Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:11:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686436
  • Total Topics: 118099
  • Online Today: 689
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: WotR Project Revisited  (Read 7708 times)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: WotR Skirmish (using FFOL) - UD: first blood
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2018, 03:38:52 PM »
More lovely photos :-*
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2018, 03:40:22 PM »
More lovely photos :-*

I bet you didn’t read the “rules” bit  :D

Only joking, I know you are fully immersed in a Fistful of Garlic  ;)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2018, 03:47:31 PM »
Looks great  8)

Figures in a Unit that are in base-to-base contact move as a body. So, on playing from the one card, the two archers (who have the same die and weapons) are activated. Note that when the figures in a Unit have become dispersed, activation of the Unit is restricted and so cannot be of all figures but of a part.

So the figures from that particular unit are just left for that turn not doing anything?

See, I read the rules bit  ;D
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2018, 04:17:57 PM »
Thanks chaps  ;)

So the figures from that particular unit are just left for that turn not doing anything?

See, I read the rules bit  ;D

:D

Correct (mostly). Imagine a Unit with 3 survivors is dispersed with 2 minis still Formed-Up and 1 single. The overall Unit has accrued 1 Pin which at less than the “exceeds 50%” threshold has no immediate effect. On activation the player has a choice of the two figures or the one, and either might suit the player’s objectives and tactics. However, dispersing the Unit in this way can be risky. If the enemy were to achieve a Pin against the single mini, then the overall Unit would now have 2 Pins for 3 minis, meaning the threshold was met and the Unit now Pinned. To discourage enemy players from  ‘gaming’ by picking off single minis to Pin the rest of a Unit elsewhere, players can sacrifice stray singles which entitles them to remove a previously accrued Pin at the same time.

Basically, Units are at their strongest when their entirety is Formed-Up.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 05:11:18 PM by Silent Invader »

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: WotR Skirmish (using FFOL) - UD: turn 1 completes
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 05:07:56 PM »
Both sides move their knights forward to be sure of maintaining Leader radius.

Bannermen within 1” of their Knights can activate at the same time so as to accompany the Knight but in doing so sacrifice their own card (Knights and Bannermen are not a Unit and so are dealt a card each).

With a gap at the end of the Rocheforde line, their man-at-arms moves into it and wields his pole axe against a Hackneye billman. Aside from the difference in dice size (D12 versus D10), the pole axe is a superior weapon to the billhook, which gives Rocheforde +1.  Hackneye lose their man.

Note that the Hockleye MAA fought only 1 of the 3 billmen, not the entire Unit. This is because the MAA was the attacker and by seizing the initiative in this way he did not count as Outnumbered for this first bout of a Close Combat.

Turn 1 is over.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 09:52:27 PM by Silent Invader »

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 10:29:24 PM »
Round 2 starts with the Hackneye  bill men successfully removing 1 of 2 Pins, which then enables them to  force a bout of Close Combat with the Rocheforde bill men: they inflicti a kill.

The Hackneye archers cross over the fence to try and get line of sight on the Rocheforde Knight. Despite their move he’s still almost completely screened by foliage, which counts as heavy cover, and so they both miss.  The Rocheforde archer successfully unPins and with the Hackneye Knight out of line of sight, take a shot at his Bannerman, which inflicts a Wound and Pin.

The Rocheforde MAA runs through the gap in the line and attacks the Hackneye Knight. Brave but futile - he dies. The Hackneye MAA attempts the same and earns the same result.

The Rocheforde Bannerman attempts to clear a Wound but fails to do so and Creeps behind the hedge.

Leaving his Pinned Bannerman behind, the Hackneye Knight charges forward as far as he can to engage the sole remaining Rocheforde  bill man, who is killed.

The Hackneye’s seem to have the upper hand. If the skirmish goes into a third round they have the numbers  (6 versus 3). However, the last card of the Round has yet to be played: that of the Rocheforde Knight.........
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 10:33:28 PM by Silent Invader »

Online Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2018, 10:51:40 PM »
Beautiful photos, really atmospheric.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2018, 11:01:25 PM »
Shplendid!
(Will it work for a 300+ figure game though Steve? ;))

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2018, 12:09:42 AM »
Thanks chaps  :)

Shplendid!
(Will it work for a 300+ figure game though Steve? ;))

No idea yet, though I prefer it to my own rules.

