Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:28:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: WotR Project Revisited  (Read 7711 times)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
WotR Project Revisited
« on: March 18, 2018, 09:45:24 PM »
This thread has now become home for the return to my WotR project, which has been somewhat quiet for sometime. Most of the minis were painted in 2011/12 so quite early in my hobby career.

Just a placeholder image while I sort out the AAR of a small WotR skirmish using a modification of the ‘Old West’ Fistful of Lead rules.

I’m still testing the mods but it includes units thereby enabling volley fire shooting and mass combats.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 01:48:59 PM by Silent Invader »
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: WotR Skirmish (using FFOL) - placeholder
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 11:38:21 PM »
Very interested to see how you get on with this Steve.
 8)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 01:55:04 AM »
Thanks Richard  :)

Regarding the rules, the basic engine is FFOL, of which my modding is entirely unofficial. I won’t go into the detail of the basic engine as there’s plenty of reviews and AARs on LAF and elsewhere. FFOL is available from Wiley Games: https://wiley-games.myshopify.com. It is my favourite set of rules (fun, simple, tactical, versatile).

This WotR mod of FFOL uses some of the Special Rules from various official supplements and from the official Horse & Musket version (such as Area Terrain and Ambush). The Unit functionality is built from the Goons mechanic that I believe will be in the official Sci-Fi version that is currently being kickstarted. Please be mindful that  I won’t be providing a copy of  the WotR QRF as much of it is a straight lift from FFOL.

This experiment is at a very early stage, with only the first test game played, which was limited to 8 figures a side (3 single figures plus a Unit of 3 and a Unit of 2). As each Unit gets only the one card, each side therefore started with a hand of 5 cards. The aim is to develop the mods through incrementally more complex and larger games, with the aim of being able to field a force of up to say 6 Units of max 8 minis per player.

I’ll comment on some of the mods during the AAR but the dice used are worth an early mention. The die allocated to each figure is used for Shooting, Close Combat and Recovery. The die size is a simple representation of the sum of a figure’s status, courage, skill and armour.

To start then, the figure reference sheets:

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 02:19:21 AM »
In game, the sheets are populated with counters that keep track of what is happening to the relevant figures. Obviously, figures can be laid on their side or markers used to achieve the same effect, but I prefer to keep the table clear.

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 07:37:26 AM »
Looking like a promising start to a medieval version - I've got a load of Robin Hood mini's that I'd like to try these out with when you're done  :)
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 07:50:30 AM »
Looking like a promising start to a medieval version - I've got a load of Robin Hood mini's that I'd like to try these out with when you're done  :)

Funnily enough, while I was playing I found myself thinking of your Robin Hood game at BLAM (2014?).

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 08:26:27 AM »
Looking forward to seeing how it plays out  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Black Burt

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 08:39:25 AM »
Looks interesting, I'm a fan of FfoL so I would like to hear more.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: WotR Skirmish (using FFOL) - UD: scenario added
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 11:30:02 AM »
Thanks folks  :). We’ll see how it goes.  ;)

The game was played solo without conscious bias. There’s no doubt that FFOL is at its most fun when played with like minded folk but in the absence of pals (or for testing) I still enjoy trying to optimise the play of each hand.

The scenario was a simple one. Two opposed knights, accompanied by a small retinue, happen to be traveling the same lane and chance upon each other as they enter a hamlet. A long-standing family grievance raises its head and whether motivated by hatred or honour neither will give way to the other, and so a fight ensues.

The following images show the table layout and start positions (which were diced for).

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 11:41:35 AM »
Brill  8)

Offline DonVoss

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 12:36:48 PM »
Really intristing to see how you play that out on a small table....great.

Looking forward for more action....;)

Cheers,
Don

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 01:23:40 PM »
Looking great!
Just as a thought. We've played FfoL with whole stands before. We treat each unit as single mini for purposes of cards/activation. Wounds become minis removed. We don't use the negative for wounds.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 02:08:38 PM »

What a good idea ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 02:10:40 PM »

Lovely photos too Steve, the whole set up looks great - board, buildings, shrubs, etc. Wonderful :-*

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: WotR Skirmish (using FFOL) - UD: first blood
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 03:34:34 PM »
Thanks all !  :D

We've played FfoL with whole stands before. We treat each unit as single mini for purposes of cards/activation. Wounds become minis removed.

Yep, I picked up that up from your SciFi Goons and have done something similar. Each Unit is dealt one card for its  individually based minis with one mini removed for each Wound. More on that below.  :)

The men of Rocheforde to the left of the table moved first, their Unit of 2 archers running forward to take the light cover provided by some bushes.

Figures in a Unit that are in base-to-base contact are Formed-Up and so move as a body. So, on playing from the one card, the two archers (who have the same die and weapons) are activated. Note that when the figures in a Unit have become dispersed, activation of the Unit is restricted and so cannot be of all figures but of a part.

The Hackneye archers were next up and they moved forward of their own column to bring the Rocheforte bowmen just within long range: two hits caused one  archer to be killed and the survivor to be Pinned.

Two hits against two targets behind partial cover at long range wasn’t just lucky dice rolling, as positioning was significant. By being Formed-Up (base-to-base contact) and by staying close to their Leader the Hackneye archers had additional Shooting modifiers totalling +2, which they made good use of.  Also, figures in Units die at one wound (W1) , rather than the more usual three, meaning that anything other than a Pin is deadly.  Note that while Shooting, Close Combat and Recovery are tested using the figure Status Die, Wounds are always tested with a D10.

With the threat from the Rocheforte archers presently nullified, the Hackneye’s Unit of three billmen run forward to close the distance but blocking line of sight for their own archers as they did so. The Hackneye man-at-arms then also advances to position himself in support. Seeking to regain the initiative, bravely (or desperately) the Rocheforte billmen run to meet them and the two Units engage in a bout of Close Combat. Both Units receive a Pin but the Rochefortes also lose a man killed. The Hackneye man-at-arms does not participate in this fighting as he is blocked by friendly billmen.

Close Combat is tested on a figure-versus-figure basis with any killed figure removed. However, for Units the Pin isn’t against the figure but is accrued against the Unit. When the number of Pins exceed 50% of the figures in the Unit, then the Unit is Pinned. As the Rocheforte Unit of billmen has two figures still in play but only  one Pin, the “exceed 50%” threshold is not met and so the Unit is not as yet Pinned.

With the middle of the three Rocheforte billmen having been killed, when the bout of Close Combat has finished the two survivors close the gap (not pictured).

When Formed-Up Units incur a casualty that causes a break in base-to-base contact of 1” or less, they can close up the gap. Thus, single casualties in a line will not immediately cause the loss of Formed-Up status but multiple adjacent casualties can.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 03:37:29 PM by Silent Invader »