics. I'm afraid you'll have to use the Ignore 1.0 function for that.
As Chris says, it is just running a database query, and I guess the query is returning all threads in which your account has been active. I've no idea how it would figure out specific quoted replies.

The query parameters appear in the URL so you could try different options, that was how I came across the undocumented unread; all ; parameter, which is a far more useful search term than just unread since last visits.

3. You can actually go back and delete your post on the thread in question. I’ve done this once or twice, mainly on sales threads.

Thank you so much chaps! I was worried there was no way to turn this off. Generally for the threads that dont get updated often, it's no big deal. Sometimes when old ones come up I take a look to see the update. But the irritation is the thread or two that get, what seems like, hourly updates... Ironically instead of prompting interest, it has the exact opposite effect.

I'll just refresh my stuff some other way, and try to find and delete my own comment. Hopefully that is a workaround.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 04:43:26 PM »

How do I delete a comment? I see how to modify and such, but not how to delete.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 06:50:46 PM »
How do I delete a comment? I see how to modify and such, but not how to delete.

Good question. There used to be a button to do this on your own posts. But I can't see it now, perhaps this changed with the forum upgrade?