I can’t see any player managing more than 6 Units of up to 8 minis, so with 6 players 300 is theoretically possible. Which, coincidentally, is how we played the big games with my rules.

So I’m optimistic.  ;)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2018, 07:23:24 AM »
Only 26 ‘units’ per side unless you add another deck of cards  ;)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2018, 08:25:06 AM »
Only 26 ‘units’ per side unless you add another deck of cards  ;)

That’s an option  :D

Realistically, with so many cards a turn could take forever if played one card at a time, though with my old rules we started the game by effectively playing the 3 ‘Battles’ of each army against each other, so a lot of action could take place at the same time (which created some ‘fog of war’ as players concentrated on what they were doing some times to the detriment of the bigger picture).

It might be that bigger Units of say 16 work or each player gets dealt only 4 cards per round so can’t actually activate all 6 Units (giving a hint of reduced command and control).

TBH I don’t really know at the moment and finding out is one of the joys of experimentation  :D

Though of course this might all turn out to be a damp squib - but at least my WotR minis will have been played with and will have thereby justified their continuing retention*.  lol

*Not so much my The North terrain though, as I’m rebasing the minis with a sandier effect.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 09:11:05 AM by Silent Invader »

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: WotR Skirmish (using FFOL) - UD: First test game completed
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2018, 12:33:39 PM »
Sir Edward Mortimer of Rocheforde (the Knight in Murrey & Blue) has the last card of the Round to play and it’s a Deuce (a Special Card, which allows two dice rolls rather than one, with the best result being used).  He charges into Henry Pierce of Hackneye (in Tawny & Cream) to force a bout of Close Combat.

Leaders (no more than one per Player per game) die at 5 Wounds rather than the usual 3. While they can die slowly through Wounds accumulated, a quick kill can be delivered with the roll of a natural 10.

The two Knights roll and Rocheforde gets a 14 or a 3, with Hackneye getting a 1. With  13 Wound dice to roll, Rocheforde rolls mostly Pins and two Wounds. However, amongst the 13 dice there is a single 10 and so Henry Pierce of Hackneye is killed.

What had looked like it would be a win for Hackneye is now a loss with its remaining archers and bill men ready to flee the table, leaving their Pinned Bannerman to his fate.

The penultimate image show the final dispositions (the Hackneye Bannerman is out of shot to the right) before peace returns to the hamlet.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 12:46:11 PM by Silent Invader »

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2018, 01:05:09 PM »
I was pleased with how the rules played out - it was a lot of fun notwithstanding being solo.

Next steps will be to write-up the QRF (which won’t be copied here as it contains some straight lift of FFOL content). For the next game  I’ll probably increase each Force to 16 foot or thereabouts, and have them approach the village from the fields with a view to seizing and holding it. For that though, I’ll need more figures.

A few words on the minis. They are from a collection I’ve had for some years, which I thought was looking a bit dated. I’ve now realised that what I didn’t like was the small (20mm), darker bases, so I’ve started rebasing to 25mm with sandy-coloured bases. The contrast also seems to result in better pictures.

The images below show the two Forces in the game (each on a movement tray) and then a sample of the older basing.

It just so happens that I have started on building a generic sandy-coloured board (on which this game was played) that will serve as the basis for southern England (WotR), Iberia (Napoleonic Peninsular War), Arizona (Old West), possibly Afghanistan (Second Afghan War, though I might not keep that project), Sicily (WW2, 1943) and somewhere as yet undecided for Future Wars / Sci Fi. The downside is that I now have an awful lot of terrain that is surplus to requirements.......... ouch.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 01:07:15 PM by Silent Invader »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2018, 05:06:05 PM »
Great report Steve, the WotR mods seem to work fine. Can’t wait to have a go  :D

Jolly nice photos as well  :)

Online Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2018, 05:38:19 PM »
I'd forgotten how nicely painted those figures were. They're really nice.