Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:59:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: adding buttons to coats - 28mm  (Read 1328 times)

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
adding buttons to coats - 28mm
« on: January 29, 2019, 01:29:11 PM »
I'm pretty new to this kind of thing.  I've used greenstuff as a gap filler before.  Last night I added hair to several figures.  It was a lot easier than I thought it would be.  It has made me think about doing a couple of other conversions I've been interested in the past, one of which is making some single breasted figs into double breasted.  Would you use green stuff for this, or something else?  If you do it with greenstuff, how do you go about it?

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
Re: adding buttons to coats - 28mm
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 01:37:10 PM »
If you were to do buttons you could either go for small craft store pearls, the plastic ones for bracelets and such.

OR

You roll small balls from greenstuff or milliput and then cut them in twain. So you have to half orbs that you can then glue or stick to something.

Depends on personal preference, I usually go for the gs method.  lol
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 01:49:31 PM »
I suggest making buttons same as making round rivets with 2-part, 5-minute epoxy. Mix a batch, dip the end of a toothpick into it, then touch onto the fig. The size of the tip will determine the size of the rivet...er...button.

Very easy.

I found 5-minute epoxy is thick enough to hold shape and size yet smooth over.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 05:48:26 PM »
For really small details like this I use fingernail decorations, they're regularly shaped, ready to go and cheap. Lots of different shapes for different uses too.

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 07:39:39 PM »

Thanks for all the input.  Re: the fingernail decorations - you just glue them on with superglue?  I have thought about cutting plastic rod and glueing it on as an option.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 10:10:02 PM »
If you wanted a tool to make them then look at jewelry beading tools.
Here is an example:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-High-Quality-Jewelry-Tools-Jewelry-Making-Tools-Beading-Tools-23pcs-Set/32257059784.html
You can add dimples in the green stuff where a button goes and then use a beading tool to make the button.  Just another option.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Johnnytodd

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 04:40:47 PM »
Spread a thin coat of greenstuff on the coat, then find a very, very small diameter tube - like a syringe or plastic cover on electric wire.  Press tube into the greenstuff and voila! a button!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 06:24:12 PM »
For making small circles I have various leather punches. They can get quite small.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 06:49:45 PM »
Thanks for all the input.  Re: the fingernail decorations - you just glue them on with superglue?  I have thought about cutting plastic rod and glueing it on as an option.

Yes, even though most of them have their own adhesive too, I take the belt and braces approach. Although when I'm building for casting I remove the self adhesive pad first as the grip of the rubber can pull them off.

I'd also consider adding them to uncured greenstuff, like 10-20 minutes after you've done the sculpt, but again with a tiny spot of superglue.

Yeah I've cut rod for this before and even used punches to punch out discs, and they have their uses too but possibly a bit more time consuming. Also the "PING!" factor, when you can lose many across the room with the action of the cut. 

For bolts, which are very similar in form to buttons, I've also used tiny blobs of superglue on it's own. You need to practice the technique but it is very fast if you can get it right. Usually these will have a tiny peak or be conical in part so you have to come back for a very gentle sanding.

Perhaps try a number of techniques across differant mini's and see which you prefer. Good luck!

For making small circles I have various leather punches. They can get quite small.

How small and where from?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 06:53:43 PM by 6milPhil »

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 08:39:22 PM »
Spread a thin coat of greenstuff on the coat, then find a very, very small diameter tube - like a syringe or plastic cover on electric wire.  Press tube into the greenstuff and voila! a button!

I will try this as well.  I have a feeling I will have to smooth the front of the existing fig and then make a border for the new part of the coat away from the center.  That would probably dovetail with this as well.

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 10:39:54 PM »
Maybe old biro tips. Filed down or something. Just as an addition for the above!  :D Perhaps the tip of an artist pencil rather, with the smaller diameter.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2019, 03:06:42 AM »
Leather punches from aliexpress, 1mm in diameter up.