Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:35:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Grom, Paunch of the Misty Mountains  (Read 2619 times)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Grom, Paunch of the Misty Mountains
« on: March 18, 2018, 06:49:03 PM »
The original and (to me) still the best. Although as I get older, that paunch of his doesn't look so bad.

It was just a quick job for Nick Eyre this one ... or should have been if I hadn't forgotten about it for weeks.

'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
Re: Grom, Paunch of the Misty Mountains
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 06:57:03 PM »
Very nice, lovely skin tones.

I am a big fan of the Grom in a chariot version.

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 07:38:37 PM »
Lovely paint job, the skin textures that you've achieved are great.

Not sure I've ever seen this version of Grom before,  such a character mini

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 07:41:35 PM »
That's superb!

Definitely the best Grom for me. Those old Perry goblins are the best Citadel ever did, I think - they've got loads of character without being too cartoony.

Offline marrony

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 07:58:10 PM »
Superb. The miniature is a classic in my view. Full of character.
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn.And the scabbard thrown away!' -Cry of the People by John G Neihardt.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 08:32:44 PM »
Cool. Got to love an old school citadel miniature with a modern paint job.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 09:40:05 PM »
Wahoo. He looks splendid.

Grom's Goblin Guard was one of the first regiments the young Nick bought. I got 3 sets of them, back then they came as 10 figure sets, 9 troopers and a command. So I bought the set with Grom, the Champion Crud and the Hornblower. I painted up a regiment of 24 figures, drafting in an old Night Goblin to be converted into the Std Bearer. I must have had some spare unpainted troopers, but what happened to them is lost in the mists of time, because I did these in 1984!
The standard is based on some 1984 Tony Ackland artwork. (Speaking of Evil Old Ackers, he's been a friend of mine for 20+ years and I got the original drawing of Grom from him, it's in the North Star office.)
The young Nick then did a crude conversion on Grom, sticking bent pins in his head for a crown and modelling a miliput cloak on him.
They did actually fight a number of battles, but nothing memorable.

Fast forward 34 years, and I'm reminiscing with fellow Old Timer Mark Farr of Footsore Mins, we get talking about old Citadel figures and I mention Groms, and how I ruined the original model lol. Then out of the kindness of his heart (what a Gent), he goes 'Sure I have one of those extra' and brings it to me a few days later!! It's of course mighty old and blue coloured, and I know it's best to get these figures painted before they crumble away. Rather than me do it and ruin the figure again, I asked Paul if he could paint it, and here it is!!

I've included here pics of my 1980s painted regiment, on card bases flocked with dyed sawdust.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 09:41:45 PM »
Released in June 1984, the Guard are solid based, but the Champion is slotta based from the RoR Flyer.

The Story of Grom The Paunch

Grom initiated the Goblin Wars when he slew Wulfrun Willowhand, King of the Northern Dwarfs, in a drunken brawl. The cause of the dispute is not recorded, although the relative merits of Old Sam's Brown and Bugman's Best may have been responsible. Grom led the armies of the Goblins in some of their most notable victories, for a Goblin he was a fine tactician and soldier. He was not a pure bred Goblin but of mixed ancestry and presented the appearance almost of an especially ugly Ogre. He was known as 'The Paunch of Misty Mountain' because he was so fat.

Grom selected his guard from the dregs of Goblin society - the outcasts; creatures who were half Goblin and half Orc. These guards were especially large and vicious. Their armour was scavenged from the early battlefields of the war, and their weaponry was forged at the Dwarf smithy of Zhuf Field after its fall to Grom's armies.

Grom was killed in the first onslaught on the Dwarf fortress of the Middenheim. From then on they were led by the regimental Champion, Crud Longbone. Crud was an unusually tall, thin and lanky Goblin with a distinctively long nose. Crud and the remainder of Grom's guards were exterminated at the final battle of the war at Mad Dog Pass.

Armament - Sword. Armour - Mail Coat and Shield

Dress - Leather jerkin and trousers, with mail coat and heavy iron helmet.

Shield - Assorted shield patterns prevail. Grom's shield depicts the death of Wilfrun Willowhand, with a great deal of blood and the fabled toasting fork very much in evidence.

Battlecry - 'Yaaaghhhruuuuuugh' - Goblins are not known for their eloquence.

Leader - Grom the Paunch of Misty Mountain. Grom has the attributes of a Major Night Goblin Hero, except that his layers of fat give him a Toughness of D and 4 Wounds.

Deeds - Apart from starting the Goblin Wars, Grom i snow chiefly remembered for the Atrocities of Zhuf Field. Many Dwarf captives were taken on this occasion, but all were doomed to a horrible death. On every day for the following month Grom had a hundred Dwarfs brought before him. He personally sat on each captive until the victim died of suffocation.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 09:52:13 PM »
Ha! That Grom conversion's tremendous in its own right: I love the crown! I like the fact that the standard bearer is a Grom variant too.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 09:57:02 PM »
I had a bunch of them years back - Grom, troopers and standard bearer - but I'm ashamed to say I flogged them off cheap in a big Goblin lot! Argh!

I'm now half-heartedly trying to collect them again, weeping at the cost of buying vs what I sold them for.

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 10:28:21 PM »
Brilliant work Paul. Still one of my favourites - I wish I knew where that figure is now.
Young Nick did a pretty neat job on the Goblin guard ... Grom’s crown is epic  :)
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 10:34:23 PM »
Still one of my favourites - I wish I knew where that figure is now.

There are a few on eBay for decent(ish) money, but the standard bearer, musician or (especially) champion? Forget it!

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 10:49:15 PM »
Just noticed I put rings on his fingers as well. Ha.

I think the standard poles are cocktail sticks, with actual string wrapped round them.

Offline Garanhir

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 11:56:54 PM »
My favourite Grom, but then I have a serious weakness for those early gobbos. I must say, the crown looks fantastic!
A life without festivity is a long road without an inn.
-Democritus

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 06:52:01 AM »
I have the original Grom on the chariot with Niblit in metal .
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com