Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:57:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New Fireforge Games Plastic Fantasy Miniatures!  (Read 8976 times)

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
New Fireforge Games Plastic Fantasy Miniatures!
« on: March 20, 2018, 06:10:11 PM »
Looks like Fireforge Games is planning a fantasy miniatures and rules kickstarter featuring no less than six plastic sets divided among two factions! The Kickstarter will feature the fierce Northmen and their opponents which are currently named plagued humans. The Kickstarter is planned for summer but will only launch when all miniatures are ready.

Check for more pictures and information at Wargame News and Terrain, my daily wargame news blog.

http://wargameterrain.blogspot.be/2018/03/breaking-fireforge-games-fantasy.html

These look superb to represent some popular fantasy Northern House involving wolves and the like!
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: New Fireforge Games Plastic Fantasy Miniatures!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 06:27:39 PM »
They sure are skirting very close to edge there, right? I don't know much about IP law, really do hope they don't get in trouble. Looks like a nice kit, good sculpting compared to some of their other offerings.

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 06:34:57 PM »
I understand the concerns and thought of those myself but that said, I think the miniature as shown is simply equipped with historical equipment and therefor not an infringement of intellectual property. Should they produce more specific miniatures/ equipment such as heraldry, then I think they should be aware of the dangers involved in that but for the moment, I think they're safe. They look rather cool though!

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 07:33:04 PM »
They look like normal figures to me, what IP rights would they be close to?
GW doesn't own "guy with sword", even though they probably think they do.
- Scott

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 07:33:09 PM »
Yep, you'd have zero legs to stand on complaining about that in court.  Personally I think that sample looks fantastic - if that's properly indicative of what they'll look like - excellent.  I fear it's a high dollar 3D print which is more detailed than the final products will be in plastic.  Love the aesthetic.  I'd absolutely grab some depending on price/options.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 08:16:53 PM »
I like Fireforge stuff a lot. I'm not sure about these though they are a bit meh to my eyes (not the sculpting just the style). Having said that I assume these will be compatible with their other sets so they might still be useful for kit bashing.

Offline Schrumpfkopf

• Mad Scientist
    • Westfalia Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 08:20:58 PM »
Another good set of meaty humans never hurts. I am a bit more excited for the new NorthStar HP humans to be honest tho.
westfaliaminiatures.com - proper stuff in 28mm

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 08:34:31 PM »
They look like normal figures to me, what IP rights would they be close to?
GW doesn't own "guy with sword", even though they probably think they do.

Not GW this time, but there is a Game of thrones miniatures game from CMON that got kickstarted, and I gotta say, looking at the model posted and looking at the north/stark army from the show...

Legal wise? Not a clue. But I pretty sure this isn't a coincidence.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 09:01:15 PM »
Calling them Northmen is a bit on the nose. If the plagued humans are just a horde of medieval zombies they could be alright, but if they are led by blue blokes on undead horses...
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 09:01:30 PM »
The bodies, arms, weapons etc are extremely generic and pretty boring. The silly, bulbous coal-scuttle helmets are clearly a reference to HBO's GOT Starks - it's a highly distinctive look. Mainly because it's so odd. Personally I thought they looked pants in the series, and I think they look pants on the figure too, but that's just me. I doubt HBO will bother litigating for IPR infringement, although you never can tell. They (or George RR Martin?) have, after all, only recently licensed an 'official' range of ASOIAF miniatures via CMON's much heralded fantasy battles game...

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 09:44:33 PM »
The bodies, arms, weapons etc are extremely generic and pretty boring. The silly, bulbous coal-scuttle helmets are clearly a reference to HBO's GOT Starks - it's a highly distinctive look.

Advanced Heroquest henchmen did all that first, including the bulbous helmet, and I think that's why I'm liking what I've seen so far. For some reason boring and generic* is how I want my fantasy mooks. They're there to die quickly and in large numbers after all.  :D

*They're so boring and generic it's very easy to forget they're lifted from GOT...

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 10:14:38 PM »
Ahh, Trask soldiers for Tame of groans , Or A song of flies and pyre....

They look nice enough, I'm sure they'll look great ranked up with a few perry bits thrown in for flavour, but I've always found firefroge figures to be a bit MEH on close inspection.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline The Red Graf

• Scientist
  • Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 01:42:15 AM »
It's my understanding that the Cool Mini or Not game is licensed directly from Martin and doesn't have anything to do with the show. Certainly if you look at the figures they don't resemble the show at all. Thank god for that in my opinion.
Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 06:33:53 AM »
I like Fireforge stuff a lot. I'm not sure about these though they are a bit meh to my eyes (not the sculpting just the style). Having said that I assume these will be compatible with their other sets so they might still be useful for kit bashing.
Seen a pic on Facebook and they are a lot bigger than their historical range.

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 06:36:49 AM »
The bodies, arms, weapons etc are extremely generic and pretty boring. The silly, bulbous coal-scuttle helmets are clearly a reference to HBO's GOT Starks - it's a highly distinctive look. Mainly because it's so odd. Personally I thought they looked pants in the series, and I think they look pants on the figure too, but that's just me. I doubt HBO will bother litigating for IPR infringement, although you never can tell. They (or George RR Martin?) have, after all, only recently licensed an 'official' range of ASOIAF miniatures via CMON's much heralded fantasy battles game...
Is all Fireforge Plastic so generic and boring, or only this Fantasy box?

Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/