Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:57:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm British Colonial Infantry  (Read 3667 times)

Offline punkrabbitt

• Scientist
  • Let's do this!
    • Punkrabbitt Publishing
28mm British Colonial Infantry
« on: March 16, 2018, 12:48:48 AM »
I ordered some British Colonial troops by Perry Bros. from thewarstore.com. I ordered last Friday, in my mailbox today. I have been doing business with Neal longer than I can remember, and he has always been the best.

I ordered a box of plastics (36 per box) and a pack of six metal soldiers to bring the whole group up to 42 models. After assembling a few plastic soldiers and basing a few metal ones, I can safely say that they scale perfectly with each other, which is not always the case with Warlord or GW. As an added bonus, each command sprue has a tiny dog, which wins high cuteness points with my wife.

The box of plastics was supposed to have 36 soldiers, but instead only had 34; it appears that they included one too many 3-man command sprues (three of them) and one too few 5-man soldier sprues (five of them.) I am going to e-mail Perry about this to see if it can be resolved.

Does anyone know of a historic precedent for including a small dog with British infantry in either Afgahnistan or the Sudan? Thank you.
Hi! I'm Harry. I am a hobby addict; I game sci-fi, fantasy, and historical (including Ancients, Dark Ages, Renaissance, and World War II Manchukuo.)

Please visit my OSR products for sale at www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/17194/Punkrabbitt-Publishing

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
Re: 28mm British Colonial Infantry
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 03:00:42 AM »
The 'small dog' is a tribute to Bobbie, the regimental mascot of the 66th Foot, who was with the regiment at the Battle of Maiwand.

https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local-news/memorial-dog-hero-maiwand-4266796

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 09:41:29 AM »

I believe Bobbie is still around. I think he's in a museum in Salisbury (so maybe pack your NBC suit if you're planning on paying him a visit):

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline punkrabbitt

• Scientist
  • Let's do this!
    • Punkrabbitt Publishing
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 10:14:32 PM »
Thanks, guys! I figured there woukd be a story in there!

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 11:41:54 PM »
The NEXT story is how he killed the enemy lying in front of him in the painting.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 11:46:21 PM »
Here's a link to the page devoted to dogs in the Second Afghan War, Bobbie included, over at Garen Ewing's excellent website dedicated to the conflict:

http://www.garenewing.co.uk/angloafghanwar/articles/dogs.php
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline punkrabbitt

• Scientist
  • Let's do this!
    • Punkrabbitt Publishing
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 12:12:36 AM »
I am happy to report that Alan Perry has responded, and is sending a replacement sprue via mail.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 01:08:10 AM »

I believe Bobbie is still around. I think he's in a museum in Salisbury (so maybe pack your NBC suit if you're planning on paying him a visit):

Hey, that's pretty neat dog stuffing....I'm no expert like...but ahem...he even looks happy.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline punkrabbitt

• Scientist
  • Let's do this!
    • Punkrabbitt Publishing
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 11:42:48 PM »
I am pleased to report that Perry Brothers have sent me the missing sprue and I am happily able to finish assembing my company :)