Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:12:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686658
  • Total Topics: 118118
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Hello from south Germany  (Read 1778 times)

Offline Andy in Germany

• Scientist
Hello from south Germany
« on: March 18, 2018, 03:22:23 PM »
Hello from Esslingen, south Germany...

I've been skulking about various wargaming forums, having tripped over them while looking for figures for my model railway, which is in the rather offbeat scale of 1:55. In model railway terms this is a tiny minority scale and requires you to make almost everything yourself.In particular figures and animals are hard to get hold of, hence my search in wargaming scales.

One of my 3 boys saw what I was looking at, and decided this looked far more interesting than Dad's boring trains. I'm very keen for all my boys to do something more creative than play on their smart phones, so I had a look around until I found the Pulp Alley rules. I watched a couple of the videos on YouTube and liked the way things progress fast without endless looking at rulebooks. This is important as I’m trying to wean the boys of computers, so things need to keep moving. Meanwhile I've been encouraging them by looking at pictures of figures, games and strange gadgets.

So here I am trying to stay one step ahead of him and figure out if/how I can keep them interested. At the moment we’ve got a copy of the basic Pulp rules and the Younger Son joined in painting some figures, and turns out to be pretty good at it. Meanwhile Middle Son is intermittently joining in creating a 'tank' which he insists should be steam powered and have a Gatling gun.

Meanwhile, I'm working on understanding the rules and making model buildings. The scenic part isn'r a problem for this old railway modeller, but the rules are taking some work...

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Hello from south Germany
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 04:05:05 PM »
Welcome  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 07:39:25 PM »
Herzlich Willkommen!

It’s a very nice place here.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 02:02:54 PM »
Hello.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 02:15:11 PM »
Welcome from northern Germany!
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 06:33:04 AM »
Hi !
, ,

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 07:47:31 AM »
my model railway, which is in the rather offbeat scale of 1:55

Hi Andy, ein herzliches Willkommen aus Franken!
Your Railway sounds rather interesting to me. I am doing wargaming/model railroading for years and like to see pictures of yours.

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 08:00:38 AM »
Greetings from Karlsruhe :-)
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 08:21:09 AM »
Hi Andy,

Great introduction, You've definitely pick the right mad house to join. The Pulp board going to be a useful resource for you, As author of Pulp Alley,is a member of the forum.
Unfortunately for you (but fortunate for the rest of us) You've declared yourself  a 1:55 railway modeller. It may be an obscure scale in Railway terms.For gamers its pretty much the top of the scenery wish list(along with decent water effects ).
Which means you've declared yourself a resource . Which will be enshrined in stoke .Once you post pictures of your 1:55 layout. :D
Michi is good source too.(  knows his onions when it comes to a good looking railway. ;) )so your bound to find inspiration for both layouts and games here.

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 08:33:55 AM »
Greetings from (near) Zurich.

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 12:05:36 PM »
Welcome.  :)

Your knowledge of 1:55 railways may be very interesting indeed! I don't know of any suitable tracks in this scale, except those of the cheap Fenfa trains which are quite good gauge except the rails are a bit too big. Could I ask where you have your rails from?

Offline Andy in Germany

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 08:05:19 PM »
Thanks for the kind responses.

I rather foolishly made my first post in the last week before my final written exams which will be happening (at last) tomorrow and Friday, so I'll answer properly when I've got a lull in the revision schedule...

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 06:15:32 PM »
Welcome aboard Andy!

HAVE FUN

Offline Andy in Germany

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 08:04:01 PM »
Thanks Dave...

I knew there way a post I'd forgotten to reply to.
Welcome.  :)

Your knowledge of 1:55 railways may be very interesting indeed! I don't know of any suitable tracks in this scale, except those of the cheap Fenfa trains which are quite good gauge except the rails are a bit too big. Could I ask where you have your rails from?

I don't know how much help I'll be: 1:55 scale is usually used for making models of Narow Gauge prototypes, either using 12mm gauge track to represent 2' gauge or 16.5mm (HO) track for 3' gauge. I use it to roughly represent metre gauge which is a common narrow gauge in Europe.

Unfortunately for you that means I just use normal HO gauge track with ballast up to the tops of the sleepers to hide my trickery. Metre gauge trains in Europe are often the same size as standard gauge trains (2'6" trains are as well, now I think about it) so I doubt it would matter.

A simpler option in the US would probably be to use 0n30 (1:48 scale on HO track) for all trains. That way they have the bulk for 28mm figures without the extra space needs of standard gauge trains...

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2018, 05:15:17 PM »
Thanks Andy.  :)

Yes I think HO is quite suitable for metre gauge tracks, which are/were used on secondary lines in Europe and colonies (BTW I'm in Brittany where quite a number of metre gauge railway lines existed till the second half of the 20th century